Thanked by
TigerWudarkoz
August 6th, 2024 at 1:20:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: darkoz

Quote: gordonm888

This is an election odds thread. Please stay on topic. The current conversation is approaching the level of actionable hijacking. I particularly don't want another MDawg/terapined fight to emerge here.
link to original post

Perfect! Case closed!

As far as betting odds, I expect Kamala will rise with the strategic choice of Walz and the Midwest states he brings to the tables.

Nonetheless this election won't be a simple waltz (sorry couldn't resist the joke)
link to original post

All that does is balance Trump's midwest pick. I do not see it affecting odds much there.
link to original post

I never heard of the guy Trump picked and I sure as heck never heard of this new Dem pick. If I've never heard of them I guarantee 95% of the country has never heard of them. I never heard of the guy Trump picked last time to be VP.
link to original post

I was off on the 95%, actually 71% of never heard of him.

:"The poll found that only 17 percent of Americans view Walz favorably, while 12 percent view him unfavorably. The 17 and 12 percent marks appear to be so low because many Americans (71 percent) "

This is actually the first picture I've seen of him. If I was a minority living in the south what are the first thoughts that go through my head when I see this picture. They were my first thoughts, and I'm not even a minority. LOL

link to original post

EB back with the political posts.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1505
August 6th, 2024 at 4:35:00 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Very big of you to admit that you are among the uninformed.
link to original post

Personal insult, hijacking -- Three days.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
ams288smoothgrh
August 6th, 2024 at 5:06:12 PM permalink
Today I made two bets on Harris. One was against a friend, betting $1050 to win $1000.

I also made my first deposit, for $500, to PredictIt. I had to send them pictures of my drivers license and myself, which their system made very easy to do. My method of deposit was by credit card. The entire process was surprisingly simple and fast.

I then purchased 500 shares of the Democratic party at $0.55 per share. That means that if they win, I get $500. It presumes a 55% chance of it winning and is equivalent to laying -122.

It should be noted there is a 5% transaction fee on withdrawals.

I should also let the record show that on 2/23/24 I bet $500 at +105 on Biden against all other outcomes. Clearly, I lost that one.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 7th, 2024 at 6:25:38 AM permalink
Electionbettingodds.com has Harris almost caught up to Trump. This is the closest they've had the Dem candidate to Trump since April when Biden was ahead for almost the entire month.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 243
August 7th, 2024 at 6:34:08 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Electionbettingodds.com has Harris almost caught up to Trump. This is the closest they've had the Dem candidate to Trump since April when Biden was ahead for almost the entire month.

link to original post

Honeymoon period. She as not said anything in a week. Her Veep pick has some radical background that will eat into this.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 7th, 2024 at 7:09:49 AM permalink

Honeymoon period.

Possibly.

Quote:

She as not said anything in a week.

Not sure what you mean by this. She had a huge rally yesterday, and is doing several more over the next few days.

Quote:

Her Veep pick has some radical background that will eat into this.
link to original post

Also not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like it might get political so we probably should discuss it.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
August 7th, 2024 at 8:00:19 AM permalink

link to original post

Honeymoon period. She as not said anything in a week. Her Veep pick has some radical background that will eat into this.
link to original post

Do Duffman and EB have some immunity from getting suspended for Political posts that the rest of us don’t know about?
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
ams288
August 7th, 2024 at 8:35:36 AM permalink
Harris just passed Trump on Electionbettingodds.com. As I mentioned earlier, last time this happened was with Biden in April. We'll see how long Harris can hold the top spot.

Also, this is kind of funny:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 7th, 2024 at 8:40:21 AM permalink

Honeymoon period.

Possibly.

Quote:

She as not said anything in a week.

Not sure what you mean by this. She had a huge rally yesterday, and is doing several more over the next few days.

Quote:

Her Veep pick has some radical background that will eat into this.
link to original post

Also not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like it might get political so we probably should discuss it.
link to original post

I mean she has not done a presser in over 2 weeks.

I have pointed out some of his radicalism on the other site.
ams288
ams288
August 7th, 2024 at 8:42:36 AM permalink

Harris just passed Trump on Electionbettingodds.com. As I mentioned earlier, last time this happened was with Biden in April. We'll see how long Harris can hold the top spot.

Also, this is kind of funny:

link to original post

Gonna be a 3 month long “honeymoon” I guess.

It’s feeling a lot like 2008 out there right now.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 299
August 7th, 2024 at 12:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

link to original post

link to original post

Do Duffman and EB have some immunity from getting suspended for Political posts that the rest of us don’t know about?
link to original post

Ams got suspended for a political post?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ams288
ams288
August 7th, 2024 at 12:21:27 PM permalink

link to original post

I was suspended for a bit. No idea why.
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 7th, 2024 at 12:30:25 PM permalink
Senate Control:

GOP: 72.5%
DEM: 27.5%

House Control:

DEM: 60.5%
GOP: 39.5%

Source: Electionbettingodds.com, as of this post.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 7th, 2024 at 4:34:23 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The only time you've been suspended in the last 20 months is: 3 days suspension on March 9, 2023 for a personal insult. No biggie.

Here is the link to our Suspension List. If you click on the words describing the nature of your 3/9/23 offense it will bring you to the post that got you suspended. It's all water under the bridge now.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ams288
ams288
August 7th, 2024 at 4:40:46 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The only time you've been suspended in the last 20 months is: 3 days suspension on March 9, 2023 for a personal insult. No biggie.

Here is the link to our Suspension List. If you click on the words describing the nature of your 3/9/23 offense it will bring you to the post that got you suspended. It's all water under the bridge now.
link to original post

Don’t gaslight.

I was unable to post today and my name was red. DarkOz clearly noticed too.
darkoz
darkoz
August 7th, 2024 at 6:25:27 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Yes ams was in red for a brief time today.

Based on your response I would suspect some technical issue. Or perhaps a mod did it by accident. Last night there was an attack of sorts on the site with multiple fake accounts opened, spam posts and subsequent nukes. Maybe that's unrelated but perhaps AMS was accidentally knocked off in the defense of the site?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 7th, 2024 at 8:31:50 PM permalink

link to original post

It was me. I was going to suspend you for this post as having nothing to do with betting the election. However, it didn't betray what side what want to win, so I changed my mind. Consider it a five-minute suspension.
ams288
ams288
August 8th, 2024 at 3:39:18 AM permalink
New poll dropped late last night.

Quote:

Marquette National poll (A+), July 24-Aug 1

Head-to-head:
Kamala Harris 53%
Donald Trump 47%

3-way race:
Kamala Harris 50%
Donald Trump 42%
Kennedy Jr. 6%

Marquette's prior polls:
—May: Trump led 44/41
—March: 41/41 tie
—February: Trump 43/40

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 93
August 9th, 2024 at 8:51:20 AM permalink
https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2024/08/09/harris-has-vaulted-past-trump-as-the-bookies-favorite-to-win-presidential-election/
"Vice President Kamala Harris has now emerged as the bookmakers’ favorite to win the presidential election, highlighting her campaign’s momentum as she rapidly cut into former President Donald Trump’s lead in the betting markets over the past two weeks."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 9th, 2024 at 9:17:56 AM permalink
I invite all to read my article on Presential Election Betting at WoO.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 442
August 9th, 2024 at 10:29:13 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2024/08/09/harris-has-vaulted-past-trump-as-the-bookies-favorite-to-win-presidential-election/
"Vice President Kamala Harris has now emerged as the bookmakers’ favorite to win the presidential election, highlighting her campaign’s momentum as she rapidly cut into former President Donald Trump’s lead in the betting markets over the past two weeks."
link to original post

My advice to you is to take every dime you can find and bet on her to win. How could you possibly lose, her campaigns momentum is obviously unstoppable and will only grow larger as time goes on. I think you should even go into debt betting on her, that's the ticket.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
TigerWuams288
August 9th, 2024 at 11:08:51 AM permalink

link to original post

My advice to you is to take every dime you can find and bet on her to win. How could you possibly lose, her campaigns momentum is obviously unstoppable and will only grow larger as time goes on. I think you should even go into debt betting on her, that's the ticket.
link to original post

Why the snarky response????????
I posted Forbes article link with a quote from the article.
That's it. I made no comment.
The article is very appropriate for the narrow discussion this thread is restricted to. The article itself was not political.
It's pretty weird you are going snark on me making it personal.
It's almost as if you are upset the odds have changed and now need to take out your anger on me
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 442
August 9th, 2024 at 2:24:29 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The article is very appropriate for the narrow discussion this thread is restricted to. The article itself was not political.
It's almost as if you are upset the odds have changed and now need to take out your anger on me
link to original post

Nope, not upset at all. This is not November 1st, this is August 9th. Somebody made the same suggestion to me when I posted that Trump was ahead in the odds. But I didn't get upset because I don't take everything personally.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 9th, 2024 at 5:54:37 PM permalink
Electionbettingodds.com now has their Electoral college prediction at 276 to 262 in favor of the Democratic party.

Harris at 50.6%, Trump at 46.7%.
ams288
ams288
August 10th, 2024 at 5:35:28 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I shall risk incurring the wrath of EB by posting these brand new swing state polls without comment:

Quote:

New NYT/SIENA swing state polls (A+), Aug 5-9, LV

Michigan 🟦 Harris 50% 🟥 Trump 46%
Pennsylvania 🟦 Harris 50% 🟥 Trump 46%
Wisconsin 🟦 Harris 50% 🟥 Trump 46%

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 129
August 10th, 2024 at 7:20:25 AM permalink
I’m going to wait until I can get around +120 on Trump, and then I’ll bet. Maybe after the convention?
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 10th, 2024 at 7:47:41 AM permalink
For those that think Harris is in a "honeymoon period," when do you think that will end? Not looking for political discussions or reasons so as not to get the thread locked, just asking for a specific date or time period.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 10th, 2024 at 8:21:05 AM permalink

For those that think Harris is in a "honeymoon period," when do you think that will end? Not looking for political discussions or reasons so as not to get the thread locked, just asking for a specific date or time period.
link to original post

For one when she actually starts talking. No pressers in what 20 days? History shows the more she talks the less people like her.

For a second when Trump starts running more ads. He is clearly conserving general election funds while she can still spend primary funds donated for Biden. This happens every cycle and is why the party in power sets their convention late.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
TigerWu
August 10th, 2024 at 8:39:59 AM permalink

link to original post

For one when she actually starts talking. No pressers in what 20 days? History shows the more she talks the less people like her.

For a second when Trump starts running more ads. He is clearly conserving general election funds while she can still spend primary funds donated for Biden. This happens every cycle and is why the party in power sets their convention late.
link to original post

TigerWu asks for a specific time period or date.

Duffman provides…. this political post.

But no worries, he won’t even get a 5 min suspension cause he and EB are immune for some reason.
darkoz
darkoz
August 10th, 2024 at 9:04:07 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

TigerWu asks for a specific time period or date.

Duffman provides…. this political post.

But no worries, he won’t even get a 5 min suspension cause he and EB are immune for some reason.
link to original post

AZ's answer also shows how problematic Fox News can be. The suggestion that no one has heard Kamala talk in 20 days is ridiculous. I have watched her speeches every day.

And the suggestion she is only using Biden raised funds is also laughable. I guess Fox hasn't mentioned she has raised record breaking funds. Over $325 million SINCE she started running.

There is a reason her odds for winning are consistently rising (keeping this post in context of betting odds)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
RogerKint
August 10th, 2024 at 9:12:03 AM permalink
TigerWu, AZDuffman, ams288, darkoz all suspended for three days for political speech. If anyone feels I'm forgetting anyone, you may press charges against them.
terapined
terapined
August 11th, 2024 at 1:45:27 PM permalink
Nevada is a battleground state
Lots of visits to Vegas
Recent campaign rallies starkly different here in Vegas
Fascinating
Trump at Sunset Park vs Harris at the Thomas and Mack
One rally held outside in the brutal Vegas sun done on the cheap
One rally pays to rent a facility to provide all with AC
ChicagoSkinny
ChicagoSkinny
  • Threads: 4
August 11th, 2024 at 2:18:05 PM permalink
It amuses me that this thread appears to be 10% election odds discussion and 90% people arguing over who should be suspended or not.

In an effort to increase the 10%, I'll ask if anyone knows if you can bet on the EXACT electoral count. I know PI has a market for margin of victory and winner, but is there an opportunity anywhere to bet on one specific outcome?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 244
August 11th, 2024 at 2:58:13 PM permalink
I'm temporarily working for a political campaign in Tucson. Up until three weeks ago, we were hitting our money targets but were well below the ideal number of volunteers an effective campaign needs to get out the vote and generate enthusiasm. That has changed.
Arizona State alone has given us a couple hundred volunteers in the last month. The other party doesn't even have a dedicated campaign headquarters up and running yet.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 11th, 2024 at 10:10:59 PM permalink

Nevada is a battleground state
Lots of visits to Vegas
Recent campaign rallies starkly different here in Vegas
Fascinating
Trump at Sunset Park vs Harris at the Thomas and Mack
One rally held outside in the brutal Vegas sun done on the cheap
One rally pays to rent a facility to provide all with AC
link to original post

I don't see anything to do with betting the election in your post. Three days.

I'm getting close to closing the thread.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 11th, 2024 at 10:24:24 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm temporarily working for a political campaign in Tucson. Up until three weeks ago, we were hitting our money targets but were well below the ideal number of volunteers an effective campaign needs to get out the vote and generate enthusiasm. That has changed.
Arizona State alone has given us a couple hundred volunteers in the last month. The other party doesn't even have a dedicated campaign headquarters up and running yet.
link to original post

I don't see anything to do with BETTING the election in this post either. Three days. I haven't seen a substantive post about a bet in days. Thread closed for at least a week.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 15th, 2024 at 9:30:49 AM permalink

I was off on the 95%, actually 71% of never heard of him.

:"The poll found that only 17 percent of Americans view Walz favorably, while 12 percent view him unfavorably. The 17 and 12 percent marks appear to be so low because many Americans (71 percent) "

This is actually the first picture I've seen of him. If I was a minority living in the south what are the first thoughts that go through my head when I see this picture. They were my first thoughts, and I'm not even a minority. LOL
link to original post

This post is not compliant with the special rules of the betting the election thread. In particular, it has nothing to do with an actual wager. To be consistent with other recent similar suspensions, three days.
  • Jump to: