FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
October 29th, 2022 at 6:56:38 AM permalink
First off, last night's Game 1 of the World Series was an exciting one. It should be a good series. I know it's just one game but the Phillies have upset team after team and might pull it off again. Which leads me to this thread...

Because of a bookmaker's miscalculation, one Colorado bettor is on the verge of winning $125,000. Back on April 13, 2022, and one week into the MLB season, this bettor placed a $50 futures wager with BetMGM on the Astros to beat the Phillies in the World Series at 2,500-1 odds. Apparently, it should've been 250-1 instead, if not shorter.

As many of you know, both teams are in the World Series now and the Astros are favored to win. This bettor is now in position to win $125,000 off a $50 bet if the Astros do what they're favored to do.

The bettor has to be sweating now, thinking, "Houston, I think we have a problem!" Instead, he's actually quoted (before Game 1) as saying, "It's been surreal living and dying with the Phillies from April all the way through 'Philtober.' Shoutout to the Astros for taking care of business, and to the Dodgers for choking as usual."

BetMGM said they sent the Colorado bettor to last night's Game 1 too so the bettor saw the Phillies win in person! The bettor probably woke up this morning thinking, "Did that really happen last night? Was that a nightmare? Phillies down 5-0 and they came back to tie then win it in the 10th?"

Phillies could pull off another upset and win the whole thing but we shall see. Looking forward to Game 2 tonight...
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 29th, 2022 at 8:40:00 AM permalink
My friend has a $1,000 bet the Phils win in five games or less. He says he made it with some internet company, and if he loses he gets 20 free $50 bets, or maybe 50 $20 bets. He said it was almost risk-free but had a tremendous upside.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FTB
FTB
October 29th, 2022 at 9:00:06 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

My friend has a $1,000 bet the Phils win in five games or less. He says he made it with some internet company, and if he loses he gets 20 free $50 bets, or maybe 50 $20 bets. He said it was almost risk-free but had a tremendous upside.
link to original post

If the Phillies pull off the upset, I don't see them winning in five or less. Against these Astros, I see Phillies needing six or seven to beat them.

If Game 2 is anything like Game 1, what a series we're all in for.
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 29th, 2022 at 9:26:08 AM permalink
I don't see them winning the Series, but I'd love it if they do. The Strohs just have it going on right now. By far the best organization in baseball.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FTB
FTB
October 29th, 2022 at 10:16:47 AM permalink
Neither is "my team" but I liked Texas when I visited numerous times and I enjoyed Philly as well.

If I had to root for only one team here, it's the underdog Phillies. But I'm good either way. I just want to enjoy a good series!
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 29th, 2022 at 10:35:59 AM permalink
Philly got to win to continue their recession predicting trend. :-)
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
FTB
FTB
October 29th, 2022 at 11:01:55 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Philly got to win to continue their recession predicting trend. :-)
link to original post

Yes, so I've heard!

There's also this: the two previous teams to sweep through Division Series and Conference championships have gone on to lose the World Series (2007 Rockies and 2014 Royals). Will the undefeated Astros be next?

That Colorado bettor can't be too sure that $125,000 won't slip away...
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
October 29th, 2022 at 11:54:52 AM permalink
I wonder if he hedged his bet?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
FTB
FTB
November 1st, 2022 at 4:01:40 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I wonder if he hedged his bet?
link to original post

The Colorado bettor was quoted saying before Game 1, "I'm not hedging."

Should be a good one tonight in Philly!
FTB
FTB
November 3rd, 2022 at 9:28:11 AM permalink
That Colorado bettor must have been nervous after Game 1 when Phillies stole home-field advantage and after Game 3 when Phillies went up 2-1 in series.

With the series tied 2-2 after last night's Astros win, I suppose the bettor woke up this morning with the comforting knowledge Astros didn't go down 3-1 instead.

Now it's a best of three series and Game 5 is tonight! I wouldn't count out these Phillies if they went down 3-2 in the series...
  • Jump to: