Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 1st, 2014 at 9:36:51 PM permalink
Any questions about the game should be posted here.

I will be sending PM invites over the next three days, apologies if you get more than one, but I'll try to avoid that. You are free to announce you want to play in-thread to receive PM reminders, and you may also play even if you do not receive an invite.

The Rules will be as follows:

Format:

Winner Take All (w/exception)

Participation:

You will not need to announce that you are participating in-thread or via PM in advance. The Lines will be posted on Thursday, September 4th, so simply PM me your picks and you are in the game. You MUST make Week 1 Picks to participate, or participate as of Week 2, but Week 1 shall constitute your, 'Skip,' Week. If you wish to receive a reminder, however, please announce you are playing in-thread.

Rules:

1.) The winner will be determined by having the highest winning percentage. In the event of a tie, the winners will have the option of either splitting the take, or they may agree to PM me a Super Bowl pick prior to the Super Bowl, but after the combatants are known, consisting of the winning team, spread and TD's thrown; the winner will be determined in that order. If two Members PM me the same thing, they will BOTH be asked to change at least one aspect of their picks.

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 11:59p.m. EST the Saturday before the game.

3.) Sunday/Monday games will be the only games considered. Every player must pick exactly five winners against the Spread, exactly five Over/Unders, or a combination totalling exactly five.

4.) Players may, "Skip," one week without making any picks, but they don't have to. If a player accidentally fails to submit picks, that will constitute the, "Skip," week.

5.) If a player fails to make picks for more than one week, he/she forfeits and will owe any monies lost to the winner(s).

***Any player missing two weeks will have the option of EITHER forfeiting immediately or accepting a record of 0-5 for the second missed week. If the player misses a third week, the forfeit is automatic.

6.) Picks will be PM'ed to me at any point prior to 11:59p.m. Saturday, all picks will be openly posted by me between midnight Sunday and kick-off.

***The exception to this Rule is that I will accept E-Mail Picks from banned Members, but only if they are banned. If you are banned, you can still receive PM's, so I will PM you my E-Mail address.

7.) At some point on Tuesday the picks, results and updated Standings will be posted by yours truly.

8.) CONFIDENCE PICK: You may make one, "Confidence Pick," per week, though you don't have to. Your, "Confidence Pick," must be made expressly clear in your PM. The CONFIDENCE PICK result will count either as two wins or two losses, if made.

PAYS

1.) If you are not the winner, then you will pay $0.10, with a minimum of $1.00, for every one-hundredth of a percentage your winning percentage is off from that of the winner. (i.e., if you batted .000, and the winner picked perfectly, you would owe $100)

2.) In the event that you forfeit the game, you will automatically owe the sum of $25 if you forfeit prior to Week 10. If you forfeit after Week 10, then you will owe the greater of $25 or $0.10 for every one-hundredth percentage point you are away from the winner.

3.) I will not be handling any money. Everyone participating is on the honor system. I am not responsible for non-payment or under-payment. The winner(s) and loser(s) will be responsible for determining privately and amongst themselves how the transaction is to be handled. The winner(s) may post the name(s) of any loser(s) who has AGREED on a method of payment yet failed to pay the winner within sixty (60) days of said agreement being established.

4.) Just to give this thing +EV, I will be paying the winner $25 within thirty days of the SB being played. I will pay by sending a Money Order. I will be defending the $25, but am incapable of winning any prizes.

TIME

1.) The first Sunday of the Season is September 7th, Lines will be posted on Thursday, September 4th.

Pick Format

I'm not really going to enforce this, but the thing that took me the most time in previous years was actually re-formatting the Picks when moving them to the results thread and/or EdCollins' program that he so graciously designed for this game. It would be appreciated if Picks were formatted in a uniform way, so here is how I would strongly (but respectfully) prefer it:

1.) No Line Breaks

2.) For Spread picks, simply put the team nickname and the spread. (Ex: Bengals +5)

3.) For Over/Unders, simply put the team nickname for EITHER team, and the Over or Under amount. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25)

4.) To designate a Confidence Pick, simply put a hyphen and, "Confidence," after the pick. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25-Confidence)

So, a full set of picks might appear:

Patriots -15
Patriots OVER 52
Jaguars +12
Jaguars UNDER 42
Jets +4-Confidence

Let's have a great time, again!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 1st, 2014 at 9:59:02 PM permalink
When I win this thing, I intend to give the proceeds to Mission, even if I have to drive there and kick his ass to make him take the money !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
September 1st, 2014 at 10:07:46 PM permalink
I am in and likely "dead money" but it is a whole lot of fun during the season. Thanks for putting in the work to run this again, Mission!
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:26:01 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I am in and likely "dead money" but it is a whole lot of fun during the season. Thanks for putting in the work to run this again, Mission!

I plan on being in last place. I suck at sports betting.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:23:25 AM permalink
I did real well till the final week last year so I want to play again this time as well. :)
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:54:45 AM permalink
I'm in! Hopefully I can keep my good results going.

2012: 62-24
2013: 51-43
Combined: 113-67
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 2nd, 2014 at 9:56:37 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Participation:

You will not need to announce that you are participating in-thread or via PM in advance. The Lines will be posted on Thursday, September 4th, so simply PM me your picks and you are in the game. You MUST make Week 1 Picks to participate, or participate as of Week 2, but Week 1 shall constitute your, 'Skip,' Week. If you wish to receive a reminder, however, please announce you are playing in-thread...

PAYS

1.) If you are not the winner, then you will pay $0.10, with a minimum of $1.00, for every one-hundredth of a percentage your winning percentage is off from that of the winner. (i.e., if you batted .000, and the winner picked perfectly, you would owe $100)

2.) In the event that you forfeit the game, you will automatically owe the sum of $25 if you forfeit prior to Week 10. If you forfeit after Week 10, then you will owe the greater of $25 or $0.10 for every one-hundredth percentage point you are away from the winner.

To be very clear, IF YOU ENTER, AND DON'T WIN, YOU WILL NEED TO PAY BETWEEN $1 AND $100. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
September 2nd, 2014 at 10:11:43 AM permalink
How many people did not pay up last year?
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 2nd, 2014 at 10:43:21 AM permalink
WELCHERS NOT WELCOME AND WILL BE DEALT WITH ACCORDINGLY !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 2nd, 2014 at 1:30:48 PM permalink
Quote: kmumf

How many people did not pay up last year?

Two. One claimed to not know that he would be obligated to pay if he bailed after a poor first week. The other is making alternate arrangements for payment. Overall, very very good. However, I would like to avoid the drama by making sure anyone new to the game is clear on what they are getting into.
GWAE
GWAE
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:51:46 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Two. One claimed to not know that he would be obligated to pay if he bailed after a poor first week. The other is making alternate arrangements for payment. Overall, very very good. However, I would like to avoid the drama by making sure anyone new to the game is clear on what they are getting into.

both of those people should be listed here and both excluded from playing this year.

Also, a rule that says no Mario ;-)
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:23:16 PM permalink
I'm in and reminders are very welcome, Pierce!

Ayecarumba, I'm sorry to hear that you were not payed in full.
Let's hope this year we get 100% players paying up their debts.
As for Mike, I really think that 6X-2X is a hell of a score to beat...
No bounce, no play.
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:23:10 PM permalink
i guess I got the best deal then last year- thanks ayecarumba , maybe we can split it again
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:24:05 PM permalink
Please include me, Pierce.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:26:10 PM permalink
I'm in Pierce
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:34:53 PM permalink
I have got $25 that says I finish ahead of the man behind the curtain.

Even money, if you want to be spotted, you should have been born a leopard.
10DollarBri
10DollarBri
  • Threads: 2
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:35:15 PM permalink
Me too. I'm in.
I know nothing!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:45:08 PM permalink
Quote: strictlyAP

i guess I got the best deal then last year- thanks ayecarumba , maybe we can split it again

I would be quite happy to be in a position to even consider the opportunity to chop the championship this year. It is going to be tough. The Wizard is looking to repeat his 2012-13 smackdown.
miplet
miplet 
  • Threads: 5
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:00:37 PM permalink
I'm in. Please out me on the reminder's list. I wonder how many of my picks will be made with less than 5 minutes to spare?
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:55:25 PM permalink
Okay Mission (and anyone else who wants a copy), here's the link to this year's Ed's Wizard of Vegas NFL Forum Contest Grading Calculator.

It's unchanged since last year, other than this year's NFL schedule for the year has been entered. I hope it makes things easier again.

With a program the size of this, I do expect another bug or two to crop up. My apologies in advance. As before, I'm a little nervous in uploading it since I don't want it to crash and burn over something stupid, but I guess I shouldn't be. Maybe we got all of the bugs out of it last year!

As before, just cut an paste everyone's picks into the Summary and Picks worksheet tab. The format is player name, followed by an optional empty line, followed by a mandatory five lines of picks, folowed by another optional empty line before the next entry.

Enter the Contest Line and Contest Over/Under Line in the NFL Lines and Results worksheet tab.

When the NFL games have finished, just enter the final scores in this same tab.

Once the scores have been entered, swap back over to the Summary & Picks tab and click the Grade Player Picks button.

That's pretty much it.

Note that you can "grade" the picks, even with no NFL results yet entered. Although there are no results, the program will still check each player's picks for potential errors.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
September 3rd, 2014 at 1:44:06 AM permalink
I will play this season. The contest ends after week 17, right?

may be picked at any time prior to 11:59p.m. EST the Saturday before the game.

Considering that the majority of this contest will be played during daylight savings time, I propose this language in the official rules be changed to 11:59 p.m. EDT
wudged
wudged
September 3rd, 2014 at 5:49:58 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

I will play this season. The contest ends after week 17, right?

Considering that the majority of this contest will be played during daylight savings time, I propose this language in the official rules be changed to 11:59 p.m. EDT

It's pretty close to half and half isn't it?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:14:12 AM permalink
Quote: wudged

Maybe it should be "Midnight whereever Mission is"?
sodawater
sodawater
September 3rd, 2014 at 1:27:28 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

Yes
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
September 3rd, 2014 at 1:40:20 PM permalink
I'm not very active on this site, but I like the sound of this contest. Count me in.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 3rd, 2014 at 7:45:00 PM permalink
Looks like we have alot of interest.
Just to be Crystal clear to alot new people here, there is a 98% chance you will lose money.
This contest costs money but its an honor system settled at the end of the season.
on the positive, if you lose, it wont be alot.
Its alot of fun.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
jml24
jml24
September 4th, 2014 at 8:19:18 AM permalink
I will be playing again this year and appreciate the reminders. Thanks for your work on this.
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
September 4th, 2014 at 4:23:00 PM permalink
What time and where do the lines get posted? Is tonight's game "off the board"?
wudged
wudged
September 4th, 2014 at 4:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: GenWyzgy

What time and where do the lines get posted? Is tonight's game "off the board"?

Rule 3 says only Sunday/Monday games are considered
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 4th, 2014 at 4:38:26 PM permalink
I am dead money, but I am in
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 4th, 2014 at 4:46:25 PM permalink
Dead Money is always welcome !
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 4th, 2014 at 4:56:43 PM permalink
Buzz, if I do win, you better not tell me to go find my hat when pay time comes.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 4th, 2014 at 4:59:05 PM permalink
I never welch. I might include a hat in the payoff though. Do you own a strainer ?
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2014 at 8:06:11 PM permalink
Greetings!

It gives me great pleasure to say:

Quote:

The Week 1 Lines have been posted!

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/19451-wov-picks-game-2014-official-thread/#post393415

Picks are due by Saturday 9/6/2014 at 23:59 EST.

Good luck to all, and let's have another great year!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 4th, 2014 at 8:15:56 PM permalink
Silly question Line is posted by City or State. Pick has to be by team name ?

Anyway my pick is in. Opening week is always tuff for me, probably 4-1.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2014 at 8:17:20 PM permalink
The computer program allows for either, so even though Mascot is still my preference, it's not as important as it was when I was doing this manually.
GWAE
GWAE
September 5th, 2014 at 5:31:31 AM permalink
my picks are in. I am willing to sell my picks since you would be able to bet the opposite and go at least 4-1
jml24
jml24
September 5th, 2014 at 8:28:12 AM permalink

The computer program allows for either, so even though Mascot is still my preference, it's not as important as it was when I was doing this manually.

Since you normally post the lines with the city names it is natural for people to submit them that way.
sodawater
sodawater
September 5th, 2014 at 12:21:13 PM permalink
The contest ends after week 17, right?
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
September 5th, 2014 at 1:20:12 PM permalink
I'm back this year after taking 2013 off. I finished above .500 in 2012 so I hope to make a run at this. Let's GO!
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 5th, 2014 at 2:44:02 PM permalink
If a member is suspended and unable to make his picks this week, it will just be his skip week ? Becaise I belive someone is about to get suspended.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 5th, 2014 at 3:00:46 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

If a member is suspended and unable to make his picks this week, it will just be his skip week ? Becaise I belive someone is about to get suspended.

Are you really in favor of a policy that anyone who trolls should be suspended, and any suspended member loses the chance to post picks for that week? Are you sure you've thought this through?
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 5th, 2014 at 3:09:48 PM permalink
Absolutely.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 5th, 2014 at 3:24:27 PM permalink

Absolutely.

As your attorney, I must advise against this.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 5th, 2014 at 3:30:08 PM permalink
My exwife has an in with the judge.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 5th, 2014 at 3:40:30 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

The contest ends after week 17, right?

Yes. It ends with the close of the regular season. If there is a tie, the rules state that Superbowl predictions will be used to break it (unless the tied players decide to chop).
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
September 5th, 2014 at 4:27:08 PM permalink
You know the official thread does not state it in the rules that i can find.. but im pretty sure we had to make 5 picks for a full 'ballet' correct?
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 5th, 2014 at 7:02:19 PM permalink
Quote: Malaru

You know the official thread does not state it in the rules that i can find.. but im pretty sure we had to make 5 picks for a full 'ballet' correct?

Correct.

3.) Sunday/Monday games will be the only games considered. Every player must pick exactly five winners against the Spread, exactly five Over/Unders, or a combination totalling exactly five.
Mission146
Mission146
September 5th, 2014 at 10:35:30 PM permalink

A suspended Member can still receive (just not send) PM"s. If this were to happen, I would PM a Member my E-Mail address with which that Member could submit his/her Picks, but E-Mail picks will ONLY be accepted in the event a Member is Suspended.
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
September 6th, 2014 at 6:29:52 AM permalink
Who is going to get suspended?
  • Jump to: