ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 18th, 2019 at 9:39:18 AM permalink
One of the things that was In the Nevada Gaming Regulations' list of things sports books can't accept bets on was, a professional sporting event held in, or involving a team from, Nevada, if that league's commissioner requested such a ban. I remember then-NBA commissioner David Stern requesting a ban on taking bets on the 2007 NBA All-Star Game (and also the slam-dunk and 3-point shooting contests) held in Vegas; there was a time when you could see the letter he sent to the Gaming Commission. However, the most recent (dated 1/24/2019) version no longer has this.

Does anybody know just when this was removed - and why do I have the feeling that this has something to do with the Las Vegas Raiders, as well as the possibility of a Vegas Super Bowl?

Speaking of Super Bowls, Nevada books made 7.4% statewide on all Super Bowl bets this year, according to the Commission.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
tringlomane
February 18th, 2019 at 9:48:59 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

One of the things that was In the Nevada Gaming Regulations' list of things sports books can't accept bets on was, a professional sporting event held in, or involving a team from, Nevada, if that league's commissioner requested such a ban. I remember then-NBA commissioner David Stern requesting a ban on taking bets on the 2007 NBA All-Star Game (and also the slam-dunk and 3-point shooting contests) held in Vegas; there was a time when you could see the letter he sent to the Gaming Commission. However, the most recent (dated 1/24/2019) version no longer has this.

Does anybody know just when this was removed - and why do I have the feeling that this has something to do with the Las Vegas Raiders, as well as the possibility of a Vegas Super Bowl?

Speaking of Super Bowls, Nevada books made 7.4% statewide on all Super Bowl bets this year, according to the Commission.

I would say as soon as the NHL had a team in Vegas, that was it for this rule. It was one thing when it was only prohibiting the WNBA Vegas franchise and college teams, but once the 4 major sports began expanding into Vegas this ban had no chance of remaining in.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 18th, 2019 at 10:17:34 AM permalink
I believe it was changed around 2010 so bets could be taken on events in Nevada. I remember that in years past we could not bet on UNLV games.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 18th, 2019 at 10:35:40 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I believe it was changed around 2010 so bets could be taken on events in Nevada. I remember that in years past we could not bet on UNLV games.

The rule against betting on UNLV (or Nevada) was lifted in 2001. There was a time when books could not take futures bets on who would win the NCAA men's basketball tournament until Vegas (Nevada was still Division II back then) was out of the tournament; sometime in the 1990s, IIRC, this changed to "which non-Nevada team would finish highest.

I am talking about the change that gets rid of the possibility of a league commissioner asking for a ban on betting on games with a Vegas team, or held in Vegas.
  • Jump to: