Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 20th, 2011 at 3:49:18 PM permalink
So last week the jackpot for a type of lotto game, Melate Retro, had climbed considerably and I decided to play. I risked the munnificient sum of 50 (fifty) pesos, which bought me ten lotto combos. The exchange rate has moved, but for simplicty sake let's take last week's, which stood at 12.50 pesos per US Dollar. Meaning my bet was $4 US.

I hit a few numbers, "winning" back 30 pesos, or, more accurately, losing only 20 pesos. Usually I'd buy my suual 5 combos and as many additional ones as the "free" money allowed me. but the jackpot did hit that time, so I decided to just pocket the rebate. Then I realized I hadn't played their Football bet in a while. it costs ten pesos per single ticket, so I could buy 3. I took 3 blanks, fille done myself, and had two of the toher girls at the office fill the other two.

I need to explain how the game works. First let me tell you about the lotto agency. it's called "Pronosticos Deportivos" loosely emaning "Sports Gaming," and it started with a betting game made up of soccer games called Pro-Gol. Back then each week you'd bet on the results, but not the scores, of 13 soccer games. You have three options per match: local wins, tie, visitor wins. the blank has 39 squares to be filled.

Ok. Later they came up with a lotto game called "Melate" which had the numbers 1 trhough 39, and you had to hit 6 to win the jackpot. That's a traditional lotto.

Anyway, eventually they came up with a Football game, called Pro-Touch. Again you had to guess the result but not the scores of 13 games, and there are three choices per match. Only ties in Football are very rare, and merely picking a winner makes the game too easy much of the time. So the choices are as follows:

Local wins by 7 points or more
Either team wins by 6 points or less
Visitor wins by 7 points or more.

The game's held on for many years, but it has a very limited following. The top prize is half a million pesos for getting all 13 results right. There's a complementary bet, included in the price, where you have to guess which team will first score a touchdown (specifically a TD, field goals and safeties don't count) and in which quarter. This bet only plays if you hsve all 13 results right. it pays one million pesos.

The prizes don't go up weekly if no one hits the jackpot, because they sell too few tickets to make it worthwhile (it does go up in the soccer version and in all their lotto games).

So I played three of these games with the "free" money. I got lucky and hit 11 results right. that's third place, usually worth about $200 to $400 US, as very few people hit that many. I was very excited.

Alas, this week lots of people hit 11, not to mention 12 and one hit 13 (whole seasons go by without anyone hitting 13). My prize? 230 pesos, or, at the rate we're taking, US $18.40.

To quote Amy Wong in Futurama "Splah!"

But it's not all bad. I'm ahead for this cycle :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: