1 vote (2.04%)

49 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 168
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
February 13th, 2021 at 2:29:21 AM permalink

it's a tender and touching story of Billy Conigliaro - R.I.P. - who took care of his brother and preserved his brother's legacy

Tony Conigliaro, a budding young superstar, suffered terribly, from a beaning at age 22

he made a comeback - but so did his suffering - and he died at age 45

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/sports/baseball/billy-conigliaro-dead.html

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanks for this post from:
Jimmy2TimesAxelWolf
February 20th, 2021 at 1:36:12 PM permalink

2002 - Irish Mickey Ward vs. Arturo Gatti - rounds 9 & 10
many call round 9 the greatest round in the history of boxing - round 10 seemed to me be to just as good

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2021 at 9:45:20 AM permalink

I had an idea that the dog might be a good bet very early in the NBA season because the abilities of the teams are not well known. many teams add or subtract players and even those who don't do much of that - the 28 year olds are now 29.
it seemed to me that there would be significantly greater unpredictability and that unpredictability would favor the dogs
using covers.com I tracked the against the spread results of every single game of the first 21 days of the 2020/2021 NBA season

results:

NBA dogs December 22 2020 thru January 11 2021

92-62..............60% winners...................54.6%...................R.O.I.

anybody who wants to double check my stats can do this at covers.com
covers.com is the only site I know that provides this type of historical data

when I feel like I have more energy I will work on other years and report back
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2021 at 9:45:23 AM permalink

I had an idea that the dog might be a good bet very early in the NBA season because the abilities of the teams are not well known. many teams add or subtract players and even those who don't do much of that - the 28 year olds are now 29.
it seemed to me that there would be significantly greater unpredictability and that unpredictability would favor the dogs
using covers.com I tracked the against the spread results of every single game of the first 21 days of the 2020/2021 NBA season

results:

NBA dogs December 22 2020 thru January 11 2021

92-61..............60% winners...................14.8%..................... R.O.I.

anybody who wants to double check my stats can do this at covers.com
covers.com is the only site I know of that provides this type of historical data

when I feel like I have more energy I will work on other years and report back

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 26, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 27th, 2021 at 2:03:38 PM permalink

incredible story of how an indigenous Mexican tribe who live the mountains known as the Raramuri run races thru the mountains and villages that are as long as 140 miles wearing only simple sandals
they have become known to the outside world and they have competed and beaten some of the worlds greatest runners in ultra marathons that are 50 or more miles long
in 1927 they were invited to Austin, Texas to compete in a 82 mile long race - they won finishing 1st and 2nd despite facing difficulties they never faced in their home region such as exhaust from vehicles

https://ultrarunninghistory.com/tarahumara/

marcel55
marcel55
  • Threads: 0
February 28th, 2021 at 6:26:43 AM permalink
This link is really impressive ;)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2021 at 9:29:10 AM permalink

really interesting and impressive NCAAB factoid stat from back in the day - to me anyway

Jerry Lucas was the star of the National Champions 1960 Ohio State team
he was a sophomore and his field goal % was an incredibly high .𝟔𝟑𝟕

Wilt Chamberlain's best FG % at Kansas was .627

Chamberlain probably shot about 85% dunks and finger rolls

I didn't see Lucas play in college but his pro game was mostly outside shots from about 15 feet and hooks from about 10 feet out
that was probably also what he was doing in college

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerry-lucas-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wilt-chamberlain-1.html

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
March 11th, 2021 at 10:52:00 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

really interesting and impressive NCAAB factoid stat from back in the day - to me anyway

Jerry Lucas was the star of the National Champions 1960 Ohio State team
he was a sophomore and his field goal % was an incredibly high .𝟔𝟑𝟕

Wilt Chamberlain's best FG % at Kansas was .627

Chamberlain probably shot about 85% dunks and finger rolls

I didn't see Lucas play in college but his pro game was mostly outside shots from about 15 feet and hooks from about 10 feet out
that was probably also what he was doing in college

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerry-lucas-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wilt-chamberlain-1.html

Wilt had zero dunks in college as they were illegal. You couldn't even do them in a practice. One of UCLA's rare losses during the Wooden era happened because someone dunked a ball in warmups and the other team got a two free throw technical foul and won the game by one point.

I saw Lucas play on the Knicks and he was by far the best shooting big man of his time. The only guy close was Dan issell.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2021 at 1:31:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Wilt had zero dunks in college as they were illegal.

what you have stated here is not correct

in 1956 the NCAA banned dunking free throws as there were rumors Wilt would throw a pass to himself from the free throw line and then dunk it or deliberately bounce it off the backboard - follow the shot and then dunk it

in 1967, (see link), the NCAA, in probably its' worst decision ever, banned dunking fearing that Lew Alcindor would be too dominant if allowed to dunk

this is Wilt at Kansas - at 0:15 in the vid you can see him dunking

https://www.school-for-champions.com/sports/basketball_players_who_caused_rule_changes.htm#.YEqKHiKSmUk

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
March 11th, 2021 at 2:07:47 PM permalink
I stand corrected. I started watching NCAA in 1970 and dunking was illegal. I did not know that was a recent development and for some reason I attributed it to the Mikan era.

• Jump to: