CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
  • Threads: 2
June 8th, 2013 at 11:42:48 AM permalink
If my board contains an Ace, as well as two other off-cards of the same suit and two "garbage" cards (for ex., As, 7s, 3s, 4d, 9h), is it better strategy to just hold the Ace, or the Ace plus the other suited cards?
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 8th, 2013 at 11:50:17 AM permalink
Just hold the Ace unless the other two suited cards are below 6 (straight flush draw). Here's a very simple strategy for 9/6 Jacks or Better.

Welcome to the forums.
100% risk of ruin
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 8th, 2013 at 1:59:16 PM permalink
Remember to never hold 3 of the same suit unless it is 3 to a royal or 3 to a SF.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
June 8th, 2013 at 8:13:48 PM permalink
Thanks for the feedback. I've always thought I should only hold the Ace, but I was messing around with some "training software" recently that instructed me to hold the other two suited non-connectors. My initial thought was, "What? I don't think the math supports this," but I thought I'd seek out some alternate opinions.
CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
June 8th, 2013 at 8:17:28 PM permalink
Oh, one more quick question: if I have a K, Q, and J on the board (unsuited) with two other garbage cards, does it really matter whether I hold the KQ together vs. the QJ? I heard a claim that you should hold the higher pair, but it wasn't explained why, and it seems to me that it wouldn't really make a difference.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
June 8th, 2013 at 8:23:48 PM permalink
Quote: CheckCheckRaise

Oh, one more quick question: if I have a K, Q, and J on the board (unsuited) with two other garbage cards, does it really matter whether I hold the KQ together vs. the QJ? I heard a claim that you should hold the higher pair, but it wasn't explained why, and it seems to me that it wouldn't really make a difference.

QJ can make three straights--89TJQ, 9TJQK, and TJQKA, while KQ can make only two--9TJQK and TJQKA. However, the best play is to keep KQJ.

EDIT: See 24., 25., and 27. on this Wizard of Odds page.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 8th, 2013 at 8:25:49 PM permalink

Did I miss a memo saying that you break up KQJ? (AQJ and AKQ, I understand - discard the ace both times.)

In any case, I thought QJ would be higher than KQ, in part because there are three ways to make a straight with QJ (89T, 9TK, TKA) and only two with KQ (9TJ, TJA).

EDIT: What ChesterDog said...
djatc
djatc
June 8th, 2013 at 8:55:15 PM permalink

Thanks for the feedback. I've always thought I should only hold the Ace, but I was messing around with some "training software" recently that instructed me to hold the other two suited non-connectors. My initial thought was, "What? I don't think the math supports this," but I thought I'd seek out some alternate opinions.

You might have been playing BP or DDB or something other form of VP where flushes return considerably more or the other hands pay considerably less.
CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
June 8th, 2013 at 9:22:39 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

QJ can make three straights--89TJQ, 9TJQK, and TJQKA, while KQ can make only two--9TJQK and TJQKA. However, the best play is to keep KQJ..

Perfect. That makes excellent sense.

BTW, I have read the Wizard of Odds page, but it helps me to remember those plays when I hear someone explain the rationale behind the numbers. Once you laid it out, it made sense: of course you have more straight possibilities with the QJ.

I never seem to remember that it's best to keep KQJ. That one doesn't stick in my head for some reason.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I'm a years-long Hold 'Em player, and I understand a great deal about "odds-and-outs," and the probabilities behind hitting a flush or an outside straight - I'm just trying to translate this knowledge into the video poker realm. I appreciate your feedback.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 8th, 2013 at 9:24:10 PM permalink

It would be right to hold 3 suited with the Ace in games like 10/7 and 9/7 Double Bonus since the flush is worth 7 units instead of 6 in full pay Jacks or Better.
CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
June 8th, 2013 at 9:25:24 PM permalink
Can anyone recommend a good book or two on intermediate-to-advanced video poker play?

I'm especially interested in things like how much bankroll is recommended when just starting out. I'm familiar with certain Hold 'Em principles and keeping a bankroll that buys "x" number of buy-ins, but I'm not sure how that translates to video poker. Something like 20x the number of credits required to play a single hand?
djatc
djatc
June 8th, 2013 at 9:31:33 PM permalink

Can anyone recommend a good book or two on intermediate-to-advanced video poker play?

I'm especially interested in things like how much bankroll is recommended when just starting out. I'm familiar with certain Hold 'Em principles and keeping a bankroll that buys "x" number of buy-ins, but I'm not sure how that translates to video poker. Something like 20x the number of credits required to play a single hand?

I use Video Poker for Winners and it's got a great adjustable paytable (with appropriate strategy), and the biggest tool I use besides the actual strategy - bankroll calculator. You can plug in stakes, players club return, and bankroll or % of ruin and calculate the values for you. There is a 7 day free trial so check it out.
CheckCheckRaise
CheckCheckRaise
June 8th, 2013 at 9:52:33 PM permalink
DJ - thanks for some awesome responses. I really appreciate your time.
  • Jump to: