duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
September 24th, 2013 at 9:52:05 PM permalink
Judging by the picks I have made to date in the WoV Picks Game this year, one might be surprised to learn that I am still alive in a suicide pool of around 300 participants. To be fair, the pool does allow for one re-buy in the first 4 weeks if your team gets knocked out (obviously changing the strategy a bit), so I took two teams which I felt would have a strong chance of winning in the first two weeks (Indianapolis & New England) and wanted to move to teams who are projected to have little value later in the season for weeks 3 and 4. Last week, I took the Vikings in seemingly one of the only useful spots to pick the Vikings, and they lost to Brian freaking Hoyer and the sad sack Browns.

Thus, my strategy has gone out the window for week 4 in picking an inferior team as I was forced to use my re-buy and now must pick winners from here on out. Does anyone have advice or resources on how to approach this scenario? Obviously I want to pick the best team each week, but might I want to save a team (i.e. Denver) this week in favor of another home favorite (i.e. New Orleans) in hopes that I can use Denver week 6 for their home matchup against the Jags?

I haven't played in suicide pools before, so I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants, but from an EV standpoint I felt that it was worth it to join this league. **Note, I may have erred by picking Indy and NE in weeks 1 and 2 from an EV standpoint as well. Obviously they won, but any input on that would be appreciated as well**

Specifics of the league include:
- Can only pick a team to win once
- Re-buy available through week 4 picks
- No handicap for home team, straight up final score on the scoreboard for all teams picked.

Any and all input is always appreciated.

-Duck
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
September 26th, 2013 at 10:51:02 AM permalink
I don't save teams. Having the Broncos avail in week 10 doesn't help you if you lost in week 4! Worry about making a hard pick with a less than awesome team later.

That being said, I'm taking NO this week as I used DEN last week.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 26th, 2013 at 10:54:18 AM permalink
Just pick whoever is playing the Jags every week until there's a repeat. Then pick another strong favorite.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
September 26th, 2013 at 11:11:18 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Just pick whoever is playing the Jags every week until there's a repeat. Then pick another strong favorite.

HAHAHA Yea, this would work
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
October 13th, 2013 at 8:49:24 AM permalink
I like suicide pools and where can I find them online. I am in Canada. Thanks first.
  • Jump to: