jpprovance
jpprovance
  • Threads: 22
August 25th, 2010 at 12:18:55 AM permalink
I'm trying to develop this prop so a friend and i will play at a super low stake where we can afford to swing a massive number of bb either way and not go broke.

the original prop i thought of was choose super small stake maybe .02/.05 or .05/.10. multiply max buy in by 20 and first one to get there is the winner of the prop. it seems there is a hole in the prop because of someone playes 10k hands in the first day and gets there and i only played 1k hands id want to have the 9k remaining hands to get up to the target number. im not sure what woudl be fair. so should the prop be first one to get to the target with the ratio of earings to amount wagered? this obviously doesn't seem to make sense. i think you can see what im trying to do. can someone help me make this prop make sense.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 25th, 2010 at 4:22:07 PM permalink
To be fair, I think the prop has to be based on win/loss ratio after some measurement that is equal to all participants. In the situation you describe, that could be a certain period of time (x days with a minimum number of hands to qualify) or total hands (10k, etc.), but not both. As long as you both agree to the terms, it can be either, but I would suggest total hands. You can agree to a starting time to begin the count, so that you will both begin in the same condition.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
jpprovance
jpprovance
  • Threads: 22
August 25th, 2010 at 5:38:20 PM permalink
so i think im gonna go by x amount of hands. im still not sure if the bet should be setteled by profit or some ratio.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 30th, 2010 at 2:00:07 PM permalink
Quote: jpprovance

so i think im gonna go by x amount of hands. im still not sure if the bet should be setteled by profit or some ratio.

Profit would be easy to measure, and a sensible comparison (like the measure, "hits" in baseball). Ratios can be used, but seem to be a less important measure of performance. No batter goes to the plate thinking, "a hit here will raise my batting average to .289".

The goal in poker is not to win every pot, but to maximize the profit in each session. There are situations and strategies where laying down a winning hand is the "right" thing to do (e.g., to learn about other player's hands, or build a false sense of confidence in your opponents). These cases would hurt your "ratio", but serve to maximize your overall session profit.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
TheJacob
TheJacob
  • Threads: 3
September 7th, 2010 at 2:29:11 PM permalink
Why don't you both just play X thousand hands in a month or something and whoever wins the most wins.
  • Jump to: