MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
September 10th, 2022 at 8:32:40 AM permalink
The Texas and Alabama governors made a bet on a college football game, with the payout being either BBQ or beer.

The reporting about this completely missed that the Texas governor's bet is plainly illegal under Texas law. The law states that a bet is "an agreement to win or lose something of value solely or partially by chance" (with some exceptions). It doesn't matter that he's betting an item rather than money.

However, Texas is one of the few states where jail is not possible for gambling. The maximum penalty is a $500 fine, as per my table of state-by-state penalties for gambling. Alabama is one of the rarer states that doesn't prohibit gambling at all.

Discuss.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 10th, 2022 at 9:19:02 AM permalink
I'm assuming there's a short list of states that have legalized online gambling, such as NJ & PA and a couple others. VPN's are disallowed at gambling sites.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
September 10th, 2022 at 9:21:35 AM permalink
Yes, the legal online-gambling states are all listed on my site. However, the governor's bet is not an online-gambling thing. Almost no state has a prohibition against online gambling specifically; rather, there's a blanket prohibition against *gambling*, which applies equally to online and offline.

And even in states which have legalized online gambling, it's legal only if you play at one of the approved operators.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 10th, 2022 at 9:28:03 AM permalink
Unless you’re running a regular illegal gambling business, I thought most states don’t bother with personal betting offenses?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
September 10th, 2022 at 9:30:56 AM permalink
Anyway, I know occasionally some outfit will publish weird laws in many states still on the books, that are never enforced.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
September 10th, 2022 at 9:34:24 AM permalink
Superbowl betting is illegal in California along with other sports betting. But the Los Angeles Times over the years has reported on the Superbowl betting pool (they do squares) at the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

California governors and mayors typically make bets with their counterparts over championship games.

I know that this forum and other Internet forums are famous for nitpicking...

But get real.

The reality is you can have a poker game on Thursday nights in your home and you're not going to get busted.

Lighten up guys. Big brother ain't watching that closely.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
Thanked by
camapl
September 10th, 2022 at 9:55:52 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

The Texas and Alabama governors made a bet on a college football game, with the payout being either BBQ or beer.

The reporting about this completely missed that the Texas governor's bet is plainly illegal under Texas law. The law states that a bet is "an agreement to win or lose something of value solely or partially by chance" (with some exceptions). It doesn't matter that he's betting an item rather than money.

However, Texas is one of the few states where jail is not possible for gambling. The maximum penalty is a $500 fine, as per my table of state-by-state penalties for gambling. Alabama is one of the rarer states that doesn't prohibit gambling at all.

Discuss.
link to original post

The governor could pardon himself.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
September 10th, 2022 at 10:41:19 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I'm assuming there's a short list of states that have legalized online gambling, such as NJ & PA and a couple others.

Yeah, all on my site that I linked to. I'm guessing you didn't click through to read what I referred to.

Quote: rxwine

Unless you’re running a regular illegal gambling business, I thought most states don’t bother with personal betting offenses?

Yeah, all on my site that I linked to. I'm guessing you didn't click through to read what I referred to.

Quote: AlanMendelson

I know that this forum and other Internet forums are famous for nitpicking... But get real. The reality is you can have a poker game on Thursday nights in your home and you're not going to get busted. Lighten up guys. Big brother ain't watching that closely. link to original post

I think you've missed the point. The point is, the governor of a state blatantly and publicly broke his own state law. How can his citizens be expected to follow state law when he doesn't?
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
September 10th, 2022 at 11:02:13 AM permalink

Quote: ChumpChange

I'm assuming there's a short list of states that have legalized online gambling, such as NJ & PA and a couple others.

Quote: AlanMendelson

I know that this forum and other Internet forums are famous for nitpicking... But get real. The reality is you can have a poker game on Thursday nights in your home and you're not going to get busted. Lighten up guys. Big brother ain't watching that closely. link to original post

I think you've missed the point. The point is, the governor of a state blatantly and publicly broke his own state law. How can his citizens be expected to follow state law when he doesn't?
link to original post

If you insist on being pedantic about it, then you need to say, “please click through my site before discussing”.

All you requested was “Discuss.”
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
September 10th, 2022 at 12:08:46 PM permalink

If you insist on being pedantic about it, then you need to say, “please click through my site before discussing”.

All you requested was “Discuss.”
link to original post

Okay then, for those who need it spelled out, lots more info is available on my site about U.S. gambling laws in general and state-by-state penalties.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
SOOPOOMukke
September 10th, 2022 at 1:31:52 PM permalink

Maybe that is because the reporting understands the spirit of the law is about a bookie accepting bets and not a friendly wager.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
September 10th, 2022 at 2:18:12 PM permalink
As I said the Governor and mayors of California make these bets whenever there's a championship.

Send them an email.

I'd love to read the response.

Send an email to the LA County District Attorney's office. They have a spokesman who will respond.
  • Jump to: