LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 673
May 19th, 2016 at 8:17:22 AM permalink
Wiz, please tell me the House Advantage on the strange Three-Card Poker rules I recently saw at a Florida poker room. It has all the standard rules, except as follows:
(a) There is no Ante Bonus payout. None.
(b) Pair Plus has the standard pay table, except a Pair pays 2-to-1 instead of 1-to-1 (but you must beat the dealer to win ANY Pair Plus bet).
With no Ante Bonus available, the House must have a higher advantage. But, PairPlus pays double for pairs. So, how much worse off am I playing this versus playing the "standard" Three-Card Poker? Any help appreciated.
miplet
miplet
Joined: Dec 1, 2009
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 1953
May 19th, 2016 at 9:05:37 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Wiz, please tell me the House Advantage on the strange Three-Card Poker rules I recently saw at a Florida poker room. It has all the standard rules, except as follows:
(a) There is no Ante Bonus payout. None.
(b) Pair Plus has the standard pay table, except a Pair pays 2-to-1 instead of 1-to-1 (but you must beat the dealer to win ANY Pair Plus bet).
With no Ante Bonus available, the House must have a higher advantage. But, PairPlus pays double for pairs. So, how much worse off am I playing this versus playing the "standard" Three-Card Poker? Any help appreciated.

I am in the middle of moving, but you (or someone else) should be able to modify the tables in the following thread. http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/all-other/21521-three-card-poker-change/ .
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1372
  • Posts: 22850
May 19th, 2016 at 11:20:45 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Wiz, please tell me the House Advantage on the strange Three-Card Poker rules I recently saw at a Florida poker room.



Can you tell me the name of the poker room? I'd like to confirm the rules before I spend time on this.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 673
May 19th, 2016 at 1:30:11 PM permalink
Wiz, my buddy and I went to the Creek Entertainment poker room in Gretna, Florida, a property of the Poarch Creek Native American tribe. Internet: (but no details on the Web site except to confirm it offers Three-Card Poker). Telephone: 850-878-6930.
This game is set up where there is a "special player" (rather than the House) who pays wins and collects player losses because Florida poker rooms are forbidden to offer banked table games. Court cases are in progress about whether this violates terms of the Compact Florida has with the Seminole Native American tribe, which has casinos in southern Florida. Just so you are aware, this is probably a sensitive subject for the poker room (but don't let that stop you!) My buddy and I wanted to see how the "special player" system operated, neither of us having visited before. The strange Three-Card Poker rules came as a surprise.
Thanx in advance for any attention you can give. And, thanx for the helpful posts by others. Much appreciated.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1372
  • Posts: 22850
May 19th, 2016 at 1:55:17 PM permalink
Thank you. Can you still play both bets totally independent of each other. For example, the Pairplus only?

Also, what do you consider to be the standard Pairplus pay table? I consider it to be 1-3-6-30-40, but maybe the standard is something else in Florida.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 149
  • Posts: 19182
May 19th, 2016 at 2:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Wiz, my buddy and I went to the Creek Entertainment poker room in Gretna, Florida, a property of the Poarch Creek Native American tribe. Internet: (but no details on the Web site except to confirm it offers Three-Card Poker). Telephone: 850-878-6930.
This game is set up where there is a "special player" (rather than the House) who pays wins and collects player losses because Florida poker rooms are forbidden to offer banked table games. Court cases are in progress about whether this violates terms of the Compact Florida has with the Seminole Native American tribe, which has casinos in southern Florida. Just so you are aware, this is probably a sensitive subject for the poker room (but don't let that stop you!) My buddy and I wanted to see how the "special player" system operated, neither of us having visited before. The strange Three-Card Poker rules came as a surprise.
Thanx in advance for any attention you can give. And, thanx for the helpful posts by others. Much appreciated.

Can players bank the game?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 673
May 19th, 2016 at 2:09:18 PM permalink
Wiz,
I phoned the CreekEntertainment poker room and asked (not trusting my memory). First, you cannot play PairPlus without an Ante bet. However, my buddy allowed the lady next to him to place bets on his unused PairPlus bet circle, and the casino had no problem. (Small town, VERY laid-back atmosphere, don'cher know?)
Second, they have a modified pay table for PairPlus bets where the player beats the dealer, as follows:
2-to-1 - Pair
3-to-1 - Flush
4-to-1 - Straight
30-to-1 - Trips
40-to-1 - Straight Flush
200-to-1 - Mini Royal
FWIW, phone is answered (usually) by the (one and only) Pit Boss, and he didn't seem too uptight about answering my questions. Again, many thanx.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 673
May 19th, 2016 at 2:23:23 PM permalink
I doubt it. I think there is a separate company that contracts to do the payout "stuff." Seems the "payout guy" (sitting at position 6, dealer's far right, with trays of chips) was having to pay $1 per hand played. (But, that might not be all of the $$ in the agreement.) The dealer dealt cards to each player, including the payout guy. Then, took the payout guy's hand and spread it as would normally be done for the dealer hand.
FWIW, staff in the payout seat were clearly NOT casino staff and were clearly VERY bored. If you could get the concession, it would probably make you money, but someone would have to staff it all the hours the place is open. In this poker room, they had 3-Card and Pai-Gow poker. Seems they had 3 staff, each working 40 minutes and taking 20 minute breaks. Two staff worked while one was on break. It might boost your bankroll, but you might lose your sanity. And, we played early afternoon on a Wednesday after eating a slow lunch in the bar-n-grill along one side of the poker room. We watched, and there was no 3-card play until just before we joined the table. So, there might be a lot of "down" time where you made no money.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1372
  • Posts: 22850
May 19th, 2016 at 3:21:55 PM permalink
This sounds like how to works in the card rooms in California, most of which are in the Los Angeles area. The casino can't bank the games so in theory the players do, with the option to bank rotating around the table. However, there are large and organized corporations that hire people to bank the games. Each table will have someone from the Corporation just sitting there, waiting for someone to come along and play. Recreational players can still invoke their option to bank in turn. However, if you do it on a regular basis you'll me made to feel unwelcome or get cheated.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
May 19th, 2016 at 3:39:14 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

...However, if you do it on a regular basis you'll me made to feel unwelcome or get cheated.

I agree that it sounds like the same thing California card rooms are getting around the non-house banked games rules. However, I don't know about the cheating part. Typically, players that bank will end up competing against increasingly larger action from the corporate banker in their effort to shrink your stack. Each seat is only allowed to bank two turns before having the role offered to the next player, and co-banking is allowed if a player who wishes to bank doesn't have enough to cover all the action. However, the corporation gets paid first. While the big corporate stack playing against your table stake isn't very friendly, I don't know where the cheating comes from.

In the OP's description, the corporate player is paying the commission for each player. In theory, this is how the house makes money on the game. A considerate move, because the other option is for each player to pay the commission themselves.

Note that in California, the corporate banks are usually operated by affiliates of other card rooms. Since each card room's corporation can't bank their own games, they work out reciprocal agreements for coverage.... which is still weird since they should be competing.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

  • Jump to: