thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 2nd, 2014 at 1:09:19 PM permalink
Last year I ran a game here for the playoffs. Players ranked the teams from 12 - 1. Each game a team won got them the player number of points. Most points wins.

So if you ranked Ravens 12 points last year, you got 36 points. Ranked them as a 1, you got 3 points.

Not doing it this year here (just a bit too late to set up, plus seems like Mission has a pick'em set up). But anyone got ideas of how they would bracket the teams if they were in a competition like this?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
January 2nd, 2014 at 1:43:31 PM permalink
12 Denver
11 Seattle
10 San Francisco
9 Carolina
8 New England
7 New Orleans
6 Indianapolis
5 Cincinnati
4 Philadelphia
3 Green Bay
2 Kansas City
1 San Diego
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 2nd, 2014 at 1:59:12 PM permalink
For the record, here is my initial set of picks:

12 - Seattle,
11 - Denver,

10 - San Francisco
9 - Indianapolis

8 - Carolina
7 - New England
6 - Cincinatti
5 - New Orleans

4 - Kansas City
3 - Green Bay
2 - Philadelphia
1 - San Diego

Mwalz09 - as a question why do you have two NFC teams ranked 10 and 9? Wouldn't it be better to have the AFC championship loser in that slot? Genuine question, I might have missed an angle.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
January 2nd, 2014 at 3:42:09 PM permalink
I gather, then, that both of you really like San Fran -2.5 over the Packers, this weekend?

You both give SF a high ranking and Green Bay a low ranking.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 2nd, 2014 at 4:34:29 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

I gather, then, that both of you really like San Fran -2.5 over the Packers, this weekend?

You both give SF a high ranking and Green Bay a low ranking.

I do. I can see SF getting by both GB and Carolina. And having a team from the wild card round highly ranked is a good tactic I think the more people are in the picks. I put it up for input as I'm not sure if my picks are great, and wanted to see if anyone had input :)
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
January 2nd, 2014 at 5:57:49 PM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

12 Denver
11 Seattle
10 San Francisco
9 Carolina
8 New England
7 New Orleans
6 Indianapolis
5 Cincinnati
4 Philadelphia
3 Green Bay
2 Kansas City
1 San Diego

I like your placings..except Kansas City is placed too high....by one
After feasting on the bottom feeders for 9 games....they appear to be pretenders when going up against good teams
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 2nd, 2014 at 6:55:32 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I like your placings..except Kansas City is placed too high....by one
After feasting on the bottom feeders for 9 games....they appear to be pretenders when going up against good teams

At the 1 and 2 level, it doesn't matter too much... if either of those teams create an upset, I'm probably hooped. I agree, the Chiefs were found wanting when they needed to be scoring W's against decent teams.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 3rd, 2014 at 9:01:30 AM permalink
If we're not playing, then I'm not going to figure out my exact weightings, it took me awhile last year, but I can say both SF/GB would be weighted pretty heavily because one of them MUST win that game, and I think either team could make a run. Denver would be pretty low, if not 1, because everyone has Denver pretty high, so even if I have them high, that just helps me not lose...if I want to give myself a good shot at winning, then I roll the dice and fade Denver low.

I don't think SEA will be loved quite as much as Denver, so I could make SEA a mid-rank team for me. I'd be surprised if both SEA and DEN lose their respective Div. Playoff rounds, so I'd just be handing others the game by taking both low. Have to go mid on one, low on the other, and hope neither make the SB, unless one of my heavily weighted WC teams go to the SB on the other side, then I'm still fine, because of the Bonus win.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
January 6th, 2014 at 11:18:07 AM permalink
So it would be 25-24 in your favor after Round 1. I have lost #'s 2, 3, 4, and 5 while you have lost #'s 2, 3, 4, and 6. Interesting.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 6th, 2014 at 11:48:43 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

So it would be 25-24 in your favor after Round 1. I have lost #'s 2, 3, 4, and 5 while you have lost #'s 2, 3, 4, and 6. Interesting.

Before I submitted, I swapped Green bay and Carolina, making Green Bay an 8 pointer. Mostly because I thoguth either GB or SF would win past Carolina.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 14th, 2014 at 11:38:08 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

12 - Seattle,
11 - Denver,

10 - San Francisco

7 - New England

I have 64 points now. Amusingly (to LarryS perhaps), I am one point behind the leader in the pool. If I had ranked San Diego 1 point higher (e.g. put KC at the 1 point spot), we'd be tied, and it'd all be down to progress of Seattle and Denver.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 14th, 2014 at 11:57:22 PM permalink
Is this the week that leading the league in penalties will catch up with Seattle? Just asking !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
January 15th, 2014 at 11:48:48 AM permalink
I find it hard to believe that this week SF will not only reverse the past by not losing by 20 points in seattle....but actually win outright

Sf only won by 2 points at home where the home team is given 3 points for home field....which means "the man" thought seattle was a better team when the line was 2.5. For equal teams the line would be 3.

So although I live in the Bay area and hear all the reasons why SF can win.....I am still going with seattle to win outright/moneyline...not sure it they cover
  • Jump to: