ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 24th, 2023 at 11:47:01 AM permalink
The biggest gamblers losing hundreds of thousands to poker machines | 60 Minutes Australia

The solution is to put all players on a slot debit card and put a time limit on play per day. That may not fly, but that's the first suggestion.
There's a point in the video where they run a video poker simulation and show that the peaks keep getting lower after successive big wins, and the downward slope of losing is large until the next big win comes along.

I'd ask if the slot machines are too tight for the players and mandate they all be raised to 95% to 99.5% payback.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 24th, 2023 at 12:26:27 PM permalink
Clarification: these aren't VP machines - these are slot machines. A "pokie" is an Australian term (and note the video is from "60 Minutes Australia") for a slot machine that uses A, K, Q, J, 10, 9 as symbols.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 24th, 2023 at 1:42:25 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Clarification: these aren't VP machines - these are slot machines. A "pokie" is an Australian term (and note the video is from "60 Minutes Australia") for a slot machine that uses A, K, Q, J, 10, 9 as symbols.
link to original post

Yes, they refer to them as poker machines because of the A K Q J T.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
RogerKintSOOPOOodiousgambit
September 24th, 2023 at 2:38:14 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

The biggest gamblers losing hundreds of thousands to poker machines | 60 Minutes Australia

The solution is to put all players on a slot debit card and put a time limit on play per day. That may not fly, but that's the first suggestion

Are you like their parents or something?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Brickapotamus
Brickapotamus
  • Threads: 1
September 25th, 2023 at 10:29:05 AM permalink
Thank you for posting, interesting video.

Makes me want to move to Australia when I see what ladies as pretty as Lana consider husband material.
  • Jump to: