LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
August 13th, 2013 at 9:30:15 AM permalink
An interesting situation poped up on the patrick board. It seems someone paid 300 dollars for the yearly sports service and then supposedly sold the picks to his co-workers. This person supposedly goes to patrick and says he will cease to do this if patrick gives him 75 dollars for each "referal" who buys the sports service.
The thought over there is that selling or posting bought picks is unethical.Although it might not be illegal because once you buy the picks you supposedly own them.

Which brings my question

Once a pick is bought, does the customer own it to do what he wants with it?

There are sports services that charge 200 dollars or more just for a football weekend series of picks.

Can someone buy the picks and legally post it on the internet for free? or resell them for 10 percent of the price? Or like this guy offer the seller a "deal"

Could someone conceivably pay for lets say the 5 top sports services for football,for 200 dollars for a weekend(1000 total dollars spent)...Post the picks as a collection for a fee from the 5 services, and charge 40 dollars per person?

But then someone could spend the 40 dollars and repost it charging 10 dollars per person.

on and on
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 13th, 2013 at 11:43:29 AM permalink
The TOS of the site would dictate all of this.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2013 at 12:05:30 PM permalink
Hi LarryS, this is JP. I don't mind if you sell my sports picks.
Each day is better than the next
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 13th, 2013 at 1:06:34 PM permalink
Placing the words "Ethics" and "Handicapping Service" in the same sentence should be a crime in itself.

Its like saying Wayne Root, Handicapper and Vice Presidental candidate in the same sentence. Oh, nevermind, that actually did happen.
LarryS
LarryS
August 13th, 2013 at 10:35:04 PM permalink
patrick sells his picks via phone calls to a number he gives you. There is no website, No tos.

I know if you buy a book...it is copywrited and you cant make copies and sell it.

but i didnt know the legalities of sports picks

actually I bet 2k on every weekend at brick and morter venues in reno....and have only subscribed to a sports service for 6 months maybe 1 years ago. It was worthless.

It was cheap...just 200 dollars for 6 months....but it was absolutly PATHETIC.

so i learned how not to bet from that service......so it wasnt a total loss....a learning experience in fact

never paid for picks ever since
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
August 14th, 2013 at 5:22:21 AM permalink
Unless there's some copyright on opinions, you can share them with whoever you wish. I've never bought a pick, but I do use

teamrankings free service. I basically get the stats and make my own picks.

I've already made my base picks for my trip to Vegas based on the projected season win/loss totals. There's only 2 teams worthy of a bet at this point in my opinion. Highest project wins v Lowest projected wins. This changes as the season begins, but it's a base line for now.
Buffering...
LarryS
LarryS
August 14th, 2013 at 9:12:12 AM permalink
are you betting over/under total wins for the year?

I usually dont bet those..especially the over. Because if you bet the over and a team gets a rash of injuries, or a major injury to a QB.....they generally dont get a replacement of equal quality in the middle of the year.

For example SF has already had 2-3 significant injuries and the season hasnt really started yet. To me this is a team on the edge of being very good again..or dropping down to mediocre. Just one or 2 more injuries away.

With the under, I can see betting, since injuries just make the under more likely.

However for the bettor that just goes into vegas once a year or so, I guess this is the only bet you can make to give you action thrpugh out the entire year.
  • Jump to: