Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 8:16:36 AM permalink
One season, Notre Dame beat Florida State. Both teams ended up with one loss but Florida St won the National Title. That was thirty-plus years ago but it still bothers me.
Some teams have to win the National championships. A team like Alabama has to lose one. By that, I mean a team like Bama is expected to be in the playoff and they have to play themselves out, while the Bear Cats have to play themselves in. I'd put Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson in the grouping with Bama. They can lose one game and still be in contention. Most other teams need to be undefeated.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
November 21st, 2021 at 8:19:48 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

One season, Notre Dame beat Florida State. Both teams ended up with one loss but Florida St won the National Title. That was thirty-plus years ago but it still bothers me.
Some teams have to win the National championships. A team like Alabama has to lose one. By that, I mean a team like Bama is expected to be in the playoff and they have to play themselves out, while the Bear Cats have to play themselves in. I'd put Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson in the grouping with Bama. They can lose one game and still be in contention. Most other teams need to be undefeated.
link to original post

That's an excellent summary of basically why I don't pay attention to college football, for the most part. I usually only watch games if I happen to be somewhere where it's already on.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
moses
moses
  • Threads: 9
November 21st, 2021 at 8:39:20 AM permalink
....and Notre Dame may make the Top 4 this year.

College football Hilarious.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 71
November 21st, 2021 at 1:01:32 PM permalink
I've been following Oregon all season and they haven't looked like a Top 5 team since they beat Ohio St. That loss to Stanford was a debacle.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 2:45:32 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Quote: SOOPOO

Of course your post doesn’t pass the sniff test. Easiest example is 3 teams all with one loss. If they are 1, 2, and 3, and each has beaten one of the 3, and lost to one of the 3, it is impossible to not be above a team you lost to, as well as being below a team you beat. If Michigan’s one loss is to Michigan State, and they played a much harder schedule than MSU, and MSU’s one loss is to a weak team, and they played an easier schedule, no way MSU should be ranked ahead of Michigan just because they beat them. It makes as much sense as the analyst who says ‘wow, the momentum is now with team X. And it has changed 12 times this game’!

Edit…. My first example is using 3 teams which doesn’t really address your post. My second example is EXACTLY why two one loss teams are not ranked the way you suggest. USUALLY it works out the way you want, but Michigan/MSU is the perfect example why it doesn’t always.
link to original post

Only in the world of College Football Rankings would Sparty NOT be above Michigan State in this instance.

For starters, they play in the same Conference and Division...so even though Sparty lost to Perdue (another Conference team, week after they beat Michigan)...they've got Division/Conference tiebreaker on Michigan by virtue of head to head. Only in the subjective rankings that we know are already gimmicked for legacy teams does Sparty not outrank Michigan in that instance.

According to this:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

Michigan's Strength of Schedule was only 19 ranks higher, so I don't think even that is enough to offset actually losing to the team that is still ranked below you.

And, we're not talking about three teams who all have one win against each other. We're talking about two teams where one beat the other and, even prior to losing, was ranked below the team that they beat.

By the way:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/8/year/2021/seasontype/2

If you look at Week 8, they had Michigan outranking Sparty when the latter was still unbeaten and Michigan's loss was to Sparty.
link to original post

I think Michigan would be a small favorite over MSU if they played on a neutral site. Was a fluky ending to the game that gave MSU the win.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 2:59:02 PM permalink
Go Sparty! Crush the Empire!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 3:44:13 PM permalink

[
Only in the world of College Football Rankings would Sparty NOT be above Michigan State in this instance.

I am pretty sure Sparty will never be ranked above Michigan State.. LOL
Order from chaos
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 6:58:46 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

[

link to original post

I am not sure that Mission knows that Sparty is Michigan State? Michigan State was exposed as the not title worthy team they are yesterday. The people ranking MSU and Michigan knew what they were doing. (Until OSU thumps Michigan next weekend...)
pwcrabb
pwcrabb
  • Threads: 3
November 21st, 2021 at 7:41:49 PM permalink
All very entertaining, but the SEC title game will tell us much. My play probably will be to lay favored Georgia because Bama will attract too much loyalty money and sympathy money.
"I suppose I was mad. Every great genius is mad upon the subject in which he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called a lunatic." Fitz-James O'Brien, The Diamond Lens (1858)
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 9:24:39 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: DRich

[

link to original post

I am not sure that Mission knows that Sparty is Michigan State? Michigan State was exposed as the not title worthy team they are yesterday. The people ranking MSU and Michigan knew what they were doing. (Until OSU thumps Michigan next weekend...)
link to original post

Go Sparty!!! Down with the Empire!

They should have at least been the higher ranked when they were still undefeated. It’s not like you don’t rerank the teams every week.

• Jump to: