Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
January 15th, 2011 at 10:08:44 AM permalink
OK, if you're like me, you've had enough of reading about atheists and God and watching MKL make a complete fool out of himself as he tries so desperately to get others to think he's such an intelligent brute to the fresh men in his class....and to all of you too! I also tire of watching him trying to weasel out of a bet while trying to make it look like he isn't. Very, very boring. I mean, who cares if he passes some geek test or not? His students will laugh at him either way if they got wind of it. I'd rather find out why he's already failed in life because he has no wife or children. THAT'S the kind of info I'd find interesting.

So, let's dump the better-safe-than-sorry intellectual theories and what-ifs, and get right into the cold stark reality of real life for a change, shall we?

I've already posted the bets I made in another thread. I bet on all 4 home teams to win and I gave points in all contests @ -110 because the home teams also happen to be all the favorites this weekend. I have $500 on both of today's contests, $500 on the early game tomorrow, and $1500 on the NYJ/NE game.

KICKOFF IN LESS THAN 3.5 HOURS!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 15th, 2011 at 10:30:28 AM permalink
I don't bet sports, but I am riveted to the TV when the Steelers play. As a bettor, the only thing I would fear about that game is, if either team gets up by two touchdowns, the other team probably won't get back in the game. And with those defenses, it could happen; I could see Pgh or Balt score, then on the next possession Polamalu or Reed pick 6.

As a Steelers fan, the next thing I fear is the difference in kicking games. The Steelers replaced both kicker and punter mid-season; Suisham has been OK on FGs but is short on kickoffs, and the guy who's punting (I don't know his name) is weak. the Ravens have a great kickoff man in Cundiff, who also makes 90% of his FGs, and Koch averages 43+ yards per punt and puts almost half inside the 20, with only 4 touchbacks in 81 punts... awesome.

Rev it up, baby.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
January 15th, 2011 at 10:34:35 AM permalink
Now this sucks, for both teams and the fans; from The Baltimore Sun,

Quote:

One of the NFL’s most physical rivalries might be reigned in Saturday by a strict officiating crew.

Jeff Triplette’s crew finished tied for the most personal fouls (seven) and unsportsmanlike conduct (five) penalties called. This group averaged the fourth-most penalty yards per game (114.9).

Triplette is most known for accidentally hitting Cleveland offensive tackle Orlando Brown in the eye with a penalty flag in 1999 and then getting pushed by Brown.

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 15th, 2011 at 10:37:57 AM permalink
Today's games will probably be the best games. I'm a Cardinal's fan, so I don't have any tie to any of the games. But you can bet I'll be rooting for the Steelers to get up by a couple of TD's early (however unlikely). Either way, the winner has to play in NE next week. We saw what the real version of this year's Pats did to them in Pitts already. Do you think they could beat them there if they got the chance? The Ravens are tough but their mouths run too much. They don't even deserve to win today, even if they play better.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 15th, 2011 at 10:42:43 AM permalink
Pats 27 Jets 21
Steelers 20 Ravens 13
Bears 24 Seahawks 20
Packers 34 Falcons 20

Those bright enough will bet Pats, Ravens, Bears, Falcons... as my 'predictions' are ........
Mosca
Mosca
January 15th, 2011 at 10:48:52 AM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

Today's games will probably be the best games. I'm a Cardinal's fan, so I don't have any tie to any of the games. But you can bet I'll be rooting for the Steelers to get up by a couple of TD's early (however unlikely). Either way, the winner has to play in NE next week. We saw what the real version of this year's Pats did to them in Pitts already. Do you think they could beat them there if they got the chance? The Ravens are tough but their mouths run too much. They don't even deserve to win today, even if they play better.

You can only beat the Pats with their help, IMO. You have to get them in a position to make a mistake, and then they have to make it. Pgh has made some adjustments since that game, but they'll have to play their close to perfect to win.

Generally speaking, Pgh's pass defense philosophy is to prevent the deep ball, and let the opponent dink and dunk until they either get impatient and make a mistake, or go 3 and out. Brady eats that up, he stays patient and the Pats execute well. Since NO and NE beat the Steelers the same way, they've played their DBs closer and rushed more linebackers to shorten the time receivers can stay in their routes. It's worked, but they've given up some long balls. They should have lost the Buffalo game, but the guy dropped the pass. Balt hit a couple long ones the last time they played.
Mosca
Mosca
January 15th, 2011 at 10:50:10 AM permalink
Interesting fact: If the Packers and the Seahawks win, Seattle has a home game for the NFC Championship. If they win, and the Steelers win out, there will be a rematch of the hotly disputed 2005 game.

Just sayin'.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 15th, 2011 at 10:56:03 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Interesting fact: If the Packers and the Seahawks win, Seattle has a home game for the NFC Championship. If they win, and the Steelers win out, there will be a rematch of the hotly disputed 2005 game.

Just sayin'.

If Seattle wins, lightning will have struck twice. It's too much to hope for the Bears defense won't show up.

And in the end, does it really matter who the Steelers beat at the Superbowl?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
January 15th, 2011 at 5:21:50 PM permalink
Holy shit. What a great football game.

1 down, Jerry!
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 15th, 2011 at 5:26:18 PM permalink
Cha-Ching! 1 down, 3 to go.

It was an amazing game, and I'm still trying to figure out if it could ever happen again like that. Glad to see Baltimore ousted.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 15th, 2011 at 5:26:58 PM permalink
I got a little bet riding on the playoffs.

My picks were the Steelers, Packers, Patriots and the Bears. I know pretty much nothing about American Football, so its all for fun.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2011 at 5:32:05 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

My picks were the Steelers, Packers, Patriots and the Bears. I know pretty much nothing about American Football, so its all for fun.

See here, you can either claim ignorance or pick the Steelers. You can't do both ;)
Croupier
Croupier
January 15th, 2011 at 5:44:43 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

See here, you can either claim ignorance or pick the Steelers. You can't do both ;)

I think you will find I can.
Baltimore scares me after watching The Wire, so thats an automatic strike against the Ravens, hence the Steelers pick.
I quite like the Falcons, but as the first Superbowl I ever watched was one featuring the Packers, they kind of became my team so I couldnt bet against them.
Everybody loves Bears, so the Chicago pick is an obvious one.
And the Patriots pick is due to me wanting to move to the US, so thought when the FBI checks my history, betting on the Patriots will guarantee me a Green Card. :P

See? Ignorance is bliss.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2011 at 6:34:13 PM permalink

I think you will find I can.

I still don't think you can. Stand by while I think of an appropriately funny reply :P
Croupier
Croupier
January 15th, 2011 at 6:45:44 PM permalink

I still don't think you can. Stand by while I think of an appropriately funny reply :P

I can wait. I am currently watching the Packers, and specifically Tramon Williams pick apart the Falcons with Interceptions.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 15th, 2011 at 7:37:07 PM permalink
I'm throwing in the towel with $500 in it on this one. What a bunch of pretenders the Falcons are.
Croupier
Croupier
January 15th, 2011 at 7:48:29 PM permalink
I think it could now officially be termed a blowout. Shame, I expected a closer game. Although the Packers fan in me is delighted.
Mosca
Mosca
January 15th, 2011 at 8:11:58 PM permalink

I'm throwing in the towel with $500 in it on this one. What a bunch of pretenders the Falcons are.

Man, what happened. They rolled over and stuck their paws in the air.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2011 at 8:47:10 PM permalink

I think it could now official be termed a blowout.

You're too kind. I'd say the Packers had the Falcons for dinner :P
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 16th, 2011 at 3:53:52 AM permalink

Man, what happened. They rolled over and stuck their paws in the air.

Falcons do not have paws. Nor teeth, as it turned out.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 16th, 2011 at 7:51:55 AM permalink
Croupier, you should bet on the team closest to the INS office that would be adjucidating your application. If the FBI is checking your prints, you're better off being a Redskins fan (tongue in cheek).

I don't like the Jets' chances today, but given what the Seahawks were able to pull off last week, anything could happen. Because my two favorite teams are the Seahawks (I lived in Vancouver and Seattle for 10+ years) and Jets (I don't know why I like the Jets -- it's because my Dad was such a Bills fan growing and I guess I wanted to be different), I'd have to pick both of them (with the points, of course). And my daughter loves the Steelers so I would have picked them. I didn't care enough about the Falcons/Packers game to had make a pick.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
January 16th, 2011 at 9:50:38 AM permalink

OK, if you're like me, you've had enough of reading about atheists and God and watching MKL make a complete fool out of himself as he tries so desperately to get others to think he's such an intelligent brute to the fresh men in his class....and to all of you too! I also tire of watching him trying to weasel out of a bet while trying to make it look like he isn't. Very, very boring. I mean, who cares if he passes some geek test or not? His students will laugh at him either way if they got wind of it. I'd rather find out why he's already failed in life because he has no wife or children. THAT'S the kind of info I'd find interesting.

So, let's dump the better-safe-than-sorry intellectual theories and what-ifs, and get right into the cold stark reality of real life for a change, shall we?

I've already posted the bets I made in another thread. I bet on all 4 home teams to win and I gave points in all contests @ -110 because the home teams also happen to be all the favorites this weekend. I have $500 on both of today's contests, $500 on the early game tomorrow, and $1500 on the NYJ/NE game.
KICKOFF IN LESS THAN 3.5 HOURS!

Least you could do is devote more of your post to your TOPIC than to MKL. Sure gets old.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 16th, 2011 at 10:52:07 AM permalink
Quote: dm

Least you could do is devote more of your post to your TOPIC than to MKL. Sure gets old.

If I can keep giving you a hard-on for me by making provocative posts, all the better. Stew over it some more while I enjoy the games.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 16th, 2011 at 2:29:55 PM permalink
Cha-Ching! Thank you, Bears. 2 out of 3 so far.
Mosca
Mosca
January 16th, 2011 at 4:17:48 PM permalink

Cha-Ching! Thank you, Bears. 2 out of 3 so far.

Looks like you might split... which one did you put extra on?
Croupier
Croupier
January 16th, 2011 at 4:21:26 PM permalink

If I remember rightly, Jerry's Big Bet was on the NYJ/NE game.

Im pretty pleased with my 3 out of 4, based on nothing more than random guesswork.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 16th, 2011 at 4:24:34 PM permalink

If the Jets win, he put "extra" on the Bears. If the Pats win, he put "extra" on the Pats.

And remember, Jerry is a disciple of the great Rob Singer. So even if he loses a ton of money by going 2-2 and losing his biggest bet, he will have broken even, by Singeresque reckoning, because he had two winning and two losing "football betting sessions".

I wonder if--no, strike that, how much--we're going to hear about Jerry's football betting prowess after the game is over. Oooooo, I'm jealous of someone who can pick 2 out of 4!!! (And lose $1100 in the process.)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 16th, 2011 at 4:30:47 PM permalink
This is why I normally flat bet. One false step on your big bet can ruin tour weekend. I didn't get the line I wanted on the pats so skipped it.

I have no idea why MKL is making shit up though. The Logan made his prediction on post one of this thread with the bet size...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
January 16th, 2011 at 4:56:28 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

This is why I normally flat bet. One false step on your big bet can ruin tour weekend. I didn't get the line I wanted on the pats so skipped it.

I have no idea why MKL is making shit up though. The Logan made his prediction on post one of this thread with the bet size...

MKL hasn't said anything but you can be 200% sure he was watching everything I've said in this thread. I went 2-2 this weekend. 50%, not good/not bad. But I lost around $1100. Hmmm....I must have completely missed a similar post by him when I split my bets but still won $7000 earlier in the season. Oh yeah, now I remember. He didn't like that one so he waited until afterwards to claim I made no bets. :)
Mosca
Mosca
January 16th, 2011 at 5:35:25 PM permalink

I went 2-2 this weekend. 50%, not good/not bad. But I lost around $1100.

Yeah, but those sports teams will bite your ass, you think it's all figured out and... boom. Not for me. Too much of being certain I have the edge, and then finding out I didn't, and that it wasn't even close.
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 16th, 2011 at 6:18:50 PM permalink
Well, it looks like the Patriots took Jerry out behind the woodshed today. He must be clutching his knees and sobbing at getting schooled in front of everyone for listening to his own assertion-filled rambles, and betting on a team that turned out to be a bunch of unhappy girly liberal atheists with cheerleaders that don't shave their legs!!!!!!!! I know he's in denial right now, but I wonder how dem apples are tasting!

(Sorry, everybody, but I couldn't resist; I also realize that lacking any basic spelling or grammatical errors, the above isn't a totally accurate JerryLogan imitation.)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 16th, 2011 at 8:26:58 PM permalink

I have to throw the penalty flag on this one. Personal insult -- one month suspension.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 16th, 2011 at 9:01:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I have to throw the penalty flag on this one. Personal insult -- one month suspension.

And now (drum roll, please), it's time for...THE RETURN OF "ROB SINGER"!!!!!

Other possibility: "someone" signs up for the forum under the name of "I'mNotJerry", or "GuitarJerry", or "Rod Hopper". Shouldn't take longer than, oh, 24 hours.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 16th, 2011 at 9:05:20 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

And now (drum roll, please), it's time for...THE RETURN OF "ROB SINGER"!!!!!

Other possibility: "someone" signs up for the forum under the name of "I'mNotJerry", or "GuitarJerry", or "Rod Hopper". Shouldn't take longer than, oh, 24 hours.

I'll keep an eye on suspicious accounts coming out of Arizona.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
January 16th, 2011 at 9:13:46 PM permalink
But but...if Jerry is suspended...how will he tell us he won like $7,000 on his upcoming training session?

Maybe Rob can update us hehe
Mosca
Mosca
January 17th, 2011 at 6:48:37 AM permalink

Yeah, crap. It looked like he was doing so well in the first couple days. Or was it, on the first day?
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 7:21:52 AM permalink
New rule idea:

Mkl and JerryLogan should be barreed from responding to each other's posts, and posting on each other's threads.

It's harsh, but probably the only thing that will keep the board from becoming the Jerry vs mkl soap opera. How many of us come here for cheap melodrama and verbal fights?
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
January 17th, 2011 at 9:16:59 AM permalink

If I can keep giving you a hard-on for me by making provocative posts, all the better. Stew over it some more while I enjoy the games.

Hey, Wiz, did he call me queer? If so, is that an insult or compliment?
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 17th, 2011 at 1:09:48 PM permalink

New rule idea:

Mkl and JerryLogan should be barreed from responding to each other's posts, and posting on each other's threads.

It's harsh, but probably the only thing that will keep the board from becoming the Jerry vs mkl soap opera. How many of us come here for cheap melodrama and verbal fights?

You're not above those verbal fights when it suits you, Nareed. Let he/she who is without sin recommend the casting of stones to the website administrator (Biblical proverb modernized for relevance).

Also, several other posters have mixed it up with JL, which given his combative nature, isn't surprising. Partly contributing to the problem is the less frequent posters here who respond to JL as if he was actually posting, as opposed to just trolling (and that's a major difference between JL and myself, whether or not you refuse to acknowledge that).

In any case, JL is once again in the penalty box, so the issue is moot for the time being.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 17th, 2011 at 2:01:05 PM permalink

I wasn't participating but who had the closest over/under on this one? Seemed like 3 days?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 2:14:47 PM permalink

You're not above those verbal fights when it suits you, Nareed.

Why, thank you for the implication I'm above cheap melodrama! You're a dear (who'd have thought it possible?)
CrappedOut
CrappedOut
  • Threads: 4
January 17th, 2011 at 4:01:56 PM permalink

New rule idea:

There is a great deal of wisdom in this suggestion. Jerry Logan is not the only poster whose proclivities have cheapened the gambling focus of this board. Frankly, I don't read it enough nowadays to sort through which guys are here for gaming talk and which ones are just trolling.
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 4:38:10 PM permalink
Quote: CrappedOut

There is a great deal of wisdom in this suggestion. Jerry Logan is not the only poster whose proclivities have cheapened the gambling focus of this board. Frankly, I don't read it enough nowadays to sort through which guys are here for gaming talk and which ones are just trolling.

<blush> just a little practical suggestion.

True, many users here like to wind up Jerry to get him going. But Jerry and mkl are like hypergolic rocket fuel: when they touch watch out and run away, fast as you can, or get caught up in the blast. At that, hypergolic fuels have no choice but to react; while Jerry and mkl, one presumes, are fully equipped with volition.

Aside from threads where they bait each other, I've noticed if one replies to the other's posts, it's usually in a manner either calculated or used to being irritating. They go at it for anything and everything, be it trivial or momentous. They'll do anything, too, to get the other. Jerry is worse in this respect because he goes after other users the same way, while mkl doesn't (not quite) But they're both capable of antyhing except subtlety or a kind word.

Ergo the practical suggestion: keep the spark away from the gunpowder.
Mosca
Mosca
January 17th, 2011 at 5:32:07 PM permalink

But Jerry and mkl are like hypergolic rocket fuel

Wow, nice reference; C-Stoff & T-Stoff!
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 6:00:49 PM permalink

Wow, nice reference; C-Stoff & T-Stoff!

Thanks. I've been reading progress reports from SpaceX, and one thing led naturally to the other...

None of which has anything remotely to do with the divisional playoffs. So:

Anyone else caught the first blush highlights of the Jets/Pats game on NFL Network? One of the announcers said of Holmes' TD catch "Holy Super Bowl 43, Batman!" Indeed, Santonio caught it at the very edge of the end zone, though not quite at the corner, and barely got one knee down (apparently one knee equals two feet). Also he was against one defender rather than three, but it was one of the most amazing receptions I've seen.

It will be interesting to see what he can manage to do against the team that discarded him (there's no other word for it; and face it, he was less troublesome than Roethlisberger). I'd like to think the Steelers know all he can do and how, the better to neutralize him, but who knows. BTW the Steelers keep bumping against former Steelers as they march towards championships. Last time they faced their former offensive coordinator at the Superbowl.
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 17th, 2011 at 7:03:39 PM permalink

They'll do anything, too, to get the other. Jerry is worse in this respect because he goes after other users the same way, while mkl doesn't (not quite) But they're both capable of antyhing except subtlety or a kind word.

What a shitty thing to say about me. I would be more offended, except that I'm well aware you're completely full of it. For that matter, I'm sure even JERRY is capable of "subtlety or a kind word". So I'll give you a chance to retract that statement. I expect some self-justification from you instead, because you tend to zealously defend even your most out-on-a-limb positions, but I do live in hope....

And surely you're not unaware of the fact that my responses to Jerry were calculated to get him to go off the deep end and get himself barred. Surely also, you're not unaware of the difference between how I respond and how Jerry responds to other posters (maybe...you ARE unaware???).

What's really going on here is that to "punish" me for frequently disagreeing with you, you're trying to conflate me and Jerry. It's not a supportable or logical premise.
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 7:10:24 PM permalink

So I'll give you a chance to retract that statement. I expect some self-justification from you instead, because you tend to zealously defend even your most out-on-a-limb positions, but I do live in hope....

I have nothing to say to you.
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 17th, 2011 at 7:23:55 PM permalink

I have nothing to say to you.

Disappointing, but alas, not surprising.
Mosca
Mosca
January 17th, 2011 at 7:29:23 PM permalink

What a shitty thing to say about me.

Oh, I don't know. I think you and Jerry Logan are both equally disdainful of everyone else here, in your own ways. I don't think you are capable of saying a kind word to anyone here on this forum. Which is kind of sad, seeing as how just about everyone here thought you were pretty OK at one time. I know I did. But you've said several times that you didn't really care whether or not anyone liked you here, and then you backed that up with what you wrote: witness the "should Jerry Logan be banned" poll, where the majority of voters wanted you both gone. You reap what you sow; it didn't just happen out of nowhere.
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2011 at 8:01:43 PM permalink

Oh, I don't know. I think you and Jerry Logan are both equally disdainful of everyone else here, in your own ways. I don't think you are capable of saying a kind word to anyone here on this forum. Which is kind of sad, seeing as how just about everyone here thought you were pretty OK at one time.

Exactly my meaning, thank you. It's good to see some people are familiar with satire.

As to kind words, I'm sure they're both capable of giving them, only not in an internet message board or, possibly, online at all. Some people are like that (oh, the meories of early Trekkie boards...)

Ooops! Gotta leave work now. more on this topic later.
  • Jump to: