Lucca3927
Lucca3927
Joined: Aug 5, 2017
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 64
February 11th, 2018 at 5:56:32 PM permalink
We're planning a trip next month downtown and we're looking at the D. Opinions are welcome especially about:

MOST IMPORTANT: Is it aimed at the younger crowd?

Also,

1) Who's considered a high, medium, and low roller so I know how generous they are with their comps.

2) The rooms you've stayed in and their quality. The D suite would be nice for free but it looks like it's more for bachelor parties.

3) The overall quality of the casino, especially if it's to smokey.

4) How does it compare to the GN?

5) Anything else you'd like to add.

Never mind Trip Advisor. Let's hear it please.
"I should have bet black." - Winston Churchill .
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 81
  • Posts: 3729
February 11th, 2018 at 6:00:26 PM permalink
PLACE IS LOUD

get the highest floor you can to avoid the noise
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 10105
February 11th, 2018 at 6:14:17 PM permalink
Quote: Lucca3927

We're planning a trip next month downtown and we're looking at the D. Opinions are welcome especially about:

MOST IMPORTANT: Is it aimed at the younger crowd?



The noise downstairs certainly is, or perhaps a crowd of people who are not deaf, but would like to be.

Quote:

Also,

1) Who's considered a high, medium, and low roller so I know how generous they are with their comps.

2) The rooms you've stayed in and their quality. The D suite would be nice for free but it looks like it's more for bachelor parties.

3) The overall quality of the casino, especially if it's to smokey.

4) How does it compare to the GN?

5) Anything else you'd like to add.

Never mind Trip Advisor. Let's hear it please.



1.) I'm definitely a very low-roller and I got follow-up room offers after staying there on a (mostly) comped hotel stay. Of course, the average room rate would have been less than $20 that particular stay, anyway, so it probably doesn't take much to get comped that. My follow-up offer was a free night for any night purchased, which made the room $11/night for that, as I recall.

2.) I've just stayed in the regular King room and the regular room with two beds (I think Queens). The rooms were aesthetically appealing, mostly with the red/black theme that you'll see throughout the casino. The rooms were also very clean my second time around. I'm thinking they had an off day the first time.

3.) I didn't think it too smoky, but I was a smoker at the time, so I prescribe a grain of salt with my opinion on that.

4.) I've never stayed at the GN. In general terms, I think I like The D much better. The cocktail service was a lot faster and more consistent at The D. That's where my priorities are when I'm in Vegas.

5.) Yes, please read my review:

https://wizardofvegas.com/hotels/d/
Vultures can't be choosers.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3453
February 11th, 2018 at 6:36:02 PM permalink
D is definitely for the younger crowd. Cheap rooms, food, and Gaming.

Golden Nugget is the nicest hotel and restaurants downtown but their gaming isn't great.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1504
February 11th, 2018 at 6:42:48 PM permalink
The guy who owns it is a snake.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3453
February 11th, 2018 at 7:16:56 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

The guy who owns it is a snake.



Please elaborate. I had a high opinion of him.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1297
February 11th, 2018 at 7:43:55 PM permalink
Worst person to employees I have ever worked for, worked there six months. Itís almost an environment of fear.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 3209
February 11th, 2018 at 8:44:43 PM permalink
Note that the D's elevators don't work like most do - instead, you select your floor, and then it tells you which elevator you need to enter. There are no floor buttons inside the elevators, as the one you enter already knows where you want to get off.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1553
February 11th, 2018 at 8:54:39 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Note that the D's elevators don't work like most do - instead, you select your floor, and then it tells you which elevator you need to enter. There are no floor buttons inside the elevators, as the one you enter already knows where you want to get off.


This is a far better system than the Flamingoís elevators, which just donít work at all.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1504
February 11th, 2018 at 8:56:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Please elaborate. I had a high opinion of him.



I'm still pissed off when he intentionally diluted the value of a drawing drum that myself and a couple others controlled. He violated a few rules in the process of doing so.

  • Jump to: