smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
September 10th, 2021 at 9:14:14 PM permalink
I still use the Yahoo Sports app, and they give "Live Odds" through I assume BetMGM because their logo is in the corner.

Currently the Oakland A's are beating the Texas Rangers 10-4 in the 6th inning, and they give these odds:

A's money line -10000
Run spread: A's -6 (-110); Rangers +6 (-110)
O/U: O15.5 +135; U15.5 -120

Can you actually make bets on these lines?

I assume so, because why would they go through the rigamarole of posting these algorithms?
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 10th, 2021 at 9:33:10 PM permalink
Yes you can.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 11th, 2021 at 4:00:21 AM permalink
you have to figure posting -10,000 is the same as saying "no bets" !

the other end though won't be so enticing, maybe +600 with BetMGM? I'm familiar with these folks, and typically I can find better odds posted.* But they might go up to something better very briefly, maybe +1000, possibly in the realm of true odds. I do wish I knew what the chances are when a team gets that far behind. Even if only a run or two behind even in the first inning, perhaps originally favored, the oddsmakers will really react. I feel as though I have caught them over-reacting, it's always very brief which sort of confirms that it was over-reaction. Live betting is interesting.

* I won't totally rag on BetMGM, though, I just blogged about that
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
September 11th, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM permalink
Thanks for confirming!

By the time I started typing, whatever money line the Rangers had was taken off the board and I forgot it. But +600 sounds about right. I'm sure similar odds will come up on whatever game is in middle innings on any given day.

I find these odds kind of interesting. A team CAN come back, but how often do they?

Also, I find the O/U in blowouts interesting, because there's potential for a big lead in middle innings to lead to even more runs. I would cite position players pitching, but then, we've seen that situation not necessarily lead to more runs.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
smoothgrh
September 11th, 2021 at 10:26:13 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I find these odds kind of interesting. A team CAN come back, but how often do they?

• link to original post

This reminds me of a somewhat famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) incident from cricket. In the summer of 1981, after the third day of a five-day match between Australia and England, England had just started its second innings at bat and were about 220 runs behind; between that and the rain problems the match had been having, the scoreboard showed that England were now +50,000 (yes, 500-1) to win the match (keep in mind that, in order to win, England not only had to take the lead, but had to get 10 of the 11 Australians out before they got the lead back, and had to do it before the end of day 5). Amazingly enough, two of the Australian players put down token bets (no more than £10) on England, which went on to win.
    • Jump to: