Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 22nd, 2011 at 9:45:17 PM permalink
It is that time of the year to make an easy small return on my Academy Award bets. In my several years of doing this the only bet I ever lost was on Brokeback Mountain to win best picture, which was upset by Crash. Here are my bets so far this year.

Bet Amt odds
Best picture -- King's Speech 200 -400
Best actor -- Colin Firth 1650 -3300
Best actress -- Natalie Portman 2230 -892
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 400 -800
Best adapted screenplay -- Social Network 1000 -2000
Best visual effects -- Inception 350 -700
Best animated movie -- Toy Story 3 1650 -3300
Best picture -- King's Speech 2260 -452
Best original screenplay -- King's Speech 857.5 -343
Best visual effects -- Inception 1775 -710
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 2342.5 -937
Best animated movie -- Toy Story 3 1335 -3505
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 950 -950
Best picture -- King's Speech 1187.5 -475
Best actor -- Colin Firth 3500 -3500
Best actress -- Natalie Portman 2375 -950
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 2000 -800
Best Animated Feature - Toy Story 3 4500 -4500
Original Screenplay - The King's Speech 500 -500
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Social Network 4500 -4500
Visual Effects - Inception 950 -950


For whatever reason, most of the time the winners are all but known in advance. For example, Colin Firth is just not going to lose for best actor. I hate to lay 45 to 1 on anything, but the reality is that it is an easy way to make 2.22% on your money in one night.

I plan to put more down later.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 22nd, 2011 at 9:57:55 PM permalink
You look to be good on those bets. You stayed away from the two very difficult categories of "supporting actress" and "best director".

The only one that seems even a little risky is "Natalie Portman", but she will probably win. I personally didn't think that was the best female performance this year.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28755
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 23rd, 2011 at 2:48:31 AM permalink
Colin Firth cannot lose. Its easy for an actor to deliver lines. Colin Firth made you believe he was in anguish over his stuttering, his facial expressions whole demeanor were right in character. Anybody who plays James Bond never wins anything for a reason.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 23rd, 2011 at 8:47:43 AM permalink
I see odds of -2000 for Colin Firth as best actor on sportsbook. Since you are in for worse odds then that, perhaps you could increase your bet.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
February 23rd, 2011 at 9:45:21 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

You look to be good on those bets. You stayed away from the two very difficult categories of "supporting actress" and "best director".

The only one that seems even a little risky is "Natalie Portman", but she will probably win. I personally didn't think that was the best female performance this year.



I was sold until I saw Winter's Bone. Jennifer Lawrence gave the best female performance last year. But no one saw the film.
A falling knife has no handle.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
February 23rd, 2011 at 10:40:19 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Colin Firth cannot lose. Its easy for an actor to deliver lines. Colin Firth made you believe he was in anguish over his stuttering, his facial expressions whole demeanor were right in character. Anybody who plays James Bond never wins anything for a reason.



Daniel Craig has won three awards for his role as James Bond (not a major one like an Oscar or the like). Sean Connery has an Oscar, 2 BAFTAS and 3 Golden Globes (mostly for the Name of the Rose and the Untouchables). Yeah, I looked them. I was pretty sure either of them would have won something in their careers.

Both are fine fine actors. The other four... not so much, though Pierce Brosnan has his moments.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 23rd, 2011 at 11:17:16 AM permalink
Hmmm, I didn't see Christian Bale in the "The Fighter", but I think Geoffrey Rush in "The King's Speech" did a better job Best Actor lock, Colin Firth.

Ballots were due yesterday, and the winners will not be announced until Sunday. The days in between open up some risk to the books from insiders. I think they lay the risk off with small caps on wagers, but what will they do if there is a strong swing from IP addresses in the Hollywood zip code?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28755
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 23rd, 2011 at 5:02:12 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Daniel Craig has won three awards for his role as James Bond (not a major one like an Oscar or the like)..



I never look at anything but Oscars, they don't mean anything.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
February 23rd, 2011 at 5:22:23 PM permalink
Well, Sean, the greatest ever milkman from Leith, won one of those little statuettes as well.

You should have said "no James Bond wins an Oscar", which is more quiet true. And who cares? James Bond franchise films are not about Oscar nominated performances, but instead cheesy British Action heroes. Turn off brain and place in box.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 4:46:58 PM permalink
I've been betting more. Here is my full list. Wish me luck.


Bet Amt odds
Best picture -- King's Speech 200 -400
Best actor -- Colin Firth 1650 -3300
Best actress -- Natalie Portman 2230 -892
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 400 -800
Best adapted screenplay -- Social Network 1000 -2000
Best visual effects -- Inception 350 -700
Best animated movie -- Toy Story 3 1650 -3300
Best picture -- King's Speech 2260 -452
Best original screenplay -- King's Speech 857.5 -343
Best visual effects -- Inception 1775 -710
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 2342.5 -937
Best animated movie -- Toy Story 3 1335 -3505
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 950 -950
Best picture -- King's Speech 1187.5 -475
Best actor -- Colin Firth 3500 -3500
Best actress -- Natalie Portman 2375 -950
Best supporiting actor -- Christian Bale 2000 -800
Best Animated Feature - Toy Story 3 4500 -4500
Original Screenplay - The King's Speech 500 -500
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Social Network 4500 -4500
Visual Effects - Inception 950 -950
Best Picture - The King's Speech 1250 -500
Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale - The Fighter 2000 -800
Best Original Screenplay - The King's Speech 600 -600
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Social Network 3500 -3500
Best Visual Effects - Inception 1300 -1300
Best Picture - The King's Speech 725 -290
Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale 1250 -500
Best Original Screenplay - The King's Speech 475 -475
Best Make Up - The Wolfman 400 -400
Best Cinematography - True Grit 275 -275
Best Film Editing - The Social Network 350 -350
Best Visual Effects - Inception 1400 -1400
Best Sound Editing - Inception 900 -1800
Best Sound Mixing - Inception 187.5 -375
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 966
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 6:16:58 PM permalink
You have balls Wiz and could never make those bets. 6:16 and by my calculations you are down $25 and counting
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 264
  • Posts: 4031
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 6:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Daniel Craig has won three awards for his role as James Bond (not a major one like an Oscar or the like). Sean Connery has an Oscar, 2 BAFTAS and 3 Golden Globes (mostly for the Name of the Rose and the Untouchables).

Both are fine fine actors. The other four... not so much, though Pierce Brosnan has his moments.



I liked Pierce Brosnan well enough in the Bond role, but I think Daniel Craig
and the directors who have cut down on the Roger Bore slapstick have
breathed some life back into the franchise. I assume there will be another
installment coming...
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 966
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 7:45:42 PM permalink
Just that one small miss so far amazing Wiz.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 8:51:57 PM permalink
That first award, for best cinematography, was my only loss. Here are the final results:

W/L: 34-1
Total bet: $51,125.00
Total win: $4,713.09
Pct. win: 9.22%

This is typical. Just bet the favorites and you pretty much can't go wrong.

Also, do NOT try to handicap the awards. I talked myself out of betting Melissa Leo for best supporting actress, Toy Story 3 for best song, and the King Speech for best direction, because I thought other movies were more or equally deserving. All three of those won.

It just goes to show that most winners are known in advance via the Hollywood buzz. Don't question why, just go with the flow.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 27th, 2011 at 10:14:54 PM permalink
Best animated Feature Toy Story 3 $21,635.00 $588.09 2.72% 2.51%
Best actor Colin Firth 2.91%
Best adapted screenplay Social Network 2.78%
Best visual Effects Inception $27,377.50 $4,100.00 14.98% 10.39%
Best actress Natalie Portman 10.86%
Best supporiting actor Christian Bale 12.86%
Best original screenplay King's Speech 22.61%
Best picture King's Speech 23.12%
Best Sound Editing Inception $2,112.50 $25.00 1.18% 5.56%
Best Sound Mixing Inception 26.67%
Best Make Up The Wolfman 25.00%
Best Film Editing The Social Network 28.57%
Best Cinematography True Grit -100.00%
$51,125.00 $4,713.09 9.22% 9.81%



I am curious how your mind works at the end of the day. Are you sorry you put over $20K on low return ultra sure bets? Would you do it differently?

The riskiest bet that you made was on Natalie Portman IMHO. Many critics were saying that her performance, while still good, was not the best of the group, but the other four women were all in very small pictures with tiny production budgets that were completely shut out. As a result Natalie was predicted to win.

Do you get nervous when her category was being called? Or are you so used to betting that you don't get nervous?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 27th, 2011 at 10:41:07 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The riskiest bet that you made was on Natalie Portman IMHO. Many critics were saying that her performance, while still good, was not the best of the group, but the other four women were all in very small pictures with tiny production budgets that were completely shut out. As a result Natalie was predicted to win.

Do you get nervous when her category was being called? Or are you so used to betting that you don't get nervous?



My father said the same thing. Personally I saw zero of the movies represented for best actress. However, I thought Natalie would win, not because of Black Swan, but more for her body of work up to that point. In other words, it was an "overdue" award. So, no, I was not very worried about that one.

The one that gave me so much pause I didn't bet it was Melissa Leo for supporting actress. I thought Hailee Steinfeld was much more deserving. As I wrote before, never listen to your gut when it comes to the Oscars, just bet every big favorite. Somebody please quote that back to me next year.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 27th, 2011 at 11:02:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My father said the same thing. Personally I saw zero of the movies represented for best actress. However, I thought Natalie would win, not because of Black Swan, but more for her body of work up to that point. In other words, it was an "overdue" award.



Well both Annette Bening (age 52) and Natalie Portman (age 30) each had 20 movies, and Annette was on her 4th nomination over 2 decades, while Natalie was on her 2nd (over last 6 years). Both had a mix of well reviewed movies and lousy ones. So you really can argue that Annette Benning falls more into the overdue category.

Maybe the one with the hot sexy lesbian scene wins over the one with the mature lesbian scenes.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 12261
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
February 27th, 2011 at 11:22:39 PM permalink
I believe Portman's movie had bigger popular buzz which probably helped. Also, I think movies where actors are actually physically taxed in the role (as opposed to simulated) probably picks up some good will or sympathy votes.
(guessing, guessing)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 6:38:33 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I believe Portman's movie had bigger popular buzz which probably helped. Also, I think movies where actors are actually physically taxed in the role (as opposed to simulated) probably picks up some good will or sympathy votes.
(guessing, guessing)



I agree 100%.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 6:48:13 AM permalink
Paco, do recall the Oscars are a popularity contest.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 28th, 2011 at 7:33:53 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Paco, do recall the Oscars are a popularity contest.


I realize that Natalie Portman is popular, and she's been acting in movies since she was age 11, and that she is having a baby. But Annette Bening is very popular also.

The real amazing success story was David Seidler, who was a real life stutterer. Age 73 and only having a handful of movies made in his whole career. He was working on the screenplay for the "King's Speech" for about 25-30 years. And he wins an Oscar.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 7:47:11 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I realize that Natalie Portman is popular, and she's been acting in movies since she was age 11, and that she is having a baby. But Annette Bening is very popular also.



Not as popular, apparently. How much do you figure youth matters?

BTW a 9+% return on investment is extremely good. Perhaps not what we're used to in prop bets, but better than any other option I can think of (if you can discount the bridge-jumping factor)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
  • Posts: 9594
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 8:37:58 AM permalink
congratulations btw !

no bet on best actor?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 28th, 2011 at 9:02:08 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

congratulations btw !

no bet on best actor?



The Wizard put $5150 on Colin Firth for best actor and won $150.

The three "super sure" choices were:
Best animated Feature
Best actor
Best adapted screenplay

But he had to bet more than $21K to win less than $600.

He didn't bet on the "best director" or the "best supporting actress" because he felt conflicted.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 10:28:39 AM permalink
Congratulations Wizard! I wonder about the present value of the cash to the book. How quick can you access the cash? Are there fees that eat into your win? I always think the online books are quick to get the money from punters, but slow to deliver actual winnings. Even if an account is credited overnight, to actually "cash the ticket", can take several days, if not weeks. In the meantime, I assume the book is picking up a bit of interest on your pile of cash.

On another topic, does the Academy ever release the actual vote totals? It would be interesting to know the margins of victory.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 10:34:40 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

On another topic, does the Academy ever release the actual vote totals? It would be interesting to know the margins of victory.



It would be even more interesting to see how a nominee wins. I mean, whether they need 50.01% of the vote, or merely a simple plurality. I'm inclined for the latter.

I don't think they release that infomration, though.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 28th, 2011 at 10:42:40 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba


On another topic, does the Academy ever release the actual vote totals? It would be interesting to know the margins of victory.



Two Price Waterhouse men are the only two inside the entire organization who know all the final tallies select the card that reflects the actual winner and destroy the rest. There is no permanent record kept, so the tallies cannot be released even 30 years after the fact.

The feeling has always been that it would cheapen the award if someone found out they won by a single vote. I wonder if the 5,755 are all qualified to vote for all of the awards? Do they actually watch all 38 movies? I only saw 8 of them this year.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 10:52:33 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The feeling has always been that it would cheapen the award if someone found out they won by a single vote. I wonder if the 5,755 are all qualified to vote for all of the awards? Do they actually watch all 38 movies? I only saw 8 of them this year.



What i know is that the ballot contains all the award categories (except the life achievement and other special awards). So regardless of whether they're qualified to vote or not, they can do so. I don't suppose many ever see the foreign language films, short subjects, documentaries and such.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 11:03:06 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Two Price Waterhouse men are the only two inside the entire organization who know all the final tallies select the card that reflects the actual winner and destroy the rest. There is no permanent record kept, so the tallies cannot be released even 30 years after the fact.

The feeling has always been that it would cheapen the award if someone found out they won by a single vote. I wonder if the 5,755 are all qualified to vote for all of the awards? Do they actually watch all 38 movies? I only saw 8 of them this year.



I know that certain categories are only voted on by those in the same field. This makes the award significant, as it is recognition by your peers. However, the "Best Picture" award, and maybe the four "Best Actor/Supporting Actor" awards, are open to all members of the Academy.

*Correction*-- According to the Academy website, it is the nominations that are restricted to members in certain disciplines. The voting for most categories is open all members:

Quote: Academy Awards website


The Nominations Process
Nomination ballots are mailed to the Academy’s active members in late December and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers, an international accounting firm, in January.

Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in up to 25 categories. Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees.

All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees.

The results of nomination balloting are announced at a 5:30 a.m. (PT) press conference the third week of January at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

Final Balloting Process
Final ballots are mailed to voting members in late-January and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers the Tuesday prior to Oscar Sunday for final tabulation.

The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.

After final ballots are tabulated, only two partners of PricewaterhouseCoopers know the results until the famous envelopes are opened onstage during the Academy Awards presentation.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 11:25:21 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Congratulations Wizard! I wonder about the present value of the cash to the book. How quick can you access the cash? Are there fees that eat into your win? I always think the online books are quick to get the money from punters, but slow to deliver actual winnings. Even if an account is credited overnight, to actually "cash the ticket", can take several days, if not weeks. In the meantime, I assume the book is picking up a bit of interest on your pile of cash.



Thanks! I had those funds in my accounts anyway, mainly for use in sports betting. I would not have bothered to make deposits just for the Academy Awards. Let the books have their interest on my money. What could I get on it safely here, 0.5%?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
February 28th, 2011 at 11:35:09 AM permalink
When you do your sports betting, do you ever bet on + money options?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 28th, 2011 at 12:17:53 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

When you do your sports betting, do you ever bet on + money options?



Almost exclusively.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 6229
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
January 5th, 2021 at 10:01:41 AM permalink
2021 Academy Awards Best Picture
Prediction
The Oscar goes to
Nomadland
Best Director
Chloe Zhao

I'm moving to Quartzite next week for the RTR ( Rubber Tramp Rendezvous) where parts of Nomadland was filmed. Cant wait to leave Vegas

Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 6333
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
January 5th, 2021 at 10:29:20 AM permalink
A couple of new rules this year:

First, the eligibility period runs from 1/1/2020 through 2/28/2021, instead of ending on 12/31/2020. I am not sure when the nominations will be announced; the awards ceremony is currently scheduled for 4/25.

Second, the required seven consecutive day screening can be in any of the following locations, instead of just Los Angeles County:
Los Angeles County, California
New York City (any of the five boroughs - there was a time when Manhattan was the only accepted alternative to LA)
Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo Counties, California (note Santa Clara county, which includes San Jose, is NOT acceptable)
Cook County, Illinois
Miami-Dade County, Florida
Fulton County, Georgia
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6537
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
March 27th, 2022 at 7:51:37 PM permalink
Holy crap. Will Smith just ran on stage and assaulted Chris Rock after Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett’s bald head (she has alopecia).

Destined to be one of the most remembered moments in Oscar history:

https://twitter.com/theplaylistnews/status/1508271778891714562?s=21&t=3kqdaljcrAXCKbubhoxqCQ
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11053
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
March 27th, 2022 at 7:57:55 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Holy crap. Will Smith just ran on stage and assaulted Chris Rock after Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett’s bald head (she has alopecia).

Destined to be one of the most remembered moments in Oscar history:

https://twitter.com/theplaylistnews/status/1508271778891714562?s=21&t=3kqdaljcrAXCKbubhoxqCQ
link to original post



Because he’s a role model….. I think he committed an assault in front of hundreds of live witnesses and millions around the world…. and returned to his seat….
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 116
  • Posts: 4864
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
March 27th, 2022 at 8:33:23 PM permalink
Memes be generating
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
March 27th, 2022 at 9:07:27 PM permalink
I had to look up the incident. Here is an uncensored version.

My compliments to Chris Rock for handling it with class and humor.

I was watching later in the show when Smith gave his acceptance speech. What caught my attention was Venus Williams' dress. A generic Oscars logo kept cutting in and out, I suppose covering the best parts, but there was still some overexposure shown.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 6333
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
March 27th, 2022 at 9:30:58 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I had to look up the incident. Here is an uncensored version.

My compliments to Chris Rock for handling it with class and humor.

I was watching later in the show when Smith gave his acceptance speech. What caught my attention was Venus Williams' dress. A generic Oscars logo kept cutting in and out, I suppose covering the best parts, but there was still some overexposure shown.
link to original post


The first time the Oscars static screen appeared, it was to cover up spit coming out of Smith's mouth; he mentioned it in his speech.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2687
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
March 28th, 2022 at 9:33:30 AM permalink
I was watching the Oscars last night but not very closely. I assumed the punching incident was a just staged joke at the time, but now learning otherwise especially after seeing the unedited version.

I'd like to watch the full censored version again but I can only find the uncensored one

Can one of our broadcasting gurus explain how live TV works? I've heard it's on a 5 second delay so they can cut things out if necessary
It’s all about making that GTA
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 12261
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
March 28th, 2022 at 9:43:25 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I was watching the Oscars last night but not very closely. I assumed the punching incident was a just staged joke at the time, but now learning otherwise especially after seeing the unedited version
link to original post



I think a skit writer probably would have had Chris Rock hold his cheek. Like so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZvUeAdzeI
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
  • Posts: 8158
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
March 28th, 2022 at 9:45:08 AM permalink
Was Will Smith drunk, desperate, or what?

Such a stupid, hopefully career-killing move.

Me, I'd sue for assault.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 12261
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Thanked by
TDVegas
March 28th, 2022 at 10:07:09 AM permalink
On a scale of 1-10, I can't rate Alopecia very high as a disability, particularly compared to a lot of other things.

Quote:

Hair loss (alopecia) can affect just your scalp or your entire body, and it can be temporary or permanent. It can be the result of heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions or a normal part of aging. Anyone can lose hair on their head, but it's more common in men.



Will Smith laughed at first, but I think his wife gave him dagger eyes and he flipped. Maybe if she had it in relation to cancer treatment. But women take hair loss pretty hard on average I guess.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 12261
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
March 28th, 2022 at 10:10:01 AM permalink
Would you reject a date with a beautiful woman with a bald head? Or would that be an attraction killer?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
March 28th, 2022 at 10:31:56 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Would you reject a date with a beautiful woman with a bald head? Or would that be an attraction killer?
link to original post



I went to college with Carol Alt. She was in our ROTC program and expressed an interest in the Pershing Rifles. When she discovered that shaving your head was required for the Pledge Field Training Exercise she found herself busy that weekend.
At the time, we were all male, but eventually, they began admitting women and head shaving was the first thing to go.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2687
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
March 28th, 2022 at 10:35:03 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

On a scale of 1-10, I can't rate Alopecia very high as a disability, particularly compared to a lot of other things.

Quote:

Hair loss (alopecia) can affect just your scalp or your entire body, and it can be temporary or permanent. It can be the result of heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions or a normal part of aging. Anyone can lose hair on their head, but it's more common in men.



Will Smith laughed at first, but I think his wife gave him dagger eyes and he flipped. Maybe if she had it in relation to cancer treatment. But women take hair loss pretty hard on average I guess.
link to original post

Hair loss from any cause, even chemo, is traumatic for most women. Ironically, many of them used to like making fun of bald guys
It’s all about making that GTA
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
  • Posts: 26544
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
March 28th, 2022 at 11:31:51 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The first time the Oscars static screen appeared, it was to cover up spit coming out of Smith's mouth; he mentioned it in his speech.
link to original post



What is your source this was the reason for the static screen? I still think the nip-slip sounds like the more plausible reason, although they did a bad job of timing it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 6333
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
March 28th, 2022 at 11:35:35 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: ThatDonGuy

The first time the Oscars static screen appeared, it was to cover up spit coming out of Smith's mouth; he mentioned it in his speech.
link to original post



What is your source this was the reason for the static screen? I still think the nip-slip sounds like the more plausible reason, although they did a bad job of timing it.
link to original post


While the static screen replaced the video, they kept the audio going, and he mentioned it on the air. I can't say for certain that it was the only reason for the screen.

Edit: here is an ABC video of the speech, with the static screen, which first appears at the 3:21 mark. He makes the spit comment two seconds later, but the "nip slip" may have had something to do with it, especially after they removed the screen briefly and then put it back up; at 3:30, you can see Venus with her hand holding her dress up over her left nipple.
Last edited by: ThatDonGuy on Mar 28, 2022
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1186
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
March 28th, 2022 at 12:16:13 PM permalink
The joke was in poor taste…but c’mon, you can’t go assaulting someone. He even laughed at first, which kind of told you that it wasn’t in the realm of a stage 4 cancer joke.

He should have been arrested. Instead he was feted with an award.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 6333
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
March 28th, 2022 at 12:51:15 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

He should have been arrested. Instead he was feted with an award.
link to original post


Not only that, but almost certainly Smith will be invited back next year, to present (Leading Role) Actress. Whether or not Rock appears again in the near future may depend on how the academy feels about people saying, "And the Winner Is."
  • Jump to: