MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
March 6th, 2014 at 7:47:31 AM permalink
2014 WoV Men's NCAA Tournament Basketball Pool

As mentioned on a previous thread Are you doing March Madness brakets, the Wizard has given me permission to administer an NCAA tournament basketball pool this year. I asked for feedback on several topics and want to thank all those who replied.

This thread will be used to communicate any contest related information including selection summaries and scoring updates. The thread can also be used for general discussion about the contest.

Format

The traditional bracket format will be used, but the scoring is not traditional.

The earned points will be directly associated with the team seeding. In other words, each time your selected team wins, you earn the number of points of the teamís seed. For example, Michigan (#4 seed) faces North Dakota State (#13 seed). If you select Michigan and they win, you receive 4 points toward the pool standings. If you selected North Dakota State, and they win, you will receive 13 points.

The four ď1st roundĒ games that are held on Tuesday and Wednesday before the real start on Thursday will not be scored for purposes of this pool.

The complete bracket must be submitted before the bracket website (see below) cutoff on Thursday, 3/20. This is not a week to week pick selection, what you originally submit stands throughout the contest.

This format suggestion was made by SOOPOO and I agree with him that this will make the selection process more interesting and adds some additional skill to the contest.

Entry Information

Any member of the WoV is welcome to enter the pool. As the administrator, I will be submitting a bracket to be scored, but I am not entering the pool and will not be eligible for prize money.

Each entry is $15, with a limit of two entries per person. Therefore, to be clear, if you submit one entry you will have $15 at risk and if you submit two entries, $30 at risk. If you submit more than one entry please make sure to identify each submission separately.

Each participant will submit a complete bracket sometime between the pool selection show on Sunday, March 16th and the cutoff time for the website we end up using for entry and scoring. The specific website is TBD but it will most likely be Yahoo, ESPN, or CBS Sports (Iím open to hear your preferences). I have checked out CBS Sports and they have scoring system that meets the needs of this contest.

If you donít have an account with the designated site you will need to register with that site. If you donít wish to establish an account, you can also complete a bracket manually, scan it, and email it to me by midnight eastern on Wednesday, March 19th. If anyone falls in this category, let me know and I will provide an email address for you.

To enter, please PM me of your interest and confirm you understand that the entry fee is your responsibility (not mine, nor the Wizís) and I will then provide you a link to the contest.

Even though the website will handle the scoring, I'll try to post updated standings to WoV after each tournament day for all to see. At the least, I will updat WoV after each round. If there is any discrepency between the website scoring and what I described earlier, I will manually calculate the scores based on the format above.

I will not be collecting entry feeís up front. Everyone who enters is on the honor system that they will communicate with the winner to arrange payment and will complete such payment by May 1st, 2014.

Payouts

If there are 25 or less eligible entries the payouts will be split 65% for first and 35% for second. More than 25 entries will split the prizes as such, 55% for first, 30% for second, and 15% for third.

The payout will be rounded so they are even multiples of $15. The winnerís portion will always be rounded up.

For example, 35 entries at $15 a piece is $525 in the prize pool. In this case a winner with two entries has a calculated award of $258.75 ($288.75-$30.00), second place with one entry is $142.50 ($157.50-$15.00), and third with two entries is $48.75 ($78.75-$30). With rounding, the winner in this case will get $270, second $135, and third $45.

I will then randomly assign who pays whom so that no one will have to arrange payment to more than one winner. After that, it's up to the individuals to arrange payment.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I hope everyone has a good time with this.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
March 6th, 2014 at 6:31:29 PM permalink
when do we need to decide how many brackets we want?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 7th, 2014 at 6:13:31 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

when do we need to decide how many brackets we want?

You can enter up to two brackets when you get the link. I'm leaning toward CBS Sports because they have the scoring rules that were outlined and the site has a setting to limit the number of entries per account. So you could decide all the way up to the cutoff, which for this site I think is 11:00 am eastern on Thursday, 3/20.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 10th, 2014 at 7:44:44 PM permalink
If anyone is interested in participating in a WoV March Madness bracket contest, please read the original post and PM me. I would love to get as many entries as possible!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 14th, 2014 at 11:19:41 AM permalink
Thus far, we've had an underwhelming response to a WoV March Madness bracket contest. Please PM me if you are interested.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
March 16th, 2014 at 6:42:53 AM permalink
are you looking for a minimum number of people to make this go? I am only getting in 2 this year so if this isn't going to go then I will join another.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2014 at 7:45:28 AM permalink
So far the following members have indicated they are in:

beachbumbabs
michael99000
GWAE
beerseason
Knuckleball3
steeldco

Of course any of these participants can make either one or two entries.

I anticipate others will play once the brackets are announced.

Frankly, I thought there would be more interest and hadn't considered a minimum number to make this go. I think 15 entries (not people entered, but entries since an individual can enter twice) would be bare minimum to make this interesting from a financial standpoint. So, I'm making an executive decision to set that as a minimum number to make this a go. I really don't think that should be difficult and I will keep everybody updated on the participants and the number of entries.

FYI - I will have links out this morning. We will be using CBS Sports to enter and administer the brackets. I'll be off line most of the day but will forward the link to any new participants who PM me later this evening.

Good luck to everybody!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2014 at 8:06:57 AM permalink
I missed SOOPOO, so we have seven who expressed interest.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2014 at 11:35:56 PM permalink
Now we've had 9 confirm they want to play and had 4 complete brackets. (I still need to match up a name to a WoV handle for one entry)

beachbumbabs
michael99000
GWAE (1 entry)
beerseason
Knuckleball3
steeldco
SOOPOO
JohnnyQ (2 entries)
1arrowheaddr

FYI - When you sign up, please PM me the name you used (it doesn't have to be your real name) on CBS Sports, so I can match it up to your WoV handle.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 62
March 17th, 2014 at 12:33:01 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Format

The traditional bracket format will be used, but the scoring is not traditional.

The earned points will be directly associated with the team seeding. In other words, each time your selected team wins, you earn the number of points of the teamís seed. For example, Michigan (#4 seed) faces North Dakota State (#13 seed). If you select Michigan and they win, you receive 4 points toward the pool standings. If you selected North Dakota State, and they win, you will receive 13 points.

Does this mean there is no bonus for selecting winners in later rounds? E.g., if I pick Wichita State to win the national championship, I will only get 6 points total for their 6 wins? That seems like a bad format.

Or does the typical round-doubling still apply? E.g., select Louisville to win in the round of 64, earn 4 points. Select them to win in the round of 32, 8 points.

• Jump to: