Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 3630
April 2nd, 2014 at 2:39:51 PM permalink
Galaxy sure doesn't skimp on bringing in VERY intelligent and well known executives to their team. The world famous Bill Zender yesterday. Ron Marks a few years ago to lead their Sales team (he's since left). They've got a few people that started Shuffle Master on their Staff. SHFL/Bally's is definitely much bigger, but it seems Galaxy is going to make a serious run at them over the next 10 years. I really wish I had more money to put in their stock.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
Buzzard
Buzzard
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
May 1st, 2014 at 10:15:03 PM permalink
Bill started as a dealer, ala Dan Lubin But I don't think Dan can match Bill's dealing skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWE5hQWR2w
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
May 2nd, 2014 at 2:49:23 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Bill started as a dealer, ala Dan Lubin But I don't think Dan can match Bill's dealing skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWE5hQWR2w



Stop the presses! At one minute into the video Bill says that card counting is legal. Who knew?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
Joined: Apr 28, 2010
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 5692
May 2nd, 2014 at 3:06:58 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Bill started as a dealer, ala Dan Lubin But I don't think Dan can match Bill's dealing skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWE5hQWR2w



I love Bill Zender, but let me balance this.

For that matter, I don't think he can match my mathematical skills or game designs skills as a game designer, and he doesn't try to. And I can't do all the dice press moves he can do, and I don't try to, but that's not why he's so important in the gaming industry now, either.

For that matter, I also don't think he can match Gregory Flowers' Industrial Design skills as our Director of Product Art and Design, - and Greg never dealt a hand in his entire life, anyway. Now that we are all middle-aged casino executives, I think fancy press moves on some crap game from a generation ago are no longer important now to anyone, - except for trolls on this board like Buzzard trying to start a pissing contest, as an argument starter. Big fail on that.

Bill is a great game protection expert, and wise council, and we salute him on that, and we are very glad to have him with his expertise in the industry. We don't use him to bust out fancy dice moves with a flourish anymore. His expertise is now management, advisement, and consulting, and he's absolutely very fine. A tremendous addition.

For the record, I did fine on all tables all during my dealing career, and so had Bill. And We were both superb taxi drivers in college or in family life too, way back when, during Jimmy Carter's presidency, paying our bills, for that matter. I Dealt mostly dice and Pai Gow, and poker games, and did very fine every day dealing for years.

So asking us old-fart casino executives who dealt better dice way back when is very hard to dispute now when we all dealt mighty fine back then, as it is utterly immaterial now anyway, in the sense that shift-dealing is so long gone for us old casino executives; it's like saying "Who the f*ck drew better with Crayons when as a toddler?" Does it matter. [Actually, in this matter, it was clearly Greg who was the artiste! - And still is!]

This is a little like asking two automotive engineers of esteem, - "who drove a better taxi cab, back when you guys where starting out, when paying for college?"
WTF.

What matters is what we all do now for Galaxy. Glad Bill's here. His contributions will be vital. Enough said.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
Joined: Apr 28, 2010
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 5692
May 2nd, 2014 at 3:33:43 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Stop the presses! At one minute into the video Bill says that card counting is legal. Who knew?



Card Counting is known legal, as everyone knows.

So is getting 86-ed from a casino or flat-betted for it also. Now THAT people around here don't know, or wail about.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
May 2nd, 2014 at 4:45:41 AM permalink
Zender is good at game protection but he excels at business sense. He realizes that keeping the game going is important and that a casino should never appear to be sweating the money. A good customer service attitude is important. Attracting customers, keeping them loyal, keeping them gambling ... too many suits want to come on strong and piss off everyone at the table just to deal with one minor problem.

I think its this 'real world' attitude rather than just the 'math and rules' sphere that is critical. Gamblers can go anywhere now. Oh, its not quite like Seattle and coffee vendors, but its getting to be that way. Casinos have to attract and retain customers and its like keeping a giant assembly line going by tweaking hundreds of cogs. Too many executives want to machine gun card counters and will annoy regular players to suppress card counting. Zender's stance is card counters lose too and don't really take that much anyway.

I think Zender's focus is on the bottom line or running a casino: keep the customer happy. And above all else, keep that assembly line moving. Don't annoy players by focusing on pennies when you are going to lose dollars doing it.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
Joined: Apr 28, 2010
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 5692
May 2nd, 2014 at 4:54:16 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Zender is good at game protection but he excels at business sense. He realizes that keeping the game going is important and that a casino should never appear to be sweating the money. A good customer service attitude is important. Attracting customers, keeping them loyal, keeping them gambling ... too many suits want to come on strong and piss off everyone at the table just to deal with one minor problem.

I think its this 'real world' attitude rather than just the 'math and rules' sphere that is critical. Gamblers can go anywhere now. Oh, its not quite like Seattle and coffee vendors, but its getting to be that way. Casinos have to attract and retain customers and its like keeping a giant assembly line going by tweaking hundreds of cogs. Too many executives want to machine gun card counters and will annoy regular players to suppress card counting. Zender's stance is card counters lose too and don't really take that much anyway.

I think Zender's focus is on the bottom line or running a casino: keep the customer happy. And above all else, keep that assembly line moving. Don't annoy players by focusing on pennies when you are going to lose dollars doing it.



Exactly. This describes his business sense to a T.

We can go overboard with this balance by either siding with the game protection 100% of the time, or with AP's, but the game protection "arrow" is dynamic, and moves around, so any AP or casino sider will be wrong by saying "such-and-such posture is right 100% of the time- and that's HIS [Bill Zender's] position."

No.

You tighten and loosen as needed, as is reasonable for the circumstances of your joint, and always courteous in case of dispute, before enforcing the house law in the end.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
May 2nd, 2014 at 5:35:46 AM permalink
>You tighten and loosen as needed, as is reasonable for the circumstances of your joint,
>and always courteous in case of dispute, before enforcing the house law in the end.

That is the key. Keep the game flowing, a gentle comment to a shot taker will work wonders and if it doesn't you can always escalate the situation if you have to. Thats why the tell dealers to Dummy Up and Deal. If there is a problem, the floor will be standing in back of you and will handle it. Avoid arguments. Make the decision and enforce it. Jerks get explanations and instructions once, after that the dealer and floor are alert and will be ready to pounce on improper behavior.

Yes, fraud has endless varieties and endless clever gimmicks will be developed. Constant vigilance is necessary but most players just want to have some fun while hoping they win. The cheats can really hurt bad, but that is why Dealers, Floors and Surveillance are a team. Way back in the days of coin operated slot machines in pre-historic times when change girls existed, one of them went to her boss and said "A man is standing extremely close to a machine and he is winning". Vigilance. Now electric cigarette lighters don't have any effect on the chips at all.
Buzzard
Buzzard
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
May 2nd, 2014 at 4:40:07 PM permalink
" except for trolls on this board like Buzzard trying to start a pissing contest, as an argument starter. Big fail on that. "

All I did was post a youtube video on Bill Zender. Bill didn't have a problem with it, I bet. Instead of insulting me, I suggest you take some of that EZ money and buy a sense of humor !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
May 2nd, 2014 at 4:44:42 PM permalink
Not everyone who visits this forum knows that both you and Bill rose to your positions from being a dealer. That's something you should be proud of. Not think it's an insult, when someone makes reference to it. Welcome To Fruita !


Bill Zender entered the gaming industry in 1976 as a blackjack dealer at the now defunct Royal Inn Casino.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

  • Jump to: