Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 145
February 28th, 2016 at 2:06:37 AM permalink
Mohaymen dominated in winning the Fountain of Youth stakes yesterday and he is undefeated and the no.1 ranked 3 year old as we head towards the Derby. He may face undefeated Nyquist in the Florida Derby on April 2 which is the final prep race before the Derby.
"𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘯 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦" .......ᴍɪᴋᴇ ᴛyꜱᴏɴ
coilman
coilman 
  • Threads: 126
February 28th, 2016 at 3:24:20 AM permalink
Can the POOR KID from Windsor Ont win the DERBY this year AGAIN?

Can almost hear him saying in the winners circle..... "I'll Have Another"
speedycrap
speedycrap 
  • Threads: 41
February 28th, 2016 at 8:04:36 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Mohaymen dominated in winning the Fountain of Youth stakes yesterday and he is undefeated and the no.1 ranked 3 year old as we head towards the Derby. He may face undefeated Nyquist in the Florida Derby on April 2 which is the final prep race before the Derby.

Should the mod move this to 2016 Kentucky Derby please???
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
March 3rd, 2016 at 4:14:35 PM permalink
This thread has been split into a new 2016 thread from last year's KD discussion.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
speedycrap
speedycrap 
  • Threads: 41
March 3rd, 2016 at 5:50:03 PM permalink
Any good idea for this year's KD???
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 4th, 2016 at 2:34:17 PM permalink
"Good" is in the eye of the beholder, until the camera goes off as they cross the wire. But in the Gotham tomorrow (Aqueduct race #9) I will be paying particularly close attention to Shagaf, a colt from Chad Brown's barn, to see what kind he might turn out to be, in what looks like a decent and competitive but not overwhelming Grade 3 field. Brown probably doesn't even have a clear judgment on that yet; this will be only his third lifetime start. The racing cliche that applies is "could be any kind." Including a donkey. Or something special. Or not. His speed figures are light, but that was while winning by daylight with more in the tank than he was asked for. He has the pedigree to go on and up and to get 10 furlongs in two months, or more, if his little obscure maiden and allowance races were really an indication of what they hinted at visually. Pletcher's colt (Rally Cry) now entered in the Gotham was severely compromised by a trip from Hell last time out, and at least one other might be a pretty nice middle distance horse. But in my opinion, Shagaf is the only one tomorrow that would potentially be likely to stay a mile and a quarter against a typical Derby pace at Churchill.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
March 4th, 2016 at 5:41:52 PM permalink
The Gotham does indeed look like a solid betting race. There is also a 4 horse field running in Dubai tomorrow with an interesting horse Blue Creek(GB) running. Currently Nyquist and Mohaymen are the deserving Derby favorites based on their performances at the track. I will mention a few I fancy for the Derby at the moment. (in no particular order).
Mo Tom (KY) - Has developed a consistent deep closing style that is impressive, but I wonder if he is really fast enough to compete at 10 furlongs.
Battery (ON) - Lightly raced runner that seems to be improving at the right time.
Zulu (KY) - Same as above. Talented but lightly raced. Outclassed by Mohayman in FOY, but certainly could improve after his first stakes attempt.
Riker (KY) - Recently bought (partially) and has been great in recent works in South Florida. Yet to race in 2016 and will likely take the Turfway park (Battaglia/Spiral Stakes) route to the Derby.
Last edited by: Keeneone on Mar 4, 2016
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 5th, 2016 at 2:24:34 AM permalink
Sunny Ridge is 7/2 on the morning line for the Gotham. He won the Withers Stakes about a month ago.
His owner and trainer are saying they may decide not to run him in the Derby even if he wins.
Because they had a disappointing experience with Smarty Jones. The undefeated filly Songbird is
1/9 on the morning line at Santa Anita's Santa Ysabel stakes. That was a surprise. I don't think I've
ever before seen a horse appear as 1/9 on a morning line. She embarrassed the rest of the field in the
La Virgenes stakes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/sports/horse-racing/derby-caliber-gelding-has-connections-dreaming-of-the-preakness-instead.html?ref=sports
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 5, 2016
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 5th, 2016 at 4:31:38 PM permalink
Songbird just crushed the field in the Santa Ysabel Stakes.
There was a staggering 1.3 million bet in the win, place, show pool.
823 thousand was bet into the show pool causing Santa Anita to eat a minus pool of `158 thousand.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 5, 2016
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 86
March 5th, 2016 at 5:47:12 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Songbird just crushed the field in the Santa Ysabel Stakes.
There was a staggering 1.3 million bet in the win, place, show pool.
823 thousand was bet into the show pool causing the track to eat a minus pool of `158 thousand.

There was also minus 4900 in the place pool.

But what was Songbird doing in a Grade III, anyway?

• Jump to: