Moysian
Moysian
  • Threads: 2
May 27th, 2018 at 3:04:14 PM permalink
I looking for some input from experienced video poker players here here.

I am working to learn the JoB optimum strategy, and spend practice time at . I use the training mode with "warn" turned on, and I have my cheat sheet nearby for whenever a tricky one comes up. I play 100 hand sessions, and then check results. Unless I am using the cheat sheet for every tricky hand, I am good for one or two "honest" mistakes per session, but the hit on my ROI metric is generally quite small. My hundred hand session generally ends with my ROI very close to optimum, but....

I have this annoying habit of making stupid misses, where the hit on ROI can be immense. My worst mistake today was failing to hold a third Jack (3 of a kind), on a hand with 5 face cards. Another mistake is missing a small pair, while I was sorting through other best plays with face cards. My questions are....

How much hours in learning/experience curve should one be plan to employ, in order to work out kinks needed to avoid (stupid) playing errors?

Aside from playing slower (and sober), are there any techniques that experienced players employ to reduce incidences of "stupid" mistakes?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 27th, 2018 at 3:51:40 PM permalink
Look left to right, then right to left, then L-R again before hitting button.
Ignore the face cards. Many times I'm distracted by two high cards and miss the low pair. I still miss a second pair on occasion when the first one is made of faces.
Practice, practice, practice.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Moysian
May 27th, 2018 at 4:14:40 PM permalink
Quote: Moysian

I looking for some input from experienced video poker players here here.

I am working to learn the JoB optimum strategy, and spend practice time at . I use the training mode with "warn" turned on, and I have my cheat sheet nearby for whenever a tricky one comes up. I play 100 hand sessions, and then check results. Unless I am using the cheat sheet for every tricky hand, I am good for one or two "honest" mistakes per session, but the hit on my ROI metric is generally quite small. My hundred hand session generally ends with my ROI very close to optimum, but....

I have this annoying habit of making stupid misses, where the hit on ROI can be immense. My worst mistake today was failing to hold a third Jack (3 of a kind), on a hand with 5 face cards. Another mistake is missing a small pair, while I was sorting through other best plays with face cards. My questions are....

How much hours in learning/experience curve should one be plan to employ, in order to work out kinks needed to avoid (stupid) playing errors?

Aside from playing slower (and sober), are there any techniques that experienced players employ to reduce incidences of "stupid" mistakes?

Idk how long it took me to “master” optimal strategy, but probably in the 8-15 hours range.

Idk of any tips, other than you’ll get better with practice. The biggest is probably “outside pairs” like where you get 5-3-2-9-5, because the 5’s are on far left and far right.

With dealt winning hands, make sure you are holding the proper hand that is highlighted in the paytable. Most machines will show you when you’re dealt a winning hand. Look up at it and make sure. Usually this is only necessary for high pair vs two pair.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 27th, 2018 at 6:07:28 PM permalink
I look twice. I also look up at the payable with any single pair (especially faces) and make sure it doesn't say two pair or 3oak. It's a very quick glance.

It might even help you to read them quickly to yourself. You don't have to say it out loud, just "five-three-two-nine-five" in your head . You will help yourself catch the duplication with the "sound" of it and find the fives. Kind of like counting a second by saying "one mississippi", it forces you to slow down just enough.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 18
June 4th, 2018 at 8:32:18 PM permalink
What I do is sort the cards in ascending order, ace high. Then after ace I "keep going" up to 5 as if it were ace low so I don't miss 3 to a straight flush A23-A45. Then I double-check, just to make sure that was right and I didn't miss a pattern that depends on suits (e.g. 3 to a straight flush). Hands with two patterns near each other in the strategy list I triple-check. Occasionally I find an error. Doing it this way, I can play at WOO and never get a warning. I don't care that it takes me longer; it's perfect play!

For example, when playing DDB, opening hand J5A84 (J and A different suits). I would read that as 4, 5, 8, J, A, 4, 5. If A45 have the same suit, it's 3 to a straight flush.
  • Jump to: