MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
January 21st, 2012 at 10:49:33 AM permalink
I'm interested in joining a weekly Euchre game among friends. I know how to play but cannot match the skill level of the other players. They play for $50; but when they get drunk, they play for $100 p/game. Before joining the group, I want to study the game. I'm looking for advice for any books, websites, and on-line games where I can learn/practice. Any suggestions?
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 21st, 2012 at 12:00:16 PM permalink
I've never met anybody under the age of 80 who knew the rules of Euchre.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 21st, 2012 at 12:12:42 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Really? It was hot when I was in highschool (1996-98). We'd skip class and have $5 games in the darkroom of the photo shop, usually 2-3 games going at a time. I don't know of websites or anything though, sorry.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
January 21st, 2012 at 1:15:02 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It's mostly a midwestern game. Still pretty big in the Great Lakes region. Lots of midwesterners living here in Florida, so I get a game going pretty regularly. I'm only 47.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 21st, 2012 at 1:16:17 PM permalink
I'm 57. We used to play A LOT. We played cutthroat, where you could steal the deal if you feel that your opponents weren't paying attention, or renege on purpose (2 points against if caught, 4 points against if caught on a lone hand).

My dad taught us. He played it at work on break, where they tried to get as many hands in as they could in 30 minutes, and 15 minutes on the odd breaks. We learned to play FAST. (It helped that my dad [84yrs old] is a Gold Life Master in duplicate bridge, he knows his way around the cards.)

My brother and I were damn good as a team. When we'd get in a groove we were almost unbeatable, it was like we knew where all the cards were. We won a lot of rounds of drinks, back in the day we almost never paid. But I haven't played in years.
A falling knife has no handle.
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
January 21st, 2012 at 1:16:58 PM permalink
Just be careful. Euchre is notoriously easy to cheat. Maybe this is what you mean by "skill level". Make sure the game is on the up and up, or don't play for significant amounts of money.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2012 at 1:21:04 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

Just be careful. Euchre is notoriously easy to cheat. Maybe this is what you mean by "skill level". Make sure the game is on the up and up, or don't play for significant amounts of money.

That's exactly right. We were posting concurrently, in our games cheating was understood, with rules pertaining to the cost of getting caught.

There's a HUGE advantage to stealing the deal, and it's easy to do with people who like to talk about the hand that just happened. Absentmindedly pick up the cards, shuffle, and offer the cut to the guy whose deal it is. He either cuts them and you deal (right after your partner dealt), or is wise to you and passes the cut to your partner on his right, then deals himself.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 21st, 2012 at 1:45:50 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
January 21st, 2012 at 2:23:35 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

That's exactly right. We were posting concurrently, in our games cheating was understood, with rules pertaining to the cost of getting caught.

There's a HUGE advantage to stealing the deal, and it's easy to do with people who like to talk about the hand that just happened. Absentmindedly pick up the cards, shuffle, and offer the cut to the guy whose deal it is. He either cuts them and you deal (right after your partner dealt), or is wise to you and passes the cut to your partner on his right, then deals himself.

I'm thinking more along the lines of partners who have signals worked out to let each other know what suits are strong and weak, or what suit to lead on a trick.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2012 at 2:48:48 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

I'm thinking more along the lines of partners who have signals worked out to let each other know what suits are strong and weak, or what suit to lead on a trick.

Wow, REAL cheating. That sucks, I never considered that.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
January 21st, 2012 at 2:54:25 PM permalink
It's only cheating if you get caught. LOL

PS calm down Dan It's a joke!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 21st, 2012 at 2:57:38 PM permalink
POGO.com Free to join. You will start in the 'beginners room'. As you get better your rating will increase and you will move up to play with better players. Lots of other games (chess, bridge, backgammon, etc..), too.
  • Jump to: