coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 7th, 2015 at 7:53:10 AM permalink
The quick version: the game is changing from 5/59 + 1/35 to 5/69 + 1/26.

Also remember that, if you play in California, there are no fixed prizes; under California law, each prize except the jackpot is based on a fraction of the number of tickets bought in California and divided equally among all tickets in California that won at that level.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 7th, 2015 at 10:17:50 AM permalink
This isn't terribly surprising. Lower jackpot odds will drive up the average jackpot size. The biggest sales are easily when the jackpots are huge.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 7th, 2015 at 11:31:41 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

This isn't terribly surprising. Lower jackpot odds will drive up the average jackpot size. The biggest sales are easily when the jackpots are huge.

It also increases the probability of a sole jackpot winner as opposed to having to split the jackpot. It's not really considered a "record jackpot" if it's split between a number of people.

Then again, you don't want to make it so hard that pretty much nobody wins. I still think that Powerball should put a cap of, say, $100 million on any single ticket win, with any excess going back into the jackpot pool. (That's not a cap on the jackpot, mind you; if there's a $150 million jackpot split between two tickets, each gets the full $75 million, but if there's only one winner, the winner gets "only" $100 million and the next draw starts $50 million higher than it normally does.)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 7th, 2015 at 3:09:02 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I still think that Powerball should put a cap of, say, $100 million on any single ticket win, with any excess going back into the jackpot pool.

Only $9100/day* for 30 years? That's barely enough to keep a fellow in new Miatas, much less sports cars. Who is going to buy a ticket if that's all they can win? ;)

*Before taxes, and the annuity payout option.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 7th, 2015 at 3:23:39 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

It also increases the probability of a sole jackpot winner as opposed to having to split the jackpot. It's not really considered a "record jackpot" if it's split between a number of people.

Then again, you don't want to make it so hard that pretty much nobody wins. I still think that Powerball should put a cap of, say, $100 million on any single ticket win, with any excess going back into the jackpot pool. (That's not a cap on the jackpot, mind you; if there's a $150 million jackpot split between two tickets, each gets the full $75 million, but if there's only one winner, the winner gets "only" $100 million and the next draw starts $50 million higher than it normally does.)

I like the idea but I would do it a little different. Something we have done on large progressive slot machine jackpots is to lower the increment rate of the jackpot and put the difference back into a reserve fund that gets added to the starting value of the next jackpot. For example if 2.5% of the buy-in normally goes to the jackpot meter we may lower it to 1.5% when the jackpot gets to $10 million and put 1% of the buy-in to a hidden reset meter. That way when the jackpot hits instead of resetting to $1 million it could be a larger starting value. If the lottery did that they could make the jackpot only go up half as fast when it gets to a number like $200 million and have the next jackpot starting over $100 million instead of the typical reset amount.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
July 7th, 2015 at 3:38:40 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Only $9100/day* for 30 years? That's barely enough to keep a fellow in new Miatas, much less sports cars. Who is going to buy a ticket if that's all they can win? ;)

I was just thinking the same thing. Poor old me has to settle for an USED (yuck) miata everyday. I blame Obama.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 7th, 2015 at 3:55:49 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Quote: Dieter

I was just thinking the same thing. Poor old me has to settle for an USED (yuck) miata everyday. I blame Obama.

Yours is the ONLY Miata in which I have ridden. So it has that going for it. lol...squish! Get your foot out of my eye!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
surrender88s
surrender88s
  • Threads: 20
July 7th, 2015 at 4:42:47 PM permalink
I like DRich's idea. This one and mega millions are silly because a jackpot of $300mm one week can become $20mm the next. They love the hype and the frenzy of huge jackpots, but they live and die by that, because they may lose regular customers, and go long periods of time without people playing as much.
"Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1." -Warren Buffett on risk/return
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 7th, 2015 at 4:58:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I like the idea but I would do it a little different. Something we have done on large progressive slot machine jackpots is to lower the increment rate of the jackpot and put the difference back into a reserve fund that gets added to the starting value of the next jackpot. For example if 2.5% of the buy-in normally goes to the jackpot meter we may lower it to 1.5% when the jackpot gets to $10 million and put 1% of the buy-in to a hidden reset meter. That way when the jackpot hits instead of resetting to $1 million it could be a larger starting value. If the lottery did that they could make the jackpot only go up half as fast when it gets to a number like $200 million and have the next jackpot starting over $100 million instead of the typical reset amount.

The only problem I have with doing it this way is, it lowers the final amounts if there are multiple winners. Of course, my method would do that as well if it turned out that each winner would have received over $100 million normally, but I think the "full" jackpot needs to be paid out if each individual win isn't too high.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 8th, 2015 at 5:26:43 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

USED (yuck)

"Preowned"?
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: