Thread Rating:

Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
November 21st, 2021 at 4:18:58 AM permalink
The #23 Utes punished #3 Oregon last night. Oregon was a +140 (Caesars) all week on the money line? Obviously Vegas had it right.

How was the rankings so far off from reality? Thank you.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
November 21st, 2021 at 6:15:10 AM permalink
When you see a line that looks way wrong, go with the bookies instead of against them . Books knew most of the money would go on the #3 team. It was made this way for a reason.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 21st, 2021 at 6:21:18 AM permalink
The Utes had three losses going into the game. I'm not sure how you could rank them higher. It's obvious they are better than their 7-3 record before the game but you can't overlook three losses.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 21st, 2021 at 6:54:05 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

The #23 Utes punished #3 Oregon last night. Oregon was a +140 (Caesars) all week on the money line? Obviously Vegas had it right.

link to original post

No one believes the rankings are a true ‘power ranking’. Cincinnati would be a road underdog to probably a dozen teams ranked below it. Ohio State is ranked 5th in the AP and Cincinnati is ranked 3rd. Cincy at OSU is probably 22 point underdog. The AP voters (rightly or wrongly) count a win against the cupcakes Cincy plays more than a loss against Georgia. You think if Alabama loses to Georgia they are still not a better team than Cincinnati? Even with two losses this season?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 21st, 2021 at 7:05:29 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

No one believes the rankings are a true ‘power ranking’. Cincinnati would be a road underdog to probably a dozen teams ranked below it. Ohio State is ranked 5th in the AP and Cincinnati is ranked 3rd. Cincy at OSU is probably 22 point underdog. The AP voters (rightly or wrongly) count a win against the cupcakes Cincy plays more than a loss against Georgia. You think if Alabama loses to Georgia they are still not a better team than Cincinnati? Even with two losses this season?
link to original post

Yeah, but to an extent, records should be given more than zero consideration.

For instance, one of the polls had Michigan above Michigan State going into this week, despite the fact that both teams had one loss and Michigan’s loss was to…you guessed it…Michigan State.

Of course, Sparty got walloped by Ohio State this week and Michigan has not played Ohio State yet, but without knowing that was going to happen…if you have two one loss teams and one beat the other, then it seems to me the victorious team should be the higher ranked*.

*I’m not saying always, necessarily, but mainly if the rankings are anywhere close in the first place. Michigan and Michigan State were either just above or below each other, depending on the poll.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 21st, 2021 at 7:15:02 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

link to original post

link to original post

Yeah, but to an extent, records should be given more than zero consideration.

For instance, one of the polls had Michigan above Michigan State going into this week, despite the fact that both teams had one loss and Michigan’s loss was to…you guessed it…Michigan State.

Of course, Sparty got walloped by Ohio State this week and Michigan has not played Ohio State yet, but without knowing that was going to happen…if you have two one loss teams and one beat the other, then it seems to me the victorious team should be the higher ranked*.

*I’m not saying always, necessarily, but mainly if the rankings are anywhere close in the first place. Michigan and Michigan State were either just above or below each other, depending on the poll.
link to original post

Of course your post doesn’t pass the sniff test. Easiest example is 3 teams all with one loss. If they are 1, 2, and 3, and each has beaten one of the 3, and lost to one of the 3, it is impossible to not be above a team you lost to, as well as being below a team you beat. If Michigan’s one loss is to Michigan State, and they played a much harder schedule than MSU, and MSU’s one loss is to a weak team, and they played an easier schedule, no way MSU should be ranked ahead of Michigan just because they beat them. It makes as much sense as the analyst who says ‘wow, the momentum is now with team X. And it has changed 12 times this game’!

Edit…. My first example is using 3 teams which doesn’t really address your post. My second example is EXACTLY why two one loss teams are not ranked the way you suggest. USUALLY it works out the way you want, but Michigan/MSU is the perfect example why it doesn’t always.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 21st, 2021 at 7:19:47 AM permalink
Oregon was pretty much ranked highly almost solely on the basis of beating Ohio St. early in the season, mostly been winning unconvincingly in a weak Pac-12.

Alabama isn’t really Alabama this year no way they should get in with two losses if they lose to Georgia. That secondary just plain sucks while it’s usually loaded with nfl talent. SEC actually looks flat out weak outside of Georgia compared to how they usually are.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 21st, 2021 at 7:21:37 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I do not think Alabama is better than Cincy this year, no. Bama is WEAK this year, for Bama, IMO.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 21st, 2021 at 7:32:10 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

I do not think Alabama is better than Cincy this year, no. Bama is WEAK this year, for Bama, IMO.
link to original post

I guess I used a bad example this year in Alabama. After typing first sentence, I check what is called Sagarin football ratings. Neutral field he has Alabama around 10 point favorite over Cincinnati. So I stand by my statement.

I KNOW Alabama is a better team than Cincinnati. Can we make a provisional bet that if they play we have a bet on who wins at even money? I mean, you said you think Cincy is better than Bama this year, right? Pick any reasonable amount of money and let’s do it! If Bama beats Georgia it’s not impossible Bama is 1 seed and Cincy 4 seed.

I wil AGREE with you that Bama is weaker this year than usual. That’s why they are ONLY 10 points better than Cincy.
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 7:50:20 AM permalink

Of course your post doesn’t pass the sniff test. Easiest example is 3 teams all with one loss. If they are 1, 2, and 3, and each has beaten one of the 3, and lost to one of the 3, it is impossible to not be above a team you lost to, as well as being below a team you beat. If Michigan’s one loss is to Michigan State, and they played a much harder schedule than MSU, and MSU’s one loss is to a weak team, and they played an easier schedule, no way MSU should be ranked ahead of Michigan just because they beat them. It makes as much sense as the analyst who says ‘wow, the momentum is now with team X. And it has changed 12 times this game’!

Edit…. My first example is using 3 teams which doesn’t really address your post. My second example is EXACTLY why two one loss teams are not ranked the way you suggest. USUALLY it works out the way you want, but Michigan/MSU is the perfect example why it doesn’t always.
link to original post

Only in the world of College Football Rankings would Sparty NOT be above Michigan State in this instance.

For starters, they play in the same Conference and Division...so even though Sparty lost to Perdue (another Conference team, week after they beat Michigan)...they've got Division/Conference tiebreaker on Michigan by virtue of head to head. Only in the subjective rankings that we know are already gimmicked for legacy teams does Sparty not outrank Michigan in that instance.

According to this:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

Michigan's Strength of Schedule was only 19 ranks higher, so I don't think even that is enough to offset actually losing to the team that is still ranked below you.

And, we're not talking about three teams who all have one win against each other. We're talking about two teams where one beat the other and, even prior to losing, was ranked below the team that they beat.

By the way:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/8/year/2021/seasontype/2

If you look at Week 8, they had Michigan outranking Sparty when the latter was still unbeaten and Michigan's loss was to Sparty.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 8:16:36 AM permalink
One season, Notre Dame beat Florida State. Both teams ended up with one loss but Florida St won the National Title. That was thirty-plus years ago but it still bothers me.
Some teams have to win the National championships. A team like Alabama has to lose one. By that, I mean a team like Bama is expected to be in the playoff and they have to play themselves out, while the Bear Cats have to play themselves in. I'd put Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson in the grouping with Bama. They can lose one game and still be in contention. Most other teams need to be undefeated.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 8:19:48 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

One season, Notre Dame beat Florida State. Both teams ended up with one loss but Florida St won the National Title. That was thirty-plus years ago but it still bothers me.
Some teams have to win the National championships. A team like Alabama has to lose one. By that, I mean a team like Bama is expected to be in the playoff and they have to play themselves out, while the Bear Cats have to play themselves in. I'd put Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson in the grouping with Bama. They can lose one game and still be in contention. Most other teams need to be undefeated.
link to original post

That's an excellent summary of basically why I don't pay attention to college football, for the most part. I usually only watch games if I happen to be somewhere where it's already on.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
November 21st, 2021 at 8:39:20 AM permalink
....and Notre Dame may make the Top 4 this year.

College football Hilarious.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
November 21st, 2021 at 1:01:32 PM permalink
I've been following Oregon all season and they haven't looked like a Top 5 team since they beat Ohio St. That loss to Stanford was a debacle.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 2:45:32 PM permalink

link to original post

Only in the world of College Football Rankings would Sparty NOT be above Michigan State in this instance.

For starters, they play in the same Conference and Division...so even though Sparty lost to Perdue (another Conference team, week after they beat Michigan)...they've got Division/Conference tiebreaker on Michigan by virtue of head to head. Only in the subjective rankings that we know are already gimmicked for legacy teams does Sparty not outrank Michigan in that instance.

According to this:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

Michigan's Strength of Schedule was only 19 ranks higher, so I don't think even that is enough to offset actually losing to the team that is still ranked below you.

And, we're not talking about three teams who all have one win against each other. We're talking about two teams where one beat the other and, even prior to losing, was ranked below the team that they beat.

By the way:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/8/year/2021/seasontype/2

If you look at Week 8, they had Michigan outranking Sparty when the latter was still unbeaten and Michigan's loss was to Sparty.
link to original post

I think Michigan would be a small favorite over MSU if they played on a neutral site. Was a fluky ending to the game that gave MSU the win.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 2:59:02 PM permalink
Go Sparty! Crush the Empire!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 3:44:13 PM permalink

[

I am pretty sure Sparty will never be ranked above Michigan State.. LOL
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 6:58:46 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

[

link to original post

I am not sure that Mission knows that Sparty is Michigan State? Michigan State was exposed as the not title worthy team they are yesterday. The people ranking MSU and Michigan knew what they were doing. (Until OSU thumps Michigan next weekend...)
pwcrabb
pwcrabb
  • Threads: 4
November 21st, 2021 at 7:41:49 PM permalink
All very entertaining, but the SEC title game will tell us much. My play probably will be to lay favored Georgia because Bama will attract too much loyalty money and sympathy money.
"I suppose I was mad. Every great genius is mad upon the subject in which he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called a lunatic." Fitz-James O'Brien, The Diamond Lens (1858)
Mission146
Mission146
November 21st, 2021 at 9:24:39 PM permalink

Quote: DRich

[

link to original post

I am not sure that Mission knows that Sparty is Michigan State? Michigan State was exposed as the not title worthy team they are yesterday. The people ranking MSU and Michigan knew what they were doing. (Until OSU thumps Michigan next weekend...)
link to original post

Go Sparty!!! Down with the Empire!

They should have at least been the higher ranked when they were still undefeated. It’s not like you don’t rerank the teams every week.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:25:10 AM permalink
By the way, UTSA is undefeated and not getting much love. They beat Big Ten team Illinois, who beat Penn State, Minnesota and Nebraska. UTSA has also beaten a good Memphis team. They are ranked below a bunch of two loss teams.
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:59:59 AM permalink
Those are the teams that are tough, look at UTSA:

Illinois (4-7)
Lamar (3-8) Also, who?
Middle Tennessee (5-6)
Memphis (5-6)
UNLV (2-9)
Western Kentucky (7-4)***
Rice (3-8)
Louisiana Tech (3-8)
UTEP (7-4)
Southern Miss. (2-9)
UAB (7-4)

With that, you have them beating three teams with winning records and otherwise winning some games against absolute garbage. I'm honestly a little surprised that they're ranked as highly as they are because, honestly, what do you even do with this? This isn't like Sparty who's in the Big Ten---it's a nobody team in a second-tier Conference that plays other nobody teams. Western Kentucky, for example, only has a winning record because it has its conference mates to mostly kick around.

I don't know what you even do with a team like this, but I think we'd all agree that there's no way to make college football rankings, "Fair," I just felt like Sparty (when unbeaten) not being ranked higher than Michigan was a screwjob even under NCAAF's usual modus operandi.

***#1 Conference USA East
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:11:30 AM permalink
Agree with Mission above. Georgia is obviously number one team. If Alabama loses 38-37, to the obvious number one team, should they drop in the rankings below Cincinnati who has a schedule (mostly) loaded with cupcakes?
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:36:11 AM permalink
Cincinnati at least has the Notre Dame win.

Also, Alabama wouldn't be losing to Georgia in isolation; they also lost to Texas A&M. If we were talking about Alabama just losing to Georgia and being a one loss team, then no, they shouldn't drop below Cincinnati...but with two losses?

Don't worry, the Playoff Committee will still probably find a way to get a two-loss Alabama in there over any one loss team. I figure they'll just get both Alabama and Cincy (assuming they stay unbeaten) in there if that happens. Kind of surprised that they are even ranking Cincy above Notre Dame since having no losses and beating another specific team apparently doesn't automatically mean you should be ranked above them.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 261
Thanked by
mcallister3200Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:42:52 AM permalink
I would like to Cincy in the playoffs IF they go undefeated. Spice things up a bit, eh ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:52:48 AM permalink
Based on what they’ve done in past seasons, they will very likely move Notre Dame above an undefeated Cincy team that beat them to put them in the playoffs if Notre Dame ends up with one loss and Cincy is undefeated. Strength of schedule beats the transitive property to them. Bama WILL be in the playoffs regardless what happens in the SEC championship IMO. They should just give Bama a bye to the playoffs because they’d find an excuse to put them in if they have a season with three losses. Two loss Bama will absolutely be in above a Big 12 champion with one loss.

Missed your bet question above Soopoo about a unlikely hypothetical Bama Cincy game. I never have made a forum bet and not going to start now.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 22, 2021
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:26:48 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Based on what they’ve done in past seasons, they will very likely move Notre Dame above an undefeated Cincy team that beat them to put them in the playoffs if Notre Dame ends up with one loss and Cincy is undefeated. Bama WILL be in the playoffs regardless what happens in the SEC championship IMO. They should just give Bama a bye to the playoffs because they’d find an excuse to put them in if they have a season with three losses. Two loss Bama will absolutely be in above a Big 12 champion with one loss.

Missed your bet question above Soopoo about a unlikely hypothetical Bama Cincy game. I never have made a forum bet and not going to start now.
link to original post

Unwatchable. This thread is the most attention I've paid to College Football in at least a decade.
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
Thanked by
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:54:21 AM permalink
Just saw the new a college football poll. Despite getting spanked by Utah, Oregon only dropped to 11. While Utah is down at 16!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:20:23 AM permalink
Internet SEZ:

The fourth College Football Playoff rankings for the 2021 season will be revealed around 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 23 on ESPN
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
moses
moses
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:43:11 AM permalink
Few would argue the 4 best teams in college football are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St. And Michigan. They play each other the next two weeks.

Cincinnati must win out which includes a showdown with Houston in the Conference championship game.

Notre Dame beats Stanford and waits for Cincy to lose.

Oklahoma State must beat Oklahoma and then Baylor in the Conference championship game.

It's going to be an interesting two weeks.
billryan
billryan
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:44:16 AM permalink
Wouldn't it make sense to wait until after the Conference Championship games, even though not every team has such a game.

If Bama loses a close game to Georgia, they still will be one of the best teams in the country. If Georgia loses in a blowout, do we say the same thing about them?
moses
moses
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:50:11 AM permalink
Lots of what ifs. Michigan wins a nail biter against Ohio St. Then gets blown out in the CCG.

Auburn upsets Alabama. Alabama beats Georgia.

If Alabama and Georgia end up as #1
And #4 seeds. They would be playing each other in back to back games.
moses
moses
Thanked by
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:30:06 AM permalink
So going with Billryan butts in the seats and Mission 146 geographical location criteria.

8 divisions 8 teams each. That's 64 teams. Must average 30k fan per game. If they fall into the 30k to 35k range. Don't complain. Get more fans.

Play each team in your division once. 7 games. 4 games from another division within the 64 teams.

Division winners get a first round home game either Tgive weekend or first weekend of December. The other 8 comes from best records.

The final four is a couple of days before Christmas and the Champ game is Jan 1.
billryan
billryan
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:40:02 AM permalink
You are ignoring the fact that college football exists so its boosters have a warm place to spend New Years.
moses
moses
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:49:48 AM permalink
No. The 7 games for the final 8 teams would at the major bowl games. Orange, Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta,

Now, if there are more college bowls necessary? I defer to the billryan butts in seats arguments. ESPN will survive.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:56:26 PM permalink
I definitely feel that Bama is not as good as they have been in past years. And Georgia definitely deserves the #1 ranking ... but their win over Clemson doesn't look as impressive as it once did, and they really haven't faced any other elite teams. Auburn? meh. Tennessee? Arkansas? Florida got their coach fired, they're so bad. Vanderbilt? Missouri? South Carolina? Kentucky?

And, Georgia's QB is Stetson Bennett - a very smart, accurate passer who runs a lot. But he's not very athletic, and his arm strength is below average. He's NOT an NFL prospect.

And QBs like Bennett tend to get exposed when they play a very good team that has lots of speed, good coaching and defensive linemen who might be able to sack him repeatedly. So, I think Bama has a fairly good chance of beating Georgia in the SEC championship game.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 24th, 2021 at 7:02:56 AM permalink
CINCY !

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/college-football-playoff

1 Georgia 11-0
2 Ohio State 10-1
3 Alabama 10-1
4 Cincinnati 11-0

5 Michigan 10-1 ( and 8.5 point underdogs to Ohio State, so soon to be a 2 loss team ? )
6 Notre Dame 10-1 ( Cincy beat them earlier this year )
7 Okl State 10-1
8 Baylor 9-2
billryan
billryan
November 24th, 2021 at 7:12:59 AM permalink
When the Tide beats Georgia, do the Bulldogs drop below Notre Dame?
It seems that every year, we can almost pencil in Bama, Ohio St, and Notre Dame in the final three and the entire season comes down to who gets to claim the coveted fourth spot.
moses
moses
November 24th, 2021 at 7:34:56 AM permalink

It seems that every year, we can almost pencil in Bama, Ohio St, and Notre Dame in the final three and the entire season comes down to who gets to claim the coveted fourth spot.
link to original post

Georgia will have lost to a higher ranked ream with far stronger schedule strength. SEC Champ game could be #1 vs #2 if Michigan beats Ohio St.

The question is. Does Alabama still get in with two losses if they lose to Georgia?
unJon
unJon
November 24th, 2021 at 8:40:40 AM permalink
Quote: moses

link to original post

Georgia will have lost to a higher ranked ream with far stronger schedule strength. SEC Champ game could be #1 vs #2 if Michigan beats Ohio St.

The question is. Does Alabama still get in with two losses if they lose to Georgia?
link to original post

I’d love to see Alabama lose and not make it.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
November 24th, 2021 at 9:06:30 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

How would you feel if Bama loses and still claims the #4 spot.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 24th, 2021 at 9:44:41 AM permalink
Can we all at least AGREE on NO to NOtre Dame ?
billryan
billryan
November 24th, 2021 at 9:55:06 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

link to original post

No, we can not.
moses
moses
November 24th, 2021 at 9:56:36 AM permalink

link to original post

only if Cincy beats Houston. Even then, maybe not.
moses
moses
November 24th, 2021 at 10:01:12 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

folks in South Bend, Norman or Stillwater Oklahoma, and Cincy would not be happy if their schools win out.

Ohio St vs Michigan is first elimination game in the crazy tournament 😳
unJon
unJon
November 24th, 2021 at 10:36:30 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Pissed
billryan
billryan
November 24th, 2021 at 10:43:37 AM permalink

CINCY !

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/college-football-playoff

1 Georgia 11-0
2 Ohio State 10-1
3 Alabama 10-1
4 Cincinnati 11-0

5 Michigan 10-1 ( and 8.5 point underdogs to Ohio State, so soon to be a 2 loss team ? )
6 Notre Dame 10-1 ( Cincy beat them earlier this year )
7 Okl State 10-1
8 Baylor 9-2
link to original post

Either Ohio St or Michigan will lose, so the loser is gone. That makes ND the odd man out if everyone else wins out. I think there is a decent chance that both Georgia and Ohio St. lose and fall out of the playoffs.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
November 24th, 2021 at 11:04:15 AM permalink
But if Georgia only loses once, they have a pretty good record.

On the other hand, what are they doing playing CHARLESTON SOUTHERN so late in the season ?

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
moses
November 24th, 2021 at 11:11:50 AM permalink
I think Georgia is in no matter what and probably no lower than 3, only possible exception MAYBE if they get blown out. only loss would be in a postseason game against the new #1 seed in best conference. Don’t see ND or a Big 12 team getting in over that.
billryan
billryan
November 24th, 2021 at 11:29:50 AM permalink
I think the bulldogs need to be blown out to drop out, but I also believe there is a significant portion of the voters who would like to see the Irish in the playoffs.
  • Jump to: