rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
June 20th, 2021 at 7:49:06 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Almost every ‘service’ person I spoke with said they need more of them but there aren’t enough people willing to work. There were only two waitresses at the Paris pool! They were continuously with full trays of drinks. Figuring $2 a drink tip I can’t see her making less than $100 an hour. Probably more with food delivery as well. I think Paris would want 3-4 waitresses at a minimum.

Many other examples.

It doesn't make any sense though. If you can't find enough waitstaff where you're serving $250 meals, how do any of the regular low end food places even stay open? Why would you stay working at a $10 a meal hash & eggs joint if they need people at a high end restaurant. Seems more likely they're being picky and not hiring.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
June 20th, 2021 at 7:51:35 PM permalink

No golf this trip. Wife wanted a ‘romantic’ trip. Whatever that means.

It's code for they want you to spend all your time and money on them. Men think it means they want more sex. Nope.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
June 20th, 2021 at 7:53:49 PM permalink
Only show we saw was ‘Fantasy’ at Luxor. Exactly what you’d expect from a Vegas burlesque show. I must be getting old, but I think I like the girls more in the teeny bikini tops than fully topless.
I guess the hockey game is a show as well. I guess I’m getting old, but it is just too loud in there. Apparently the FACE VALUE for the seats I had were $600. Double that on the secondary market. But it was a great deal! I got a $5 discount on the $100 sweatshirt my wife needed because it was so cold in there. Beer was only $20 a can in the Club.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
June 20th, 2021 at 7:57:13 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's code for they want you to spend all your time and money on them. Men think it means they want more sex. Nope.

It was all of the above. She does have some giant new bag from Louis Vuitton. I’m guessing less than $2k but more than $1k. She is worth it.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
June 20th, 2021 at 7:59:17 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

It doesn't make any sense though. If you can't find enough waitstaff where you're serving $250 meals, how do any of the regular low end food places even stay open? Why would you stay working at a $10 a meal hash & eggs joint if they need people at a high end restaurant. Seems more likely they're being picky and not hiring.

You would be shocked how much money waitresses at a Hash joint can make in Las Vegas. My daughter slings hash at a chain hash house in Vegas and makes much more money than the average American worker makes. Probably more than most people on this site make. I am not proud that she is a waitress after having spent six figures on her college degree, but she makes more now than she can with her business degree. She wants out of that business but refuses to take a 50% pay cut.
Order from chaos
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
June 20th, 2021 at 8:07:07 PM permalink
Also met DRich. He owed me ‘a drink’ but I wasn’t in an alcohol mood so he bought me some $10 coffee mocha latte creme iced drink to fulfill our bet. I’ll definitely golf with him on my next trip in November. We both may be moving to Florida. We seemed to have an easy time talking.

Also had breakfast with friend from Buffalo and his wife. He took us to some egg place near the airport. Made a good skillet thingie. He retired and was planning on working a little in Vegas. Ended up opening Vegas Vinyl selling old records, 8 track tapes, CD’s, etc. Must be doing well because he says he is so busy he’s exhausted every day after work. His ‘retirement’ is a 4 day a week job, and he says he often goes in on days the store is closed to do inventory, paperwork, etc…. My retirement is only interrupted by a few lectures I give each year. Easier..
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
June 20th, 2021 at 8:10:35 PM permalink

It was all of the above.

Lucky you
Last edited by: EvenBob on Jun 20, 2021
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
Thanks for this post from:
JohnnyQDeMangoJohnzimbocoilmanAussie
June 20th, 2021 at 9:08:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Let me condense and summarize for you. Arrived, check in, ate, gambled, bed, got up, ate, golf. Repeat in various sequence next three days. Depart. Arrive home. Look at all the time I saved you.

Must be fun to be you… imagine going through life and knowing that every day you wake up you’re EB…
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 233
June 20th, 2021 at 9:22:12 PM permalink
Hey SP. Good Trip Report.

We flew in on Sat 06/19. Somehow Mrs. Q got 2 comp nts at GVR. Of course it is nice here, but surprised by the $ 31 + tip taxi ride from McCarran.

We walked over to "The District" and had a good breakfast at Rachel's Kitchen.

Drinks at the pool were $ 16, oh well, it is vacation. Normally we don't even go to the pool, but we decided to despite the heat. The pool attendant told us the cabanas were $ 500 per day. Yikes !! We got a couple of good spots under some umbrellas instead.

Gambling at VP has not been good so far. Tomorrow, we are off to the Strip. My brothers are meeting us out here too. So a mini-family reunion/get-together.

Some of us will do O-MegaMart at Area15 later this week.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 49
June 20th, 2021 at 9:32:27 PM permalink
The price gouging on food, drinks, shows and swimming pools seems very high to me. If that is typical of the Strip, I will stay away.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.

• Jump to: