Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
beachbumbabsJohnnyQMental
April 5th, 2024 at 10:27:56 AM permalink
My son, David Plotkin, actually technically a member here, will be competing in the de facto World Championship Crossword Puzzle competition this weekend. I believe the worst he has done since 2016 is 4th place…. but the best he has done is 3rd place.
There are 7 handwritten puzzles over 2 days scored for accuracy and time, with the top 3 getting into a ‘puzzle off’ in a packed auditorium. David has made the puzzle off multiple times. When he started and was not in the ‘A’ group he won one year. It’s ‘Google-able’. The last few times he’s made the final 3 but has ended in 3rd place each time.
I’ll be cheering him on from Florida this year.
Anyone interested in his other talents can search this site for the Wizard of Vegas Triathlon.
Or any ‘entomology’ topics.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 5th, 2024 at 11:44:58 AM permalink
I very much enjoy these annual accounts of your son and the crossword competition. Best of luck to David in this fascinating competition.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 5th, 2024 at 1:07:43 PM permalink
Link to the tournament site

Six puzzles on Saturday; a seventh on Sunday, followed by the top 3 on a final puzzle to determine the winner.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
DRich
April 5th, 2024 at 2:41:23 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My son, David Plotkin, actually technically a member here, will be competing in the de facto World Championship Crossword Puzzle competition this weekend. I believe the worst he has done since 2016 is 4th place…. but the best he has done is 3rd place.
There are 7 handwritten puzzles over 2 days scored for accuracy and time, with the top 3 getting into a ‘puzzle off’ in a packed auditorium. David has made the puzzle off multiple times. When he started and was not in the ‘A’ group he won one year. It’s ‘Google-able’. The last few times he’s made the final 3 but has ended in 3rd place each time.
Anyone interested in his other talents can search this site for the Wizard of Vegas Triathlon.
link to original post

FWIW, David is also recognized by all the top trivia experts as one of the best in the US and internationally. and wickedly funny while playing. Brilliant guy.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 5th, 2024 at 2:43:10 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Link to the tournament site

Six puzzles on Saturday; a seventh on Sunday, followed by the top 3 on a final puzzle to determine the winner.
link to original post

The top few puzzlers often get separated on puzzle # 5. It is traditionally by far the hardest of the 7.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
April 5th, 2024 at 4:49:56 PM permalink
Has your son ever tried out for jeopardy? BBB might be able to offer some tips. I will be glad when they get back to regular play after all the tournaments
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 5th, 2024 at 5:41:12 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

Has your son ever tried out for jeopardy? BBB might be able to offer some tips. I will be glad when they get back to regular play after all the tournaments
link to original post

He took the test. He got to the second test and believes he got (likely) nearly all the questions correct. Was told he was on some sort of list to be called but never was.
I truly believe if he makes it to the show he has a chance to be a multi game winner. Hopefully we will find out! He has to start over again with the tests.
This has been discussed here in the past. If by some chance he makes it to ‘the show’ he will absolutely connect with BBB. They’ve met at the previous eclipse in North Carolina.
Another member, Teddys, has also been on Jeopardy and I believe won two shows?

David himself knows a few dozen participants from his Crossword exploits. There’s a large number of expert puzzlers who’ve been on Jeopardy.

As BBB has mentioned, a large part of success is ‘using the buzzer’, so that might be what holds him back if he ever gets the call.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 6th, 2024 at 7:11:12 AM permalink

link to original post

I enjoy your updates every year on this. Please keep us updated.

Go David!
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 6th, 2024 at 9:05:13 AM permalink

Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

He took the test. He got to the second test and believes he got (likely) nearly all the questions correct. Was told he was on some sort of list to be called but never was.
I truly believe if he makes it to the show he has a chance to be a multi game winner. Hopefully we will find out! He has to start over again with the tests.
This has been discussed here in the past. If by some chance he makes it to ‘the show’ he will absolutely connect with BBB. They’ve met at the previous eclipse in North Carolina.
Another member, Teddys, has also been on Jeopardy and I believe won two shows?

David himself knows a few dozen participants from his Crossword exploits. There’s a large number of expert puzzlers who’ve been on Jeopardy.

As BBB has mentioned, a large part of success is ‘using the buzzer’, so that might be what holds him back if he ever gets the call.
link to original post

I, with David's permission, highly recommended him for competition on J! to the contestant coordinators about 2 years ago. However, they have had a relatively huge personnel turnover in the past year or so, and my contact was among those who left. That's not all bad news for David, though.

The previous team was more focused on diverse, everyday contestants, to the detriment of stereotypical, perhaps higher-skilled candidates. This new team believes, as does the new head producer, that audiences prefer to find and cultivate superchampions regardless of demographics. So the weighting of skills, personality, success in phases of tryouts, has changed the casting process some.

I've played a couple dozen hard trivia games with or against David, and watched him compete several other times. He has every sign of superchampion ability, and he continues to study and improve his knowledge base. I expect them to cast him within a year, and I expect he will win a ton of money. Fingers crossed...and I'm going to try to help again this season if he needs it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
DRich
April 6th, 2024 at 1:01:40 PM permalink
As always, thanks BBB!

David is in solo third after the first 3 puzzles. That’s the good news…. The bad news is a ROOKIE is leading! At one point a few years back David was definitely the best in the world his age or younger. But now there are a few younger than him that are around the same caliber.

As mentioned earlier, any of the top 7 or so can make the finals, mostly dependent on diabolical ‘puzzle 5’.
DRich
DRich
April 6th, 2024 at 1:36:54 PM permalink

As always, thanks BBB!

David is in solo third after the first 3 puzzles. That’s the good news…. The bad news is a ROOKIE is leading! At one point a few years back David was definitely the best in the world his age or younger. But now there are a few younger than him that are around the same caliber.

As mentioned earlier, any of the top 7 or so can make the finals, mostly dependent on diabolical ‘puzzle 5’.
link to original post

Has a woman won the competition in the hardest group in the past?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 6th, 2024 at 3:55:15 PM permalink

David is in solo third after the first 3 puzzles. That’s the good news…. The bad news is a ROOKIE is leading!
link to original post

That "rookie" is Will Nediger - here's his bio.

He's a "rookie" only in that he's never competed in this event before. It's kind of like saying that Mario Andretti was a NASCAR "rookie" when he won the 1967 Daytona 500 (and he was; I believe that was his first, and only, NASCAR race).
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2024 at 3:56:56 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

As always, thanks BBB!

link to original post

Has a woman won the competition in the hardest group in the past?
link to original post

I’m not sure. There has been a woman top level competitor since David started competing but she’s a tad behind the top few men. She may have done better when younger.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2024 at 4:07:38 PM permalink
David maintained 3rd place after puzzle 4. However, he expects to drop to 5th place after puzzle 5, and stay there after puzzle 6. If so, the likelihood of making the top 3 is slim. He did come from behind once on puzzle 7. We can only hope!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2024 at 5:06:39 PM permalink
He is in 4th place after puzzle 6. He will need to clock puzzle 7 a minute faster than Dan Feyer, who most would say is the best in the world. I’d give David a 5-10% chance.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2024 at 5:08:52 PM permalink
Live coverage
https://www.youtube.com/live/CA11uvMBzf4?si=ersFwh5tCDj-vXcY
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 7th, 2024 at 7:16:21 AM permalink
David says he blitzed puzzle 7 and has a chance to move up into the top 3. Now just waiting for the puzzle to be graded.

It’s tough being a dad….
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 7th, 2024 at 7:24:22 AM permalink

He is in 4th place after puzzle 6. He will need to clock puzzle 7 a minute faster than Dan Feyer, who most would say is the best in the world. I’d give David a 5-10% chance.
link to original post

It looks like Dan had two errors on his last puzzle that nobody noticed at first; his Puzzle 6 score was reduced to 1750, putting him in 10th (and David tied for third) after the sixth puzzle.
Last edited by: ThatDonGuy on Apr 7, 2024
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 7th, 2024 at 7:46:33 AM permalink

link to original post

Did somebody drop out, or the judges found a mistake in one of somebody's earlier puzzles? He's listed as tied for third after puzzle 6 now.
link to original post

Looking at the standings, it appears Dan Feyer must have made a mistake. And David was faster that Tyler Hinman on puzzle 6, which David didn’t expect.
DRich
DRich
April 7th, 2024 at 10:52:02 AM permalink
Congrats to David and Soopoo. It looks like David made it to third place after 7 puzzles.

Are the finals puzzles cumulative with the first seven puzzles or are they stand alone for scoring?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 7th, 2024 at 10:53:45 AM permalink

Congrats to David and Soopoo. It looks like David made it to third place after 7 puzzles.

Are the finals puzzles cumulative with the first seven puzzles or are they stand alone for scoring?
link to original post

1 second head start for every 10 points of lead after the 7 scored puzzles.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 7th, 2024 at 12:18:31 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It didn’t make a difference. The winner won by well more than his head start. David finished 2nd! I always have to remind myself of this amazing accomplishment. There are a couple billion or so English speaking people who could try to win this. And David was number 2. Prize this year for 2nd was $3k. I’m gonna let him pay for dinner next week!
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Hunterhill
April 7th, 2024 at 12:24:44 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It didn’t make a difference. The winner won by well more than his head start. David finished 2nd! I always have to remind myself of this amazing accomplishment. There are a couple billion or so English speaking people who could try to win this. And David was number 2. Prize this year for 2nd was $3k. I’m gonna let him pay for dinner next week!
link to original post

You should be a very proud Dad. Congratulations!
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 7th, 2024 at 2:34:55 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It didn’t make a difference. The winner won by well more than his head start.
link to original post

"I don't know...that Y looked like an X..."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 7th, 2024 at 5:50:06 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It didn’t make a difference. The winner won by well more than his head start.
link to original post

"I don't know...that Y looked like an X..."
link to original post

That was just a paid announcer. They have a bunch of judges that seemed to come to a very quick decision that there was no error. But FOR A SECOND I thought he might have won.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 8th, 2024 at 12:04:56 PM permalink
Wow. Congratulations. 2nd place in this contest is an unbelievable achievement.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 13th, 2024 at 2:16:46 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

He placed 2nd!! I hadn't heard. That's fantastic! I did get a laugh out of his new profile picture, him at the podium with his back to the camera, working the final puzzle. You must be very proud!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 13th, 2024 at 4:12:56 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

He placed 2nd!! I hadn't heard. That's fantastic! I did get a laugh out of his new profile picture, him at the podium with his back to the camera, working the final puzzle. You must be very proud!
link to original post

Of course. Thank you! Terapined posted a link if you want to see him in the finals.
  • Jump to: