billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 215
May 13th, 2022 at 6:18:26 AM permalink
That is the problem with racing. It tries to build stars and then they don't race anymore. I understand the economics don't make sense to risk millions in stud fees but imagine if the NFL's MVP and its Rookie of the Year both retired as soon as they broke out with the public.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 198
May 13th, 2022 at 6:49:38 AM permalink

I strongly disagree with this owner's decision not to run Rich Strike in the Preakness - it's a terrible decision

this horse has a chance to win the Triple Crown, maybe not a big chance, but nonetheless a chance

winning the Triple Crown is something that captures of the interest of millions of fans - who otherwise don't give a sh____ about racing

and it would cement the Jockey's and Trainer's place in sports history along with the horse of course

this is a racehorse plenty strong enough to endure this - there is a risk of injury but not really more than in any other race -

ridiculous

Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 13, 2022
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
billryan
billryan 
May 13th, 2022 at 6:58:44 AM permalink
Is it to protect the horse or to protect his investment in the horse? I know nothing of the horse, but assume it isn't gelded, so it's future is at stud, not in racing. The industry needs to solve this problem if they are to ever recapture the public imagination.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 28
May 13th, 2022 at 12:57:47 PM permalink
If Rich Strike runs in the Preakness and finishes near the back of the pack it would decrease his value. Right now his value has increased tremendously, so why risk it. I think the owners know his chance of failure at the Preakness is likely.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 13th, 2022 at 1:22:08 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

If Rich Strike runs in the Preakness and finishes near the back of the pack it would decrease his value. Right now his value has increased tremendously, so why risk it. I think the owners know his chance of failure at the Preakness is likely.
link to original post

well, that's true what you're saying -

but if every owner looked at it that way there would never be a Triple Crown winner and the fans would suffer

the owner is probably filthy rich anyway - even if for some reason he couldn't get the $$$ he thought was fair for his horse

plus I think he's aiming at the Belmont stakes about 4 weeks away - so how much would he increase the chance of injury by running in the Preakness?

I don't know - I would guess not by a whole lot

and also, the Belmont is even more unpredictable than the Preakness because it's a distance most horses never race in their lives - 1.5 miles - a quarter mile longer than the Derby and even more than that longer than the Preakness

although this is a horse whose style is to come running late - so there is some logic to it

you would think an owner would want to consider something besides himself - to try to give something back to the sport and the fans

not to think to himself - I've got be sure that I'm worth $55 million and not just $ 49 million

billryan
billryan 
May 13th, 2022 at 1:34:54 PM permalink
Running the three races in five weeks is very challenging. There is a reason only a handful of horses have done it successfully.
I suspect the owners do this for bragging rights, not money., and certainly not for the fans.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 13th, 2022 at 1:38:27 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Running the three races in five weeks is very challenging. There is a reason only a handful of horses have done it successfully.
I suspect the owners do this for bragging rights, not money., and certainly not for the fans.
link to original post

it's good to remember - these are not ordinary races - these are maybe the greatest races in the whole world based on fan interest

this horse, being an 80/1 shot in the Derby would generate tremendous interest

if the powers that be in racing feel that this guy is selfish - which I'm guessing that they do - well -

paybacks are hell - and they have all kinds of ways to mess with the guy

I don't think it's ever happened before - that a horse who won the Derby and was in good physical condition skipped the Preakness -

not to my knowledge

astonishing

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
May 13th, 2022 at 1:57:12 PM permalink
I guess they can't force an owner to enter a horse in a specific race.... But now the interest in the Preakness will be as close to zero as it could be. I have mentioned this before..... The horse just ran TWO MINUTES! These horses don't sit on their fetlocks watching Oprah between races. They run around, sometimes officially, every day! The top human athletes who run shorter races that last around the same two minutes sometimes have to run two or three different heats in a few days time. I just don't get that a horse can't 'recover' from the two minute race in 14 days. Especially since over the last century a dozen or so have won the triple crown doing exactly that! What is actually going to happen to Rich Strike between day 14 and 35? Just ridiculous!

The Derby champ missing the Preakness is just pathetic.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 13th, 2022 at 2:12:44 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I guess they can't force an owner to enter a horse in a specific race.... But now the interest in the Preakness will be as close to zero as it could be. I have mentioned this before..... The horse just ran TWO MINUTES! These horses don't sit on their fetlocks watching Oprah between races. They run around, sometimes officially, every day! The top human athletes who run shorter races that last around the same two minutes sometimes have to run two or three different heats in a few days time. I just don't get that a horse can't 'recover' from the two minute race in 14 days. Especially since over the last century a dozen or so have won the triple crown doing exactly that! What is actually going to happen to Rich Strike between day 14 and 35? Just ridiculous!

The Derby champ missing the Preakness is just pathetic.
link to original post

not only that - the guy has stated that he is aiming for the Belmont Stakes - although it's not written in stone

if his horse doesn't win the Belmont, and there's a pretty fair chance of that - his prestige and the value of the horse will be less than if he had won the Preakness and lost the Belmont

the guy has given his horse and himself one less chance to have a greater legacy - what a moron

billryan
billryan 
May 13th, 2022 at 2:55:45 PM permalink
In the 1980s, if I remember correctly, there was a horse that won the Derby but then choose to run in a race in New Jersey. There was a big bonus that was involved. As a result, they came up with a Triple Crown bonus that was supposed to prevent this from happening.
The Preakness is much more of a sprint than the other two races and I'd think a closer would do better in the Belmont.
I assume the trainer doesn't think he has the horse to win all three and is going with the race he has the best shot at and with extra rest.

• Jump to: