8 votes (28.57%)
6 votes (21.42%)

28 members have voted

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 123
August 24th, 2019 at 5:55:37 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

You are comparing 1990 dollars to 2017 dollars.
If you were making $100,000 in 1990 and made $120,000 in 2017, would you think you were on a.good projectile?
Not to mention the growth in the U.S. population.
I don't know all that much about racing, but what I do know is in the NY area, track attendance is down for 25 years ago and way down from the 1960s. Roosevelt used to routinely draw 25,000 on weekends. It's long closed. Yonkers and Aqueduct survive only because of the racino and Belmont is considering selling off two thirds of its parking lots and part of its backstretch.
NYC OTB is out of business and NY State OTBs claim they need Video lotteries to survive.
None of that gives me an impression of an industry that is thriving.

I grew up on the west side of Los Angeles. I was hanging out at the track long before I turned of age. I spent the first half of my life at places like Hollywood Park. There was no card room. There was no off-track betting. People went to the track to watch horse racing. There were huge crowds. Big races were on the Front Page headlines, not just the Sports section. Never in my wildest imagination could I picture a day when there would not be huge crowds at Hollywood Park. Now where is it? Only in my memories, that's where.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 168
Thanks for this post from:
bobbartop
August 24th, 2019 at 6:01:58 PM permalink
One of the two all news am radio stations in NY used to broadcast the races live. They actually worked the news around the racing. Every thirty minutes or so they would jump to the race call. Now it takes a tragedy to get any coverage outside of the Triple Crown or Breeders Cup.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 206
August 24th, 2019 at 6:03:50 PM permalink
Obviously the racinos have played a hand in the decline, I would have to take such a thing into consideration. Most of the time it's quite confusing finding the tracks at racinos and other times almost mysterious. I think I'd like an obligation kept in some form. In reality, none of that matters, politicians are short-sighted, so the companies will be spoiled.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
bobbartop
bobbartop
August 24th, 2019 at 6:32:26 PM permalink

One of the two all news am radio stations in NY used to broadcast the races live. They actually worked the news around the racing. Every thirty minutes or so they would jump to the race call. Now it takes a tragedy to get any coverage outside of the Triple Crown or Breeders Cup.

Bill, I've never been to New York in my life. But I know, I KNOW, that there were none more dedicated to horse racing than the fans in New York. Ever.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 17
Forager
August 24th, 2019 at 6:38:29 PM permalink
36 tracks have closed since 2000. Just 2 new ones have opened and one of them closed 2 years later.

Suffolk Downs, Massachusetts, closed 2019 after 84 years of abusing horses
Portland Meadows, Oregon, closed 2019 after 73 years of abusing horses
Hazel Park, Michigan, closed 2018 after 69 years of abusing horses
Les Bois Park, Idaho, closed 2016 after 46 years of abusing horses
Atlantic City Race Course, New Jersey, closed 2015 after 69 years of abusing horses
Balmoral Park, Illinois, closed 2015 after 89 years of abusing horses
Maywood Park, Illinois, closed 2015 after 69 years of abusing horses
Sports Creek Raceway, Michigan, closed 2015 after 28 years of abusing horses
Hollywood Park, California, closed 2013 after 75 years of abusing horses
Mount Pleasant Meadows, Michigan, closed 2013 after 28 years of abusing horses
Eureka Downs, Kansas, closed 2011 after 108 years of abusing horses
Atokad Downs, Nebraska, closed 2011 after 55 years of abusing horses
Northwest Montana Fair, closed 2011 after unknown number of years abusing horses
Yellowstone Downs, Montana, closed 2011 after 65 years of abusing horses
Blue Ribbon Downs, Oklahoma, closed 2010 after 47 years of abusing horses
Dayton Days, Washington, closed 2010 after 122 years of abusing horses
Manor Downs, Texas, closed 2010 after 20 years of abusing horses
Pinnacle Race Course, Michigan, closed 2010 after 2 years of abusing horses
Waitsburg, Washington, closed 2010 after 99 years of abusing horses
Walla Walla Fair, Washington, closed 2010 after 144 years of abusing horses
Western Montana Fair, closed 2010 after 96 years of abusing horses
Anthony Downs, Kansas, closed 2009 after 105 years of abusing horses
Rockingham Park, New Hampshire, closed 2009 after 103 years of abusing horses
Solano Fair, California, closed 2009 after 58 years of abusing horses
Bay Meadows, California, closed 2008 after 74 years of abusing horses
Jackson Harness Raceway, Michigan, closed 2008 after 60 years of abusing horses
Great Lakes Downs, Michigan, closed 2007 after 18 years of abusing horses
Rochester Fair, New Hampshire, closed 2007 after 73 years of abusing horses
Woodlands Racecourse, Kansas, closed 2007 after 17 years of abusing horses
Northampton Fair, Massachusetts, closed 2005 after 62 years of abusing horses
Saginaw Valley Downs, Michigan, closed 2005 after 25 years of abusing horses
Sportsmanís Park, Illinois, closed 2002 after 70 years of abusing horses
Brockton Fair, Massachusetts, closed 2001 after 60 years of abusing horses
Garden State Park Racetrack, New Jersey, closed 2001 after 59 years of abusing horses
Playfair Race Course, Washington, closed 2001 after 100 years of abusing horses
Lone Oak Park, Oregon, closed 2000 after 67 years of abusing horses
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
bobbartop
bobbartop
SOOPOOJohnzimbo
August 24th, 2019 at 6:53:25 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

36 tracks have closed since 2000. Just 2 new ones have opened and one of them closed 2 years later.

Suffolk Downs, Massachusetts, closed 2019 after 84 years of abusing horses
Portland Meadows, Oregon, closed 2019 after 73 years of abusing horses
Hazel Park, Michigan, closed 2018 after 69 years of abusing horses
Les Bois Park, Idaho, closed 2016 after 46 years of abusing horses
Atlantic City Race Course, New Jersey, closed 2015 after 69 years of abusing horses
Balmoral Park, Illinois, closed 2015 after 89 years of abusing horses
Maywood Park, Illinois, closed 2015 after 69 years of abusing horses
Sports Creek Raceway, Michigan, closed 2015 after 28 years of abusing horses
Hollywood Park, California, closed 2013 after 75 years of abusing horses
Mount Pleasant Meadows, Michigan, closed 2013 after 28 years of abusing horses
Eureka Downs, Kansas, closed 2011 after 108 years of abusing horses
Atokad Downs, Nebraska, closed 2011 after 55 years of abusing horses
Northwest Montana Fair, closed 2011 after unknown number of years abusing horses
Yellowstone Downs, Montana, closed 2011 after 65 years of abusing horses
Blue Ribbon Downs, Oklahoma, closed 2010 after 47 years of abusing horses
Dayton Days, Washington, closed 2010 after 122 years of abusing horses
Manor Downs, Texas, closed 2010 after 20 years of abusing horses
Pinnacle Race Course, Michigan, closed 2010 after 2 years of abusing horses
Waitsburg, Washington, closed 2010 after 99 years of abusing horses
Walla Walla Fair, Washington, closed 2010 after 144 years of abusing horses
Western Montana Fair, closed 2010 after 96 years of abusing horses
Anthony Downs, Kansas, closed 2009 after 105 years of abusing horses
Rockingham Park, New Hampshire, closed 2009 after 103 years of abusing horses
Solano Fair, California, closed 2009 after 58 years of abusing horses
Bay Meadows, California, closed 2008 after 74 years of abusing horses
Jackson Harness Raceway, Michigan, closed 2008 after 60 years of abusing horses
Great Lakes Downs, Michigan, closed 2007 after 18 years of abusing horses
Rochester Fair, New Hampshire, closed 2007 after 73 years of abusing horses
Woodlands Racecourse, Kansas, closed 2007 after 17 years of abusing horses
Northampton Fair, Massachusetts, closed 2005 after 62 years of abusing horses
Saginaw Valley Downs, Michigan, closed 2005 after 25 years of abusing horses
Sportsmanís Park, Illinois, closed 2002 after 70 years of abusing horses
Brockton Fair, Massachusetts, closed 2001 after 60 years of abusing horses
Garden State Park Racetrack, New Jersey, closed 2001 after 59 years of abusing horses
Playfair Race Course, Washington, closed 2001 after 100 years of abusing horses
Lone Oak Park, Oregon, closed 2000 after 67 years of abusing horses

With all due respect, that's a bunch of horse crap. I'll tell you exactly why those tracks closed, and it's not because of abuse, which is only in your imagination. Horse racing has declined, because all the fkg little morons nowadays have to have their instant gratification, their x-boxes or whatever they're called, they walk on the street not looking where they're going because they've got their face glued to their i-phones texting each other. The generation of today doesn't have the patience to sit a half hour between races, or use their brains to study the Form, the kids now days need everything NOW NOW NOW. Gimmee gimmee gimmee. This generation sucks.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 168
bobbartop
August 24th, 2019 at 7:26:00 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Obviously the racinos have played a hand in the decline, I would have to take such a thing into consideration. Most of the time it's quite confusing finding the tracks at racinos and other times almost mysterious. I think I'd like an obligation kept in some form. In reality, none of that matters, politicians are short-sighted, so the companies will be spoiled.

Racinos are saving many small tracks. Yonkers had closed for several years and since reopening has greatly increased the purses, which attracts better horses.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 37
bobbartopbeachbumbabs
August 24th, 2019 at 10:50:16 PM permalink

I actually think horse racing is better off being a lower tier sport, flying below the radar of network television for all but its most prestiges events. Considering the current moral climate, every time a race is seen by a large crowd the sport is putting all its integrity on the line. Should a major tragedy (where several horses end up euthanized) now take place and is witnessed by millions live on television, the future of horse racing would grow very dark, very quickly.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
bobbartop
bobbartop
August 24th, 2019 at 11:59:09 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I actually think horse racing is better off being a lower tier sport, flying below the radar of network television for all but its most prestiges events. Considering the current moral climate, every time a race is seen by a large crowd the sport is putting all its integrity on the line. Should a major tragedy (where several horses end up euthanized) now take place and is witnessed by millions live on television, the future of horse racing would grow very dark, very quickly.

That's an interesting comment. Thanks for this post.

But while we're talking about the plight of animals, if anyone cares about animals, it's way overdue that something should be done about those a-holes in Spain and their damn bull-fighting. It is barbaric. The bull has zero chance. And I really don't feel sorry for a matador who gets a horn stuck through his abdomen. Gee, that's too bad. I remember a few years ago a matador got killed by a bull, (a bull that he was trying to torture and kill slowly), and do you know what those jerks in Spain did? Not only did they kill the bull, but they even found the bull's mother and killed her, to get even for the matador. That's some sick sh*t right there.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
bobbartop
August 25th, 2019 at 12:34:53 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

That's an interesting comment. Thanks for this post.

But while we're talking about the plight of animals, if anyone cares about animals, it's way overdue that something should be done about those a-holes in Spain and their damn bull-fighting. It is barbaric. The bull has zero chance. And I really don't feel sorry for a matador who gets a horn stuck through his abdomen. Gee, that's too bad. I remember a few years ago a matador got killed by a bull, (a bull that he was trying to torture and kill slowly), and do you know what those jerks in Spain did? Not only did they kill the bull, but they even found the bull's mother and killed her, to get even for the matador. That's some sick sh*t right there.

Lots of that has been eliminated. There hasn't been bullfighting in Barcelona for years.

• Jump to: