HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 21st, 2016 at 7:04:10 PM permalink
Has anyone participated in one before? Any advice as to strategy? I was invited to be a part of the VP Tournament at Harrah's next month. Not sure if you get to choose which game you get to play but I have the advanced Jacks or Better strategy memorized (minus the complicated footnotes). I'm thinking about participating.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 21st, 2016 at 7:32:24 PM permalink
Depends on things like if it's a speed tournament, or if most people will be able to finish their hands in the time allotted.

Dancer has info on such play.

http://www.readybetgo.com/video-poker/strategy/vp-tournament-2176.html
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
January 21st, 2016 at 8:04:40 PM permalink
A lot of the time for tournaments they have the auto hold feature enabled so it's just a matter and pressing buttons- you definitely do not get to chose your game- it wouldn't be fair at all if that were the case......
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
January 22nd, 2016 at 6:59:00 AM permalink
I've not played in one, but I've read much about them over the years. The vast majority seems to use double double bonus, so you might want to bone up on that. Or maybe not, because regular strategy isn't likely to win. The consensus seems to be you need to use a "go for broke" strategy, and then hope for some good luck. In normal play the little and moderate wins keep you going, but in the limited time you have to play you need to make some significant hits or you won't even get close.
BTLWI
BTLWI
  • Threads: 6
February 8th, 2016 at 2:55:42 PM permalink
I did a winter $150,000 one for total rewards at the RIO in November. It was all DDB machines and you had 10 minutes to play. Top 3 of 72 moved on each round so playing correct is not optimal. Playing to be the lucky player that hits AAAA3 or a royal is optimal. You needed to end with over 2000 credits in each of the 2 rounds I played.

I actually hit 22224 and was 5th in my second round but I don't think any correct holds would have made a difference. For example if dealt 2299 I'll hold just the 22 because a 45 point full house isn't going to win you this thing, but a lucky 22224 might. I'd also hold just the J if dealt something like KQJ all different suits. Again, hoping for royal or quads instead of a maximum of full house holding QJ.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
February 8th, 2016 at 4:16:30 PM permalink
I participated in a Video Poker Tournament that was part of the Fall Golf Tournament @ The Fremont in November 2015.

It was a small event with only 20 or 30 participants, a $10 entry fee with the winner getting 1/2 the total take( that was me winning $130).

A group of 30 Game Kings were set to tournament mode with DDB being the game. Each machine was set with 5000 credits. I believe you got 30 minutes or until you ran out of credits to finish.

Each person picked a numbered ping pong ball and sat at that assigned machine. We all started at the signal and the scores were recorded as people finished it at 30 minutes.

I finished in about 24.5 minutes or so, running out of credits. I got at least 3 or 4 four of a kinds, one of them being 2222 with a kicker for 2000.

I finished with 4700 credits.

I had been practicing on my Winpoker phone app for a week or so to train.

It was fun and will be looking for more opportunities in the future.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
  • Jump to: