Thread Rating:

adbynot
adbynot
  • Threads: 5
December 8th, 2009 at 2:30:35 PM permalink
Hello,
I have recently run across this website and this person and I was wondering what others think of this guy and the stratagies that he lists on his website. I do agree with him that everyone is most likely playing short term and therefore grinding out at the best games might not really matter, but what about the fact that he contiues to go up in demonation while playing (ala martingale system) and states that this is the cure for the grind. What are you thoughts on this style of play and is it worth a try?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
December 8th, 2009 at 3:16:35 PM permalink
As long as you play the optimal holding strategy, which Singer sometimes does not, then I have no problem with the Martingale if you want to risk a lot to win a little.

I wrote about Rob Singer in my blog recently.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
January 24th, 2011 at 3:05:26 PM permalink
I would advise to completely not even think about the stategy employed by Singer, stay the course and do things the correct way.
sevencard2003
sevencard2003
  • Threads: 15
October 22nd, 2011 at 3:44:18 AM permalink
i use the martingale strategy all the time when playing VP and BJ and it DOES give u a small win alot of the time. but overall i lose doing it and lose pretty big at times. i do it mostly for comps.
sevencard2003.blogspot.com
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
October 22nd, 2011 at 3:59:06 AM permalink
First, a point of disclosure: Many of you know that I have reported extensively on Singer's system on my website, including multiple video interviews wth him about his strategy and beliefs. This has caused all sorts of wild debate and criticism of me. Please, I would like to put that aside here, and just concentrate on this question:

Is increasing the bet level in video poker the same thing as a "martingale" in an even bet game such as the passline in craps, or black in roulette?

I ask that because in video poker an increased bet could hit a big jackpot such as a royal. So, as an example: betting $1.25 for five coins on a 25-cent VP game and then moving up to a $5 bet on a $1 VP game does not have the same potential outcome as betting $1.25 on black in roulette and then moving up to $5 on black in roulette.

My feeling is that increasing bet levels in video poker cannot be considered a "martingale" because of the potential for more than even money bets. Am I wrong here? Thanks.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 22nd, 2011 at 4:34:00 AM permalink
In some of the old mummy movies, when they open the tomb a curse befalls on everyone.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 22nd, 2011 at 7:31:22 AM permalink
Alan, it depends on the game being played.

If you're playing on the same machine, there are a number of them that allow you to go up to 20 coins with the Royal pay off being maximized at 5 coins, so a revised martingale would work on these machines, but of course, your upper limit gets hit pretty quickly.

But I imagine on a multidenomination machine such as a 3 play, you can start with $.75 and play 3 x $.05 x 5 and work your bet all the way up to $60 and play 3 x $20 x 5. But that gets very expensive quickly i imagine.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
October 22nd, 2011 at 8:04:24 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

In some of the old mummy movies, when they open the tomb a curse befalls on everyone.

Somebody ask FrGamble to spray us with holy water. Why take any chances?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 22nd, 2011 at 9:11:43 AM permalink
It's not a true Martingale, but it is a progressive betting scheme based on raising your bets as you lose. The simplest Singer system (he took his web site down a few months back) is as close to doubling your bets on a loss as it's possible on a VP machine... In my opinion. The fact that bigger wins can happen doesn't reduce the fact that your winning sessions are out stripped by your losing sessions in total value.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 22nd, 2011 at 10:16:52 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

My feeling is that increasing bet levels in video poker cannot be considered a "martingale" because of the potential for more than even money bets. Am I wrong here? Thanks.

If you consider it a Martingale when you increase your bet to cover your previous losses, then the potential pays for a particular bet shouldn't matter. Consider the field bet in craps, the column bets in roulette, blackjack or sic bo. Can't you Martingale those?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
October 22nd, 2011 at 10:36:47 AM permalink
Quote: sevencard2003

i use the martingale strategy all the time when playing VP and BJ and it DOES give u a small win alot of the time. but overall i lose doing it and lose pretty big at times. i do it mostly for comps.

Guess what? You don't have to use a strategy to lose. Why bother?
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
October 22nd, 2011 at 11:10:34 AM permalink

First, a point of disclosure

Thanks for the disclosure. I respect you for doing that.

A martingale in its simplest form is doubling on losing even money bets. You can get fancy with a Fibonacci sequence or other variations. Aspects of Singer's system shares traits with all of these:
- Increasing bet size after losing,
- Risking a big loss to chase a small win.

Yes, with VP you might hit a bigger win like a full house or 4oaK at the higher denominations. You may hit nothing and sink ever faster. Some may say it's dangerous. Others may say it's exhilarating. Anything can and does happen in the short term.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 22nd, 2011 at 12:43:50 PM permalink

First, a point of disclosure: Many of you know that I have reported extensively on Singer's system on my website, including multiple video interviews wth him about his strategy and beliefs.

Dude, this is a 'Singer Free' area. We've been deloused,
debugged, and have dug a deep hole in the desert. Don't
say anything that will bring the curse upon us again...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
October 23rd, 2011 at 9:36:59 AM permalink
EB is on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jump to: