EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
September 23rd, 2014 at 12:12:14 PM permalink
For several years now, I've been downloading weekly NFL stats from Warren Repole's Sunshine Forecast website.

The stats include number of 1st downs, 3rd Down efficiency, rushing attempts, rushing yards, passing attempts, passing yards, number of fumbles, time of possession, etc., etc., etc. In addition, there are DEFENSIVE stats for the above categories too, as well as the game's pointspread and the over/under line.

Unfortunately, the website hasn't been updated since Week 1. And here it is with Week 3's games already completed. To my knowledge, the site's always been updated regularly in the past. I've written to Warren, asking him what's up, but he hasn't responded. (Hopefully he's okay.)

Anyway, it looks like I might have to have to find another site to download the weekly data from. Does anybody know of a good one? Important: Ideally, it will be a site that has the data formatted in a way that is easy to parse. By that, I mean I will be writing a script to download it all automatically, at the click of a button. If the site contains a lot of unnecessary html code, that just makes my job in writing the script a bit harder. The Sunshine Forecast site had all of the information conveniently stored in a single csv file.

Thanks in advance.
66olds
66olds
  • Threads: 0
September 25th, 2014 at 9:10:14 AM permalink
You should try profootballranking.com

they use 15 offense and 15 defense stats with each stat ranked from 1 (best) to 32 (worst) with scores for all stats added to give a total score. they have a Team Ranking page to show where each team ranks on total offense and total defense with their score compared to the NFL's total offense and defense rankings. The also have a schedule section with game match up comparisions showing all the stats for each team, for every game every week. it is a free site with no advertising. They seem to be updated by Wednesday mornings each week.
66olds
66olds
October 16th, 2014 at 11:00:17 AM permalink
You need to go to profootballranking.com The have all the stats you want plus they rank all offenses and defenses by their scorng system. They update every Wednesday morning.
EdCollins
EdCollins
October 16th, 2014 at 11:52:08 AM permalink
I glanced at profootballranking.com. I might be wrong but it doesn't appear as if that site will work for me. I need weekly data... I don't want it accumulated for me.

To clarify, when we are in Week 13 (for example), what happened in Week 1 and Week 2 and Week 3 (for example) to me is irrelevant. I want the ability to be able to disregard all of the data and scores and yardage and all of that from those very early weeks entirely if so desired.

In Week 13 (or any given week) I want the ability to be able to look at just the data from the PRIOR four or five or six or seven or whatever number of weeks. I don't want all stats accumulated for me from Week 1.

I think I can get just about everything I need from the box scores from each individual game at nfl.com. I just haven't had the time yet to start coding it. This will take me at least a weekend or two to code it all.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
October 16th, 2014 at 11:59:09 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

I glanced at profootballranking.com. I might be wrong but it doesn't appear as if that site will work for me. I need weekly data... I don't want it accumulated for me.

To clarify, when we are in Week 13 (for example), what happened in Week 1 and Week 2 and Week 3 (for example) to me is irrelevant. I want the ability to be able to disregard all of the data and scores and yardage and all of that from those very early weeks entirely if so desired.

In Week 13 (or any given week) I want the ability to be able to look at just the data from the PRIOR four or five or six or seven or whatever number of weeks. I don't want all stats accumulated for me from Week 1.

I think I can get just about everything I need from the box scores from each individual game at nfl.com. I just haven't had the time yet to start coding it. This will take me a good weekend to code it all, easy.

I'm not sure that this helpful to you, but in case it may be. I, like you, have a need for weekly stats, but also use YTD stats. In my case, I use Yahoo NFL stats, update the YTD and then have a file where the current YTD subtracts the prior YTD to yield the current week. It's relatively simple to do, as proven by a dumbass such as myself........
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
EdCollins
EdCollins
October 16th, 2014 at 1:41:07 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

I'm not sure that this helpful to you, but in case it may be. I, like you, have a need for weekly stats, but also use YTD stats. In my case, I use Yahoo NFL stats, update the YTD and then have a file where the current YTD subtracts the prior YTD to yield the current week. It's relatively simple to do, as proven by a dumbass such as myself........

Yep, I actually thought of that. (Getting the current stats from any website and subtracting the prior stats I already have from those current stats, to get the weekly stats.)

But there's one small problem (for me) with this method... if I miss a week.

Let's say I'm on vacation or working out of town or something. A week and a half later, by the time I get around to going online and downloading the accumulate stats, they now contain two weeks worth of additional information. I wouldn't have a breakdown of each of those past two weeks.

I will check out Yahoo's NFL stats, however, and see what they have to offer.
66olds
66olds
October 16th, 2014 at 1:47:26 PM permalink
It looks like box scores is what you want, but that won't show you your teams performance direction, weather your team is getting better or worse from week to week on offense and defense. profootballranking.com schedule pages will show you that information.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
October 16th, 2014 at 1:47:38 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

But there's one small problem (for me) with this method... if I miss a week.

Yep....I understand since I've experienced that. Pain in the butt to recover.........
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
  • Jump to: