dajakesta
dajakesta
  • Threads: 23
November 22nd, 2016 at 7:55:01 PM permalink
Hi guys, after winning a lot on thb and losing it all on uth, I'm going to try to do a very objective view of both games. If anyone would like to add anything please reply onto this thread.

UTH pros:

blind has a pay table
check for free
fold when you see the whole board
EoR is a bit lower (.01%)

UTH cons:

little to no control after a bet has been placed, leading to higher negative variance with premium hands
relatively more expensive compared to THB with the same table min

THB pros
Player has better control of their variance when playing their hands

THB cons
2x ante is sometimes a money suck
no paytable for ante
fold decision is decided by the preflop

THB neutral: sometimes a bad 2x hand might turn into a good "4x" hand
Last edited by: dajakesta on Nov 23, 2016
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
November 23rd, 2016 at 4:14:06 AM permalink
To me the number one difference is that Thb doesn't pay a bonus for premium hands.
I think thats why Uth and now Heads up holdem are more popular.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 23rd, 2016 at 5:23:51 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

To me the number one difference is that Thb doesn't pay a bonus for premium hands.
I think thats why Uth and now Heads up holdem are more popular.

I would agree with this. You sure don't want your royal on THB. pays 1:1. And even if you're not playing the Trips, you get odds on your best hands from the Blind.

I also don't like the forced 2:1 play on THB after seeing only your hand. I prefer checking less than premium hands by BS and being aggressive on 4x to that.

I liked HUH when I saw it at G2E, but haven't seen it in the field, so can't really say where it ranks.

Fwiw, the sweet spot for me, because I like the Trips bet, has been $10 ante and $5 Trips. If you bet equal or Trips heavy, you endure a slow drain even running good, but even on a non-qual 1x win, you make $5 rather than effectively pushing. I've been winning consistently doing this (double trips ante ). Again, fwiw and making no promises.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 23rd, 2016 at 6:06:02 AM permalink
too many places use the less favorable paytable for me to even consider THB whenever I've had a chance to play it.

With UTH, they don't seem to have a choice for lousier paytable or don't take it, in my experience. In no case is THB HE going to be as good as a UTH HE, either, unless I am very much mistaken.

These games take skill to play, a lot of practice and skill. A bad paytable is just unacceptable.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
November 23rd, 2016 at 6:51:40 AM permalink
Reread the OP... You basically said nothing good about THB. The only worthy note is that is has less variance, but if you're well funded this is a moot point. You also say UTH carries higher negative variance but that's missleading. It carries higher variance... Not negative or positive, just higher. What about when you have AK on THB and the flop comes 3-6-8 and you want to check it down but the dealer has K-Q and you are in an amazing situation and win? In UTH you bet when you more/less know you have the best hand and after that it's just luck... But I like that because it's a "little" bit more like real poker in which I can say "At least I got my money in good."

I like both games, for the record, and have played both a fair amount (okay fine, a lot). Irregardless of anything other than personal satisfaction, I prefer UTH.

...hit a royal in THB, then hate your life realizing it would have been $25k-$50k on a UTH table...
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
November 23rd, 2016 at 7:50:54 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

too many places use the less favorable paytable for me to even consider THB whenever I've had a chance to play it.

With UTH, they don't seem to have a choice for lousier paytable or don't take it, in my experience. In no case is THB HE going to be as good as a UTH HE, either, unless I am very much mistaken.

These games take skill to play, a lot of practice and skill. A bad paytable is just unacceptable.

I don't know what the house edge is but I have played Thb that pays the ante on trip 10s or better.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
November 23rd, 2016 at 1:38:37 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I don't know what the house edge is but I have played Thb that pays the ante on trip 10s or better.

I would like to know where that game is =).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 23rd, 2016 at 1:59:00 PM permalink
What would be the reduction in HE if that's the case?
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
November 23rd, 2016 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

I would like to know where that game is =).

It wasn't a good game I was just testing the water.
  • Jump to: