MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
  • Threads: 58
November 18th, 2009 at 2:04:48 PM permalink
I have two questions about Pai Gow Poker at the M:

1. I have just started playing Pai Gow Poker, and have made a few observations. In the wizard's Pai Gow Poker guide, he states that players should be given the opportunity to be the banker, because the odds are drastically better, however, at the M, I have never seen anyone given this opportunity. The only opportunity that I have seen is option to play the unused "dragon hand". Are Pai Gow Poker players at The M being given a raw deal?

2. Next, there is a bonus bet that you can play at the M, where you bet between $1 and $25. There is a pay scale for the bonus bet that resembles a video poker pay schedule (I do not have the specific numbers), as well as a second bonus pay scale called an envy bonus, where if you bet at least $5 on the bonus bet, you get both the regular pay scale + the envy bonus. Does anyone know the house edge on the bonus bet for both <$5 as well as >=$5?

Thanks
So I says to him, I said "Get your own monkey!"
dk
dk
  • Threads: 20
November 18th, 2009 at 2:35:33 PM permalink
Quote: ChallengedByOdds

1. I have just started playing Pai Gow Poker, and have made a few observations. In the wizard's Pai Gow Poker guide, he states that players should be given the opportunity to be the banker, because the odds are drastically better, however, at the M, I have never seen anyone given this opportunity. The only opportunity that I have seen is option to play the unused "dragon hand". Are Pai Gow Poker players at The M being given a raw deal?

I've never played at M, but from experience unless you request to be the banker, the house will almost never offer it. Obviously, this is to their advantage since they have a higher house edge when banking. If you are playing by yourself, just tell the dealer you want to bank every other hand, and they should not give you a hard time. When it is your turn to bank, do not put your bet in the betting circle.

If there are other players at the table, you will have to cover their winnings when you bank. Sometimes this creates a negative vibe at the table sort of like playing the Don't Pass in craps (depending on the other players). For this reason, I rarely bank when others are there (unless they are drunk or terrible players, in which case I definitely want to bank).
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
November 18th, 2009 at 2:37:39 PM permalink
Quote: dk

I've never played at M, but from experience unless you request to be the banker, the house will almost never offer it. Obviously, this is to their advantage since they have a higher house edge when banking. If you are playing by yourself, just tell the dealer you want to bank every other hand, and they should not give you a hard time. When it is your turn to bank, do not put your bet in the betting circle.

If there are other players at the table, you will have to cover their winnings when you bank. Sometimes this creates a negative vibe at the table sort of like playing the don't pass in craps (depending on the other players). For this reason, I rarely bank when others are there (unless they are drunk or terrible players, in which case I definitely want to bank).

Thanks for that. Do you also not make a bonus bet when you are banker?

Also still looking for somneone that can answer the second question.
dk
dk
November 18th, 2009 at 2:42:03 PM permalink

Do you also not make a bonus bet when you are banker?

I don't make the bonus bet ever under any circumstances. Not sure whether or not it's an option when you're banking.
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
November 18th, 2009 at 2:45:58 PM permalink

I don't make the bonus bet ever under any circumstances. Not sure whether or not it's an option when you're banking.

I think that the bonus can be a lot of fun, just curious about the edge on it (maybe the wizard will know). On the third hand I ever played, I missed the 7 card straignt flush by 1 card (pays 8000:1 and my bonus bet was $5). I would have hit the $25,000 table aggregate maximum on that hand. Since then, I've come out even or a little ahead on the bonus bets. They said they are also installing progressive bonus bets soon too.
dk
dk
November 18th, 2009 at 3:05:09 PM permalink
I'd be interested to know if there is ever an advantage to playing the Dragon hand.

Seems like if your first hand had all the Aces, you could take the dragon hand and know the dealer is less likely to split 2 pair. Or if your first hand had the bug and most of the 5's and 10's, you could play the dragon hand knowing that the dealer is less likely to make a straight. I guess the same would apply if you see those cards in the other player's hands as well (e.g., if they ask the dealer or other players to help set their hand).

To be honest, I don't play Pai Gow Poker enough to spend a lot of time working out these scenarios, but if someone else already has, I'd be interested to know.
johann528
johann528
  • Threads: 8
November 19th, 2009 at 5:55:00 PM permalink

I never play the bonus bet either and get a lot of crap from the other players. I tell them to read up on it. At best, your house edge is 7.7%.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
November 25th, 2009 at 6:45:48 AM permalink
Quote: MrPapagiorgio

Does anyone know the house edge on the bonus bet for both <$5 as well as >=$5?

See the Wizard's page on Side Bets for Pai Gow Poker.
  • Jump to: