beachmonkey
beachmonkey
  • Threads: 6
December 19th, 2017 at 4:42:07 AM permalink
Some of you won’t understand but a couple of you will , so let’s launch in to it shall we matey ! Second test Adelaide, I had England at a draw @&6:00 lost damm. Third test Perth had Alister Cook to get a ton . Lost damm.
As you may know I’m an Aussie but I do love my sports iam really hoping England contests the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. I’m looking to make cash on English player one way or another as the odds against them are climbing.
Now the ashes are lost to them I tend to think as per past experience re ashes once that initial pressure is off , the losing team usually performs better in last test or two of the series.
There has been some great play this last test and the luck just wasn’t there for some that really needed it ie Cook , Root , Anderson.
Thanks
Kind regards
Excuse me this is about the game of cricket and some would say the most hotly contested series between two nations. I would have to agree.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
December 19th, 2017 at 6:16:32 AM permalink
Quote: beachmonkey

Now the ashes are lost to them

beachmonkey,

Years ago I visited Australia and spent a wonderful afternoon at a bar with 2 Aussies who were totally into the game of cricket. A match was in progress on televisions scattered through the bar. Because I knew nothing, my Aussie friends explained the ins and outs of every play. I loved the game immediately.

However, I don't understand reference to "ashes" as it relates to cricket. Can you explain? And, good luck on the Boxing Day test in Melbourne.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 19th, 2017 at 6:58:26 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

However, I don't understand reference to "ashes" as it relates to cricket. .

The Ashes urn, made of terracotta and about 15 cm (6 inches) tall, is reputed to contain a burnt cricket bail. The Ashes is a Test cricket series played between England and Australia. The Ashes are regarded as being held by the team that most recently won the Test series.

Its some tradition since the mid 1800s or something.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 19th, 2017 at 9:13:22 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The Ashes urn, made of terracotta and about 15 cm (6 inches) tall, is reputed to contain a burnt cricket bail. The Ashes is a Test cricket series played between England and Australia. The Ashes are regarded as being held by the team that most recently won the Test series.

Its some tradition since the mid 1800s or something.

The ashes are metaphorically the cremated remains of test cricket, and more literally are supposed the ashes of cremated bails from a match where Australia beat Britain on British soil..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes explains it better.

"The term originated in a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, immediately after Australia's 1882 victory at The Oval, their first Test win on English soil. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and "the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia"."
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: