FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 27th, 2013 at 4:28:47 PM permalink
PBS has background report on the industry of college football.

The new book, "The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football," offers a behind-the-scenes look at some of the costly -- and often unprofitable -- practices behind the sport, including extreme salaries for coaches and treating players like commodities. Jeffrey Brown talks to author Armen Keteyian.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
October 28th, 2013 at 12:56:14 AM permalink
I didnt read the book, but I do agree about players/ commodities comparison.

when I grew Up I was a fan of the NY knicks

the team consisted of

Bill Bradley...a Rhoades scholar.. later.to be senator, write books
Phil Jackson....VERY SMART, CEREBRAL.....WENT ON TO SET RECORDS IN COACHING
Willis Reid....another smart man later bacame executive of the nets
Dave Debucchere,,,,,FORMER COMMISIONER OF THE nbA
Walt Frazier...well spokeN, obviously educated ..eventually a long term color commentator for knicks..long before jocks got those jobs

tHese folks must have actually gone to classes. They knew how to string words together in order to make proper sentences. If they never became professional basketball players..they could have gotten through an interview and landed a decent job in the real world.

Now due to the big money involved..kids are pushed through highschool and college just so tht their talents on the court/field can be used. If they dont go on to the pros....good luck getting thriugh an nterview even with the bogus degree.

Do you think you will ever see again a conglomeration of very smart people like that on a basketball team???
  • Jump to: