10 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Mission146Gialmeretringlomane
August 14th, 2019 at 1:47:39 PM permalink
I noticed a new video poker game at the Palms last week called Fire Poker. It is basically normal multi-play video poker, but the game awards random free spins with random multipliers. No strategy deviations to worry about. Pretty simple concept, I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to think of it. The game can also be played at VideoPoker.com, although a Gold membership is usually required for the hot new games.

Please check out my new page on Fire Poker for all the rules and returns.

The question for the poll is would you play Fire Poker, assuming the return was the same as conventional multi-play?

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 14th, 2019 at 1:52:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I noticed a new video poker game at the Palms last week called Fire Poker. It is basically normal multi-play video poker, but the game awards random free spins with random multipliers. No strategy deviations to worry about. Pretty simple concept, I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to think of it. The game can also be played at VideoPoker.com, although a Gold membership is usually required for the hot new games.

Please check out my new page on Fire Poker for all the rules and returns.

The question for the poll is would you play Fire Poker, assuming the return was the same as conventional multi-play?

If the return is the same as conventional multiplay, I would assume the paytable would have to be different (lower), to compensate for the random free games?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Mission146
August 14th, 2019 at 1:58:47 PM permalink
I've actually played some Fire Poker before. It's a fun game. The reason I like it, I think, is because the bonus round comes up relatively frequently and re-triggering seems to happen in a good amount of bonus rounds (maybe 1-in-3? total guess). Also very nice that you don't have to use some modified strategy.

Quote: Gandler

If the return is the same as conventional multiplay, I would assume the paytable would have to be different (lower), to compensate for the random free games?

It's a 5+5 bet per line (like UX).
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 14th, 2019 at 2:07:27 PM permalink
Gotcha, I should have read the rules in full, I don't play much VP.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 14th, 2019 at 2:13:33 PM permalink
The only thing I like about this is the Free Games concept, the multiplier concept has obviously been done to death already.

I wouldn't say that NOBODY has thought of this before. Spielo GTECH has a game on here that I've mentioned before called Triple Ace Poker, in that game, you get eight (I think) free games if your final hand is an Aces-Full Full House, 3OaK Aces or 4OaK Aces. Prior to the free games, you pick one of five cards that will either have a 2x multiplier (one card) 3x multiplier (two cards) or 4x multiplier (two cards) which applies to all of the free games. I also know that another set of Free Games can be triggered once per active set of current free games, but I don't know how many total times that is permitted to happen.

The nice thing about Triple Ace Poker is still that it is only a five-coin bet, but that comes with a couple differences v. this game:

1.) Free Games are obviously less frequent because they must be triggered by the hands described above.

2.) The strategy DOES change because the paytable for this game would be abysmal if not for the bonus feature. Two examples of this I can think of are that a Pair of Aces (no wild cards in this game) is the lowest paying hand AND two pair pays even money.

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily want to play either...but the concept of this Fire Poker kind of annoys me for two reasons:

1.) I have enough random events in my video poker life. Whether it is multipliers or free games, I want the special feature to be triggered by something other than just randomness. I want to know under what circumstances an event will happen.

2.) I would rather have MORE free games in lieu of multipliers. There are already 6,489 video poker games that involve multipliers.

Given the choice and if the return was the same, (and if I actually knew the right strategy for Triple Ace, JB did some preliminary stuff on it, but it's tough to figure out) I would play Triple Ace. You know what causes the free games, it's still five coins per hand.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 14th, 2019 at 5:23:45 PM permalink
It sounds like a game I would probably pass on. Just added volatility and variance.

On second thought, if I needed to generate a large handle I might play it,
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 14th, 2019 at 9:12:35 PM permalink
Glad to see this thread on the first day of the new forum era. Ive been curious about how much this feature added. Glad to see it's not a piddly ~0.01% like "Double Big Wheel Poker" is.

I might give it a stab, but 30 credits a round is steep for me.
  • Jump to: