Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
November 27th, 2013 at 5:59:03 PM permalink
I don't know if this is the correct area of this thread bu I couldn't find a horse racing section so yeah, there's that :)

I'm a horse racing nut and can't wait for the Derby. I find that speculating and watching a horse develop over the next 5 months as well as dabbling in the futures market either on the tote or with Wynn or LVH is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Does anybody share my passion?

Dos anybody have an early favorite? Does anybody have a ticket yet?

I have a small wager with LVH on Mexicoma at 125/1. I know the syndicate owner quite well and they think they have a live horse. He isn't as good as Animial Kingdom but still a very decent 2 turn colt.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
November 27th, 2013 at 6:15:29 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

I don't know if this is the correct area of this thread bu I couldn't find a horse racing section so yeah, there's that :)

I'm a horse racing nut and can't wait for the Derby. I find that speculating and watching a horse develop over the next 5 months as well as dabbling in the futures market either on the tote or with Wynn or LVH is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I have a small wager with LVH on Mexicoma at 125/1. I know the syndicate owner quite well and they think they have a live horse. He isn't as good as Animial Kingdom but still a very decent 2 turn colt.

I not a huge fan but am familiar with the sport. I use to live in Maryland and loved betting on the pacers and trotters because they ran at night. Freestate raceway (closed) and Rosecroft.
What I find unusual about this sport is the biggest race in the industry are for 3 yr old youngsters barely mature. In other sports, its veterans with years of fans behind them rooting them on for the championship. Other sports, greatness is measured by how many times you have won the yearly championship. At the Derby, its a new set of youngsters every year. Also when we have a superstar horse, the horse is retired immediately. No following the horse through a long career of winning races. As a sports fan, its harder to follow because no continuity.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 27th, 2013 at 6:23:27 PM permalink
I appreciate your passion. I am not into it as far as predicting early favorites because at this age, sometimes these horses round into form durning the wait time between their last race and the Derby. YOu will laugh but what I usually do is wait till the positions and past performances are posted. I throw out the fave, and pick 7 horses for a 1 dollar tri box for 210.
Why? because its the only 20 horse race all year. With that comes chaos, with chaos comes bumping and positionng problems. And with that some unlikely results ensue at big payouts.

I do this sometimes for a 6 horse tri for the belmont for 120. I did this and won 10k 10 years ago when war emblam tripped at the gate.

I am not good enough to pick a winner out of 20. I definately dont do futures as horses get hurt and get scratched.

I probably wont look at it till post positions and past performances are out.
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 27th, 2013 at 6:24:23 PM permalink
You are right. In today's world the main concern of owners and breeders is to make a large as possible ROI if they have a good enough horse. Those come along about as often as a back to back to back Superbowl winner. When they do come along they get wrapped up in cotton balls and as soona s their superiority is established on the track they get rushed off to the breeding barn where they can make some serious money.

As for 3 year olds being hyped, it has always been considered that the 3 year olds are the "classic generation". They are young enough to be precocious and just old enough to develop some stamina. I guess it could also be a case of history taking preference over common sense?

Loads of 3 year olds break down during their 3 year old career and gets retired before their time. I have a theory here.

It is well known lore that it is very difficult for a horse to win the Derby if he hasn't raced as a 2 year old BUT racing horses at two places unecessary strain on still maturing bones.

In my opinion if a horse is good enough he can win without having a 2 year old run. That tradition is simply stupid if you ask me but most horsemen in the US swear by it......

Something about fools and horses? :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 27th, 2013 at 6:26:56 PM permalink
[I probably wont look at it till post positions and past performances are out.

That is absolutely the correct way of looking at the race, specially since these still maturing horses have never raced that far, the track is normally sloppy and they have never encountered a full field of 20. Makes for VERY interesting racing.

Still, nothing beats the thrill (for me at least) of finding a 70 to 1 shot (Animal Kingdom) and having a few $$$ on at that price, then 3 months later standing in the queue :)

We all have our vices I guess
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 42
November 27th, 2013 at 6:38:05 PM permalink

Should we ask Wizard to open a section for horse racing??????
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
November 27th, 2013 at 6:44:50 PM permalink

Don't know much at all about it but willing to learn. Found this listing of recent 2yrold winners on a horse forum, and they don't list any of the horses I know, and neither of yours, but since the list is defined by "recent winners", it's got to be very incomplete.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 27th, 2013 at 7:07:07 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Don't know much at all about it but willing to learn. Found this listing of recent 2yrold winners on a horse forum, and they don't list any of the horses I know, and neither of yours, but since the list is defined by "recent winners", it's got to be very incomplete.

Well Mexicoma ran 5th in the Breeders Cup Juvenile. He is live.
Um, Animal Kingdom won the Derby in 2011 and is now happily retired in Australia so I don't hink he has any chance :)

Speedy I think the Sports Betting section will be ok since horse racing is in essence a sport?
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 27th, 2013 at 7:15:51 PM permalink
Here is a link to the Wynn futures betting as well as some interesting prop bets.

http://www.viewfromvegas.com/uploads/2014_Derby-Wynn_11-18.pdf

The best bet has to be "Will any horse win the Triple Crown" at -850

Time to pick your favorite name and have some fun with it. I see there is a horse called "Vegas Strip". I know nothing about the nag but the name caught my eye.

My horse, Mexicoma is now available at 50 to 1
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
November 27th, 2013 at 7:24:35 PM permalink

Quote: beachbumbabs

Well Mexicoma ran 5th in the Breeders Cup Juvenile. He is live.
Um, Animal Kingdom won the Derby in 2011 and is now happily retired in Australia so I don't hink he has any chance :)

Speedy I think the Sports Betting section will be ok since horse racing is in essence a sport?

I read a funny article about horse racing in Australia by Andy Beyer a long time ago. He does well here in the US and decided to give Australia a shot and wrote about it. He ended up losing a lot. He said there was no pari-mutual betting, it was legal bookies at the track that took bets and either paid a fee to the track or the track got a cut. . The funny thing is they actually got into his head and made him question his bets. He would study the race and decide who to bet on. He would attempt to make a bet just as the bookie is changing the odds on his horse to longer odds. Now Beyer is questioning himself after seeing this and the bookie is chuckling.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: