Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
March 21st, 2013 at 11:58:08 AM permalink
When filling out an NCAA bracket for an office pool, is it allowable to bring a team back in after elimination, in order to spread out point-gaining possibilities?

For example, following one branch down the line...
Round 1 pick to win: Michigan
Round 2 pick to win: Michigan
Round 3 pick to win: Duke
Round 4 pick to win: Michigan
Round 5 pick to win: Louisville
Round 6 pick to win: Michigan

The reasoning: Trying to glean a few extra points in case a certain team (Michigan in this example) doesn't go all the way.

Beyond the question of Is it acceptable, would filling a bracket like this be advantageous?
Could a well balanced, in-and-out strategy like this score more points than a decent, straight-up bracket?
Pool size will affect the answer; Assume a pool of 25, 50 or 100 players.
-Dween!
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 21st, 2013 at 12:31:27 PM permalink
I have never heard of anything like that. The closest thing I had to that was at an old job, we had 64 people enter what was termed a point spread pool. Each of the 64 participants were given 1 team at random (through picking out of a hat) and that was your team for the tournament. The cool thing was is that you could win with drawing the worst team in the tourney. For instance, if you drew North Carolina A & T which is a 26 point underdog to Louisville, and Louisville won the game by let's just say, 15 points, since North Carolina A & T would have won vs the spread, that person would overtake Louisville in the tournament.

Another cool pool is if you have a group of 8 people. Pick a draft position 1-8 and go on an S curve typical to fantasy football drafts. i.e. if you draft 1st, you draft overall last in the 2nd, and if draft 8th, you get the 9th pick etc. so each person will have 8 different picks. You assign a $ amount per game in the 63 game field ($1, $5, $10 etc). This amouint should be the same for each of the 63 games. When one of your drafted teams wins a game everyone in the pool owes you that amount of money, conversely when someone else has a team that wins you pay them the allotted amount. 8 wins will give you a payout of 1 unit. (8 wins * payments from 7 people = 56 units and you have to pay out of the other 55 games.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 21st, 2013 at 1:00:47 PM permalink
I would say it is not allowable and would make enemies of other players and the commissioner would put a price on your head.

Don't complicate a simple pool.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: