Nickinaz
Nickinaz
  • Threads: 2
August 15th, 2014 at 12:10:03 PM permalink
Wizard, a possible error in your applet here. Very possible I may be missing something, but I really can't see it.

Twice now, I've gotten three to a flush (not a straight flush) with one high card, as well as a JK unsuited. The advice built into the applet tells me to hold the JK unsuited; your traditional strategy table tells me to take the 3 to a flush. The expected value stated in the applet for the two is very close, however in this arena even small numbers matter.

Exact hand:
Jd Kh 2d 7d 3h.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for a great website,

Nick
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
August 15th, 2014 at 1:56:56 PM permalink
Like most video poker strategies, there are always exceptions. With this particular hand (for the 10/7/5 paytable), unsuited JK is about 0.35% better than the 3-to-a-flush.

Here is a link to the computer-generated strategy, which puts unsuited JK higher on the list (i.e. a better play) than suited 27K, but if you look at the exceptions, there are some situations where the 3-to-a-flush is better than unsuited JK. Specifically, the following four hand shapes:

27K/9J
27K/9/J
27K/10/J
27K/J/A

In these hand shapes, a different color represents an arbitrary suit which is not assigned to another color:

1) the first suit can be any one of the four suits
2) the next suit can be any of the remaining three suits
3) the third suit can be either of the remaining two suits
  • Jump to: