• Threads: 23
January 5th, 2018 at 10:01:44 AM permalink
Wizard Double Double Bonus Video Poker Strategy
shows 39 rules
https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/double-double-bonus/9-6/

There are another DDB reference for 91 rules
Pleased Scroll down for the Full Strategy on this link
http://www.videopokerballer.com/strategy/double-double-bonus/

Could somebody suggest a basic DDB VP strategy with a less than 20 rules?
May I reduce 39 rules?
If yes, what I have to drop?

Thanks,
Vlad
I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
BobDancer
BobDancer
  • Threads: 21
January 6th, 2018 at 12:47:38 AM permalink
It's easy to reduce the number of rules if you increase the complexity of the rules. For example, the Dancer/Daily Basic Strategy for 9/6 DDB has 24 rules, but one of them is:

AAA > FULL HOUSE > 3-of-a-kind others

It is easy to imagine that being three rules on another equivalent chart.

Another case would be the combining of different hands. Our chart includes 'AH' (where I'm using quotes here because I don't know how to show bold italics on this forum) to include 'AK', 'AQ', 'AJ' --- which all have exactly the same EV. Other charts typically list them separately. On any given hand, there will only be one of these, at most, unless you also have a higher-ranking hand, such as a pair of aces.

The WOO strategy (as shown on the video poker strategy calculator) does not categorize 3-card straight flushes. It calls them all 3-card flushes and physically lists them. Other strategy makers use some sort of notation that includes the number of high cards in the combination and the number of insides. It is easier to memorize SF3 0h1i rather than the 13 elements: '234', '235', '245', 346', '356', '457', '467', '568', '578', '679', '689', '78T', '79T', even though both indicate exactly the same combinations. The Dancer/Daily strategy actually combines these 3-card straight flushes with the SF3 1h2i straight flushes with no loss in accuracy.

How brief you want to get your list partly depends on why you want it to be brief. Are you willing to give up any accuracy in your quest for brevity? (Your signature motto "Never Cut Corners. Integrity is Everything." implies you are not willing to give up accuracy.) Is your goal ease of learning or putting it on the smallest piece of paper possible? Are penalty cards important? That is, from Ah Kh Qs Td 4s is not played the same as Ah Kh Qs Td Ah. Getting rules to accommodate this level of accuracy takes some space, and naming conventions.

If you are willing to forsake your signature motto and cut a few corners, one possible way to look at this is: how much EV does the removal of a particular rule cost me? The WOO and Dancer/Daily strategies do not look at this at all. They are going for 100% accuracy towards whatever the goal is.
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
January 8th, 2018 at 11:22:11 AM permalink
Great information, Bob. I'm just starting to get into some of the different rules for each game and it is very overwhelming! I mostly play for fun and entertainment, but I'm curious about the strategy guide below. It seems very simplistic and I've always understood Double Double Bonus Poker to be a very complex game.

How much of a difference is it between your strategy and the one provided below?

Are there other more thorough and easy to learn strategies?

I know Aces are very valuable in Double Double Bonus so I'm thinking there are a number of other "rules" that should be listed to accommodate this belief.
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 18
Thanked by
RealizeGaming
January 8th, 2018 at 12:32:52 PM permalink
All Jacks or Better type VP games are very similar. The strategy you have above is pretty good, but you may as well try to improve your EV. In DDB there is a bias towards aces, as follows:

3 aces > full house
2 aces > two pair
1 ace > two or three unsuited face cards

Also, if you have 3 to a straight JQK (e.g. JQK37), hold JQK, not just JQ. This is true for any Jacks or Better type game. In DDB, if you have JQA, JKA, QKA, hold only A (third exception rule above).

There are 3 different types of 3 to a straight flush, and where they appear in the list depends on how "good" it is. The best is three numbers in a row 345 and up, or missing one for each face card (e.g. 89J). The worst is numbers only missing two (e.g. 569). The middle category is anything not in #1 or #3 (e.g. 234, 568, 9TK)

3 to a straight flush category 1 > two suited face cards
3 to a straight flush category 2 < two suited face cards but > one or more unsuited face cards
3 to a straight flush category 3 < any face cards but > 4 to an inside straight

Finally:
4 to an inside straight [numbers only, otherwise hold the face card(s) ] < single face card but > garbage
4 to an outside straight with at least one face card (89TJ, 9TJQ, TJQK) > pair numbers; pair numbers > 4 to an outside straight numbers only
4 to a straight JQKA > two suited face cards
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 8th, 2018 at 12:36:12 PM permalink
Quote: RealizeGaming

Great information, Bob. I'm just starting to get into some of the different rules for each game and it is very overwhelming! I mostly play for fun and entertainment, but I'm curious about the strategy guide below. It seems very simplistic and I've always understood Double Double Bonus Poker to be a very complex game.

How much of a difference is it between your strategy and the one provided below?

Are there other more thorough and easy to learn strategies?

I know Aces are very valuable in Double Double Bonus so I'm thinking there are a number of other "rules" that should be listed to accommodate this belief.

I encourage Bob to keep discussing this, and don't claim to approach his expertise, but...if this strategy is meant to be for DDB, there are several things wrong or not included. Some of them would depend.on what paytable you're playing.

One example is, in most DDB paytables, you would hold a single pair of Aces over 2 pair, because 2 pair pays the same as a high pair, and the Aces are worth significantly more in a 4oak. This (your chart) is more like a generic JoB simple strategy.

I highly recommend you use JB's strategy calculator, with the paytable and game you're going to play plugged in. Print it out and take it with you, and refer to it frequently until you learn it. It's worked well for me.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
January 10th, 2018 at 2:41:29 PM permalink
Thanks for your thoughts Beachbumbabs.

I was hoping to start with a basic strategy and slowly work my way up to using the most optimal strategy. In order to get a close representation of the math required for one of my video poker games (Double Double MultiDraw Poker) we are attempting to create a simulator for the game. In case you would like to check it out, I started another thread here: https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/video-poker/30047-double-double-multidraw-poker-demo/#post622388

It is not perfect and still needs some work, but it is a very good start to show the game in the Double Double format.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
January 11th, 2018 at 9:37:18 PM permalink
Quote: RealizeGaming

Double Double format.

is it a new name format

twin twin format

http://www.realizegamingllc.com/dev/mdDDB10x/
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
January 30th, 2018 at 11:22:19 AM permalink
Hi Bob,
Thank you for the your review and very valuable feedback
I am lean to use your brilliant DDB strategy but can not find answer for DDB slide game question
Slide Poker Demo
http://www.realizegamingllc.com/dev/slidePoker/

How would you play Jh, Js, 5s, 6s, ks?
Most game you would keep the four to a flush, but with this game I assume you would keep the winning hand of jacks.

How would you play this hand 4c, 4h, 9h, jh, kh?

The original thread
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/video-poker/30128-slide-poker-demo-very-early-build/

Thanks,
Vlad
  • Jump to: