Thread Rating:

dogqck
dogqck
  • Threads: 1
July 15th, 2018 at 7:10:04 PM permalink
Can't afford either of the great attorneys on here. Can't even afford the one member here who plays an attorney on TV. I could try for a free initial consultation, but that seems dishonest at this point in time.
Question is, do you think adding one or two different cats to a standard BJ deck, with those cards affecting the BJ game, or a side bet, allow a parent to be issued ???

Some random sentences on the internet.

In dicta, the court wrote that some card games will still be patent eligible – perhaps those claiming “a new or original deck of cards”

Claiming a new card game, therefore, is now an exercise in claiming a new and original deck of cards where the rules are expressed as the meanings assigned to the cards in the course of the game,

We could envisage, for example, claims directed to conducting a game using a new or original deck of cards potentially surviving step two of Alice.

Alternatively, patent applicants
should look for creative ways to include structural
elements in the claims, such as the table, betting
implements or other features attendant to the game.

the court appears to have invalidated all patents directed to the gaming arts that do not utilize some form of new material objects (e.g., new type of cards or new physical playing board).
dogqck
dogqck
July 16th, 2018 at 7:11:35 AM permalink
Thanks anyway
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 16th, 2018 at 7:19:49 AM permalink
My IANAL opinion is, yes, but it would depend.

I'm about to test that theory myself.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 16th, 2018 at 8:25:17 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

My IANAL opinion is, yes, but it would depend.

Okay folks, once again I had to resort to this web search stuff so I could figure things out. It seems IANAL is internet jargon for "I Am Not A Lawyer".
So okay. The bright and beautiful BBB is not a lawyer. So what? I don't recall her ever claiming to be or to have been a lawyer. However, the more significant point is that as far as the internet goes and certainly as far as gaming patents go, of what value is a lawyer?

Isn't it Pai Gow Poker that was invented by someone who quite wisely consulted a lawyer, was given a formal opinion that card games were not patentable, everyone then copied his game and by the time he found out the lawyer had clearly done him wrong it was too late and his wildly successful game was in the public domain and could freely be copied by anyone as could its name and layout.

Maybe I should go read some updates on gaming law. I'll try to do that after I wake up.
dogqck
dogqck
July 16th, 2018 at 8:46:52 AM permalink
I value any input. Good luck, Babs
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
July 16th, 2018 at 10:08:03 AM permalink
I think a lot of free gambling advice is wildly overpriced. :)

No idea on your question. My guess is yes, based on no legal training or expertise.
  • Jump to: