beachmonkey
beachmonkey
  • Threads: 6
November 1st, 2017 at 8:42:38 PM permalink
I am thankful that so many people have watched at least one program about poker, be it a wsop or poker go tournament or any free online poker site. It is like a blessing of mana from heaven, all you have to do is listen to their bravado of misconceptions until they bust out in less than half an hour, on average.
They may as well get a tattoo of an atm on the forehead. I have been criticised at the table by the other full timers for being a vulture because I tend to play when the fresh meat is on the table. Would you stop bears fishing in Alaska? The fish just jump into the outstretched paw.
Yes there are very good players that have watched tv etc but they think about what they saw, they develop their skills, yes we all learned something somewhere. Thank god for the 80% that Do not bother to learn or even better still truly believe they are right and it was an unlucky hand. Ka Ching $$
Two or so days a week. Thanks.
Kind regards
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
beachmonkey
November 1st, 2017 at 9:14:35 PM permalink
Here is a truth that I have discovered: most TV poker shows concentrate on final tables with no more than 6 players. (Also, most online poker is at 6-player tables.) But, most real-life poker tables have 9, 10 or 11 players (whether its a cash game or tournament.) The play style is necessarily different with 10 players. Many casual, low-stakes poker players are influenced by TV and and play the type of weak opening hands that are more suitable for 6-player games.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
beachmonkey
beachmonkey
November 1st, 2017 at 10:02:43 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Here is a truth that I have discovered: most TV poker shows concentrate on final tables with no more than 6 players. (Also, most online poker is at 6-player tables.) But, most real-life poker tables have 9, 10 or 11 players (whether its a cash game or tournament.) The play style is necessarily different with 10 players. Many casual, low-stakes poker players are influenced by TV and and play the type of weak opening hands that are more suitable for 6-player games.

Shhhhhh do not tell the 80%.
As per low stakes being a barrier to intelligence I am actually playing higher stakes table, same dumbness = quick payout. I played lower stakes table at start. Found that I make 150/200$ a day on $200 buy in on average, thought higher stakes =better players, so after day sessions I would wait on rails of high stakes game. Watch watch etc. I noticed someone I had said hello to on a number of occasions etc got to chatting and was informed about higher returns at higher table.
Now I have found good returns @$1000/ 500 tables because people are snobs, they have high income, they believe they are great at the game and if they lose it is almost more rewarding for them to re buy in to show the table/their friends that they have cash.
I have also found that when an average player doubles their buy in ( with good play / some luck ? ) they actually get really loose and play any two cards.ie as seen on tv as they now are the big stack player. Respect ha ha. I love it when they say that word. A good time is usually had from that moment on.
Thank goodness thank god for tv.
Kind regards
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
November 2nd, 2017 at 7:35:06 AM permalink
Eh, that's just the 80% in general, show or not (in my opinion). I played poker to subsidize my way through college, and would have gone professional but I was fortunate enough to land a good "stable" job on my way out so I didn't. I've played at high levels and have a very good grasp of the game. I still used to enjoy watching the WSOP, side events, WPT, etc on TV. Doesn't make me an ATM! =)

Butttttt if they have no other exposure to poker the shows do lie to them. Since they only cover the final table and "bigger hands" there is constantly action (which you need on a TV show). They show the final table in a 1 hour show, but the final table might have taken 8-9 hours to play out.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 2nd, 2017 at 2:51:09 PM permalink
That's why I don't play live poker. My first exposure was at an eight person table and hands went quick. Last time I played, it was at an eleven player table and in two hours the best hand I got was something like J,8 suited. By the time it got to me , there were six players in and two raises. Cashed out and have not been back since. Too slow a pace for me.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachmonkey
beachmonkey
November 2nd, 2017 at 10:41:45 PM permalink
Have had days of 2/9,3/5 etc all day so yes can be slow, but I’ve seen many people implode because that drives them batshit crazy, they lose their buy in plus. I maintain the tight ship attitude and pul out after a couple of hundred down ie protect buy in because tomorrow is another day and that can be the day of exceptional profit.
I really do enjoy watching the poker on tv as that was my introduction into that game. We had an American guy who had won a major event in USA, write a book then somehow managed to be the commentator on a local show here called Celebrity Poker, ( I think) He explains the hand what needs to be done or not done off camera as the player fool around and play.
I can not remember his name but he showed that there was more to it than big pots , big chip leaders and bluffing, so Iam very grateful to that man for inspiring me to research the game, and learn to make a living from it. The show went for a couple of years, great insights it helped me to study the psychology of gambling, what was the triggers in myself, to control irregular play etc and to listen to other people at table. Many play as a release of some kind .
So thank god for tv. Thanks you all for reply enjoy you game of life.
Kind regards
  • Jump to: