JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 9th, 2021 at 6:13:26 PM permalink
This article/post from Sept 2010 ( https://wizardofvegas.com/hotels/gold-coast/ ) concludes by saying:

“Overall I was quite disappointed with Gold Coast. I had low expectations..... I will never give Boyd Gaming any business ever again”.

I just stayed at the Gold Coast for my first time on April 8th – 9th, 2021. I was pleasantly surprised overall, and from what I could find on the internet, they completed major renovations to the rooms in 2013. I think it shows. I would stay there again.

https://vegasinc.lasvegassun.com/business/real-estate/2013/mar/29/new-rooms-are-just-beginning-gold-coasts-renovatio/

Room

My room was perhaps a little bit small compared to some of the Strip properties, but it was actually pretty nice up on the 8th floor. It had a “boutique hotel” feel to it. The bathroom now has one of those trendy barn door designs where it slides back and forth. I found the bed comfortable, and there was actually a lot less hallway noise than what I experienced at my recent stay at BELLAGIO ( thanks to myVegas, which is another story ).

Another bonus is that they apparently have enough elevator capacity for the number of rooms, or at least the number of rooms they are booking. There was an armed guard at the entrance to the elevators, making sure anyone going up had a room key. So I guess I think that is a good thing, unless it is actually a very bad thing IF they have had some serious problems in the past. If they did have problems, I think they have been more than adequately addressed. I didn’t have any problems. I also stayed at PARIS this trip, and the elevators could get backed up a little there. There was no one checking room keys at PARIS.

The room had a coffee maker, which is nice to have - - I don’t recall seeing that on the Strip. ( No, the Cuervo did not come with the room, but that would have been a nice touch though ! ). But the room did NOT have a mini-fridge, which I like to have. The TV was a flat screen, but on the small side at about 37 inches diagonally.

Resort Fee

The resort fee nowadays is $35.14 per night (resort fee tax included), but that is waived if the room is comped. My stay was comped because I play at a Boyd property back home. I don't consider the Gold Coast much of a resort.

Gambling

For gambling, I liked the 25/16/10/4/4/3/2/1 Dueces Wild game ( 99.73 % ). The most common table game was Baccarat, there were quite a few of them and interestingly, not that many Blackjack tables. Even the big stadium playing area was Baccarat and there always seemed to be a lot of players.

Drink service was a little inconsistent. Sometimes very good, and sometimes no cocktail waitress to be found.

Full Disclosure ? Hahaha

Misc

Giant parking garage, it looks like a lot of the first floor is just being used to store chairs, maintenance supplies, etc.

Here's a blast from the past, several "funbook: type coupons
Last edited by: JohnnyQ on Apr 9, 2021
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
April 9th, 2021 at 7:05:40 PM permalink
Exact same coffee maker at IP Biloxi! Also Boyd property.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 9th, 2021 at 7:36:36 PM permalink
Added several more pix to the original post.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Filipp
Filipp
  • Threads: 0
January 23rd, 2022 at 1:01:48 AM permalink
I probably don’t earn as much in a week as this coffee maker costs
Be healthy - that's the main thing
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 3rd, 2022 at 4:41:28 PM permalink
Great property, great review. Was always one of my fave stays. Just feels comfortable.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DeMango
DeMango
February 4th, 2022 at 4:07:43 AM permalink
Quote: Filipp

I probably don’t earn as much in a week as this coffee maker costs
link to original post

Exact same coffee maker at IP Biloxi.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Joeman
Joeman
Thanked by
teddys
February 4th, 2022 at 7:26:34 AM permalink
Nice report, JQ! I must have missed it the first time around. Did you take advantage of the coupon for Cornerstone? We had dinner there back in May. I'd say it was good, but not great.

Quote: JohnnyQ

Is that the famed "Cuervo Gold and fine Colombian" that Steely Dan sings about? ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 4th, 2022 at 11:27:20 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

]Is that the famed "Cuervo Gold and fine Colombian" that Steely Dan sings about?

Hahaha, must be, right ?

I haven't been back to Gold Coast since the Trip Report, I guess we usually have pretty good hotel offers from Caesars so we stay there. And it looks like my offers at GC have dried up, although I still get good hotel offers from my local-ish Boyd property.

I didn't use the coupon for the Restaurant, but I did go to the Del Taco across the street because one of my co-workers who grew up in California always raves about it.
Last edited by: JohnnyQ on Feb 4, 2022
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
March 18th, 2022 at 4:08:59 PM permalink
The real gem of Gold Coast is dim sum at Ping Pang Pong. As good as dim sum gets for me, and the trick is to get there when they open to avoid a potentially very long line.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
  • Jump to: