Poll

3 votes (60%)
2 votes (40%)

5 members have voted

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 17th, 2010 at 7:54:31 PM permalink
I was playing Pai Gow Poker at Canterbury Park (Shakopee, MN) this evening, and I received the following hand: AA76532. After conferring with the dealer and another player, I set the hand as A7532/A6. What would you do in this situation? What is the correct play?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 17th, 2010 at 8:02:59 PM permalink
Ooooh, my 100th post. And it's on Pai Gow Poker, how fitting.

If you look at the Wizard's Pai Gow Poker rankings, you definitely should play the pair of Aces together.

If you saw that the other 3 aces were out, I don't think it's a terrible play. Without knowing where the other 3 aces are, I'd keep my pair. Actually, even if I did know, I probably am keeping my aces together.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
August 17th, 2010 at 8:04:26 PM permalink
I'm sure the odds say that it is better to hold the pair together; however, I agree with the dealer on this one. While you will lose to a split two pair, you nearly can't win on 76 low.

As a personal rule, I split aces when I have 9 or less as my next card.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 17th, 2010 at 8:39:03 PM permalink
Oh, NOOOooooo!!!!

I must issue a Pai Gow Poker FELONY Alert here!!! This is up there with splitting 10's in BJ!!!

May I PLEASE do the Power rankings of the two ways of setting this hand:

xx/AAxxx = 0 to 10% "useless top," - but with a 67% bottom as a "stopper"
Ax/Axxxx = 49% decent "ace-low" top, but with a poor 16% bottom. (Using Stanford Wong's power rankings.)

If you've got a "losing" hand in Pai Gow (a negative EV), you must set your hand as the strongest hand possible.
The goal here is not to win - it is to prevent a loss!

Please note than any ONE Pair with an ace top will generally beat split aces, i.e., A-10/22xxx, along with two pairs (split - or with a good ace top), a split full house, etc.

The risk is in facing a flush, trips, or a straight with a crap Jx or so top.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
  • Jump to: