minnesotajoe
minnesotajoe
  • Threads: 44
January 20th, 2012 at 2:08:54 PM permalink
I went to bet on some horses two days ago. I had vision to take 20$ bet it to show on the favorite in a race... then parlay all the money and bet the next favorite to show for the full amount.

First bet, the 1-1 favorite came in dead last. I was discouraged.

Later. I checked out a race. 9 Horse field. A horse that was clearly he best was at 5/1. Not only that, there was a 8/5 favorite, 2/1 second favorite, 3/1 third favorite!

So my horse was 4th favorite at post time.

I bet 30$ to win on the horse.
Did a 10$ Trifecta (20$ bet)... (My 5/1 Horse) WITH (8/5 favorite and 3/1 third favorite) WITH (8/5 favorite and 3/1 third favorite)

It came in:
5/1
3/1
8/5
--- I'm thinking.. 180$ for the win... and for the Trifecta... the Exacta WILL PAY showed 68$ for 2$ bet with the 5/1 WITH 3/1

So I am loving it.
INQUIRY
My 5/1 horse that won the race get DQd

I will never bet Horses again
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 20th, 2012 at 2:59:09 PM permalink
Congratulations on a result that turned out to be most profitable for you!!!!
minnesotajoe
minnesotajoe
  • Threads: 44
January 20th, 2012 at 3:22:21 PM permalink
haha... That made me laugh
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
January 20th, 2012 at 5:33:46 PM permalink
Not sure if you are betting horses up in Minnesota, but the fun of horse racing for me doesn't relate to the money at all. Delaware Park (a local horse track by me), offers $.10 superfecta wagers. Yes, I know these are terrible bets, but like I said before, it is more about the thrill and the atmosphere than winning money. I'll wager on horses to win/place/show as well, but for $2.00 I can have more tickets than I know what to do with. Its a ton of fun and I've seen the $.10 superfecta ticket pay as much as $5,000. I go with a bunch of my friends and just have a great time for very little money wagered. Throw in a few drinks and it makes for a great afternoon.

As a side note, I did hit the superfecta one time and I was ecstatic. The payout was a whopping $8.28. Even with my meager payout, I still celebrated like I won the lottery and bought us all a round with my massive winnings (plus some extra out of pocket).

Don't play the horses to try to make profit, you will literally go crazy trying to handicap them. Pick the best sounding Horse/Jockey combination and kick back with a beer in hand!

-Duck
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
January 20th, 2012 at 6:04:08 PM permalink
Don't give up on horses. And, dont make showbets on the favorite. The way to make money is by finding vulnerable favorites, and betting against them.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 21st, 2012 at 11:55:38 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

The way to make money is by finding vulnerable favorites, and betting against them.

By "vulnerable favorites" do you mean a horse of such great reputation that he is over-rated by the betting public? I think this would require first looking at the competing horses to see if they had some abilities which the market had not yet discovered. I understand most of the money made on horse racing is made on the formerly exotic bets such as trifecta or the like.
  • Jump to: