Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 22nd, 2012 at 5:25:31 PM permalink
I finally got around to getting the Beyond Counting strategy cards. The one I was primarily interested in was for Ultimate Texas Hold Em. That is a very difficult game to create a strategy for that is both short, understandable, and powerful.

I'm quite sure that our own JB was the first to publish a strategy for the whole game. However, we were later outdone by the shorter and more powerful strategy at Discount Gambling. The DG strategy is short and claims a house edge of 2.3%. Compare that to the 2.185% of optimal. On the downside, I've always found it very cryptic and difficult to commit to memory.

Then James Grosjean, author of Beyond Counting, created a strategy card for the game. Last Friday I finally went down the LVA offices to get a copy. As an HP author, I'm entitled to one set for free.

I must say, I'm very impressed. The Beyond Counting strategy boils down the post-flop strategy to four bullet points, and after the river to five. Granted, these bullet points are still rather heavy, but more intuitive and easy to grasp than the Discount Gambling strategy. The house edge is about the same as that for the Discount Gambling strategy at 2.29%.

If you're not an HP author, the cost is $5.95. I believe shipping is free. Here is a link to order one.

I'd be proud to have a similar strategy on my site, but we're not going to do any better than the Grosjean strategy, so concede that we were outdone this time. If you play the game, the strategy card is a bargain at six bucks.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 22nd, 2012 at 5:30:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The DG strategy ...I've always found it very cryptic and difficult to commit to memory.

the jargon is heavy, unnecessary and off-putting

thanks for the tip
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
calwatch
calwatch
  • Threads: 13
April 23rd, 2012 at 12:36:17 AM permalink
Stephen is a frequent carny game player and probably comes from the poker world, so he uses poker terms. These are the same poker terms in any poker strategy books (nuts, scare board, etc.) and someone playing UTH who has significant experience playing real Holdem poker and has read a book or two on proper strategy would understand these terms. Generally I don't play carnival games but the variance is high so that's why the tourists like it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 23rd, 2012 at 6:05:45 AM permalink
Stephen's terminology was mostly new to me too. Grosjean's strategy is quite easy on the poker terms. Like "kicker" and "bottom pair."
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: