testman
testman
  • Threads: 1
November 11th, 2022 at 11:34:06 PM permalink
Hi, being studying the mechanism of a typical slot, while AD seems to be a perfect example to start with, I have some questions which weren't cleared by the article 'Deconstructing the Atkins Diet Slot Machine', I hope someone here would enlighten me a bit.

1. when the article says 'win in a row' does it refer to the symbols have to be lined up in the same row strictly or they can appear in any position from the left following the paylines, I would assume it is the latter case but the wording 'in a row' is rather conflicting and confusing.

2. how are 'Line Pay Combinations' calculated? I couldn't figure it out, e.g. 5 wilds in a row, wouldn't this be more than just 1 combination assuming a wild can appear on anywhere from the left on the reels in stead of being all lined up in the same row?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 12th, 2022 at 3:43:21 AM permalink
Link, for convenience:
https://wizardofodds.com/games/slots/atkins-diet/

I am pretty sure that "in a row" implies "left to right, along a payline".
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 12th, 2022 at 6:40:00 AM permalink
I can't believe they have an Atkins slot machine.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
November 12th, 2022 at 6:40:07 AM permalink
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
November 12th, 2022 at 6:44:43 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

It's not a real game. It's a demonstration game made up by the Wizard to illustrate the basic principles of slots and slot mathematics.
billryan
billryan
November 12th, 2022 at 7:44:56 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

Quote: billryan

link to original post

It's not a real game. It's a demonstration game made up by the Wizard to illustrate the basic principles of slots and slot mathematics.
link to original post

Thanks. That makes much more sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Dieter
November 12th, 2022 at 2:50:05 PM permalink
Quote: testman

1. when the article says 'win in a row' does it refer to the symbols have to be lined up in the same row strictly or they can appear in any position from the left following the paylines, I would assume it is the latter case but the wording 'in a row' is rather conflicting and confusing.

In means consecutively, starting with the reel on the left.

Quote:

2. how are 'Line Pay Combinations' calculated? I couldn't figure it out, e.g. 5 wilds in a row, wouldn't this be more than just 1 combination assuming a wild can appear on anywhere from the left on the reels in stead of being all lined up in the same row?
link to original post

5 in a row combinations = (winning combinations on reel 1) * (winning combinations on reel 2) * (winning combinations on reel 3) * (winning combinations on reel 4) * (winning combinations on reel 5)

4 in a row combinations = (winning combinations on reel 1) * (winning combinations on reel 2) * (winning combinations on reel 3) * (winning combinations on reel 4) * (losing combinations on reel 5)

3 in a row combinations = (winning combinations on reel 1) * (winning combinations on reel 2) * (winning combinations on reel 3) * (losing combinations on reel 4) * (all combinations on reel 5)
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
testman
testman
November 12th, 2022 at 4:42:53 PM permalink
Thanks for your reply, still not quite understanding what’s going on

Take 4 in a row combination for example, the table shows there are 28 combinations available but wouldn’t it be 31 instead?
So that’s 1 * 1 * 1 * 1 *31, 31 being 32 symbols minus 1 wild, where does 28 come from then?

Likewise for 3 in a row, wouldn’t it be like this
1 * 1 * 1 * 31 * 32?
But the table again shows 513 which is much less than the result above
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
November 12th, 2022 at 4:51:52 PM permalink
Quote: testman

Thanks for your reply, still not quite understanding what’s going on

Take 4 in a row combination for example, the table shows there are 28 combinations available but wouldn’t it be 31 instead?
So that’s 1 * 1 * 1 * 1 *31, 31 being 32 symbols minus 1 wild, where does 28 come from then?

Likewise for 3 in a row, wouldn’t it be like this
1 * 1 * 1 * 31 * 32?
But the table again shows 513 which is much less than the result above
link to original post

5 steaks pay more than 4 Atkins
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
testman
testman
November 12th, 2022 at 5:12:16 PM permalink
would you elaborate a bit more? I kind of see how it works on 4 in a row, but got lost in 3 in a row
  • Jump to: