bahdbwoy
bahdbwoy
  • Threads: 14
July 16th, 2019 at 4:39:28 AM permalink
When I was a kid we grew up playing Hearts on holidays, etc. with my pops and uncles and the little Italian grandma (who taught me gin).

We would play 5, 10 or 25c per point which is where I think I got the gambling itch from..

Looking to teach my boys but not sure how. . I don't even remember how I learned-- prob just watching.

Wondering if someone has ever come up with optimal strategy or anything like that. At least around passing.
- eg dealt 6 and Q should you pass or keep her
- minimum criteria to try and run the deck
- etc

I still remember the first time I ran the deck :)

When is the last time any of you have played?

Thanks
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 16th, 2019 at 8:12:50 AM permalink
I play on-line sometimes, and occasionally with family.

Passing.
1.Obviously, pass high cards. Sometimes the highest card in each of these suits (hearts, diamonds and clubs) is the best play. You do not not want to be stuck at the end of hand with all high cards and winning the last 6 or 7 tricks. You do want to prevent the person you are passing to from being void in a suit and dumping the Queen of spades on you.

2. Whether to pass the queen of spades (when you are dealt it) depends upon which direction you are passing. Passing it to the left is bad -you should almost never do that. Passing the Qs to the right is great -you know where it is and can play the King/Ace of spades safely when you see that your RH opponent hasn't played the Ace.

3. Look to go void in Clubs and Diamonds or reduce to a low number of cards in at least one of those suits.

4. If you have high hearts without one or two low hearts, then consider passing high hearts. With several low hearts cards you are unlikely to take any tricks with your high hearts cards, so instead pass bad cards from other suits.

5. If I am dealt a spades suit containing only the 6s,As I will usually not pass the Ace of spades, because I will need it if I am passed the Queen of Spades. If I am not passed the Queen of Spades, I can usually play the Ace of Spades safely or discard it when I am out of cards in a suit that is has been led (I.e., clubs and diamonds.)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: